Moore is possibly a good coach

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Two thoughts here:

He wanted to call certain plays to use Dak's strengths and Linehan told him to STHU or

He's a clone of Linehan and he should have been fired along with him .

Hopefully the former!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cmac

Reaction score
I am not saying I agree with Moore (if he is the guy).
But look around the league. Teams are grabbing coaches off of the Andy Reid and McVey tree with little experience. I dont know the mind of Moore so i can't speak intelligently to his ability to coach offense in the nfl. He may be an offensive football wizard for all i know.

My original point was that we can't just look at what type of player Moore was as an indicator of the type of offense coach he would be.
The OP is attempting to say Moore would suck because he played at Boise and we are not Boise. I don't think it works that way.
Matt Nagy was the QB for University of Delaware Blue Hens. He is a pretty good coach for the Colts this year. Last I checked the colts were not running the Winged T like Nagy did in college.
Cool......however, Matt Nagy went up the ranks to make my point.....none of his current status happened overnight (2 yrs). Moore being considered to become a guru.....just don't see it so soon or as fast as JJ thinks to merit some success/stability. Don't see it at all.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I think the issue is he’s not qualified nor is anyone else on the offensive coaching staff qualified to run a whole nfl offense

Moore might can do the job but he doesn’t need to get his start here

This, go elsewhere to get the experience but not with the most popular team in the league.

SSoup

Reaction score
You're not going to find "the next McVay" on the open market. Teams don't let coaches that good go, and if they do, the coach has his choice of landing spots.

If you want your young, innnovative coach, you're going to have to take a chance on an unproven guy. SSoup's breakdown of Sean McVay's career prior to becoming an offensive coordinator was outstanding, and it should be added that he was only 27 when he got that OC gig.
Josh McDaniels with the Patriots was similar. A few years of vague low-level positions (including coaching the defensive side of the ball, oddly), 1 year as QB coach, and then handed the keys to their offense.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I’m not reading 5 pages but here is the issue and I posted this earlier today...18 offensive assistants have left Garrett and never have been promoted in the NFL. This offense is archaic in NFL standards and not something anyone runs so we promote within. No matter how smart he is we are hamstrung by the system Garrett wants. Linehan never had bad passing numbers until here. It’s a team system problem! Fact!

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm not championing Moore for OC, but neither am I dismissing him outright simply because he doesn't have x amount of experience. Someone, I don't remember who, asked the question how do you know when one has enough experience. The answer is you never do for sure and it varies from individual to individual. Also, did McVeigh NEED 6 years as an assistant position coach or did it just take that long for someone to be willing to take the risk?

But if one believes the OC needs more coaching experience, and that's fine, wouldn't that then also exclude Tony Romo? Yet many on here clamor for that, even to be HC. And I believe many are at the same time vehemently against Moore.

What I'm expecting is for the FO to do what any business does when searching for talent. Codify what it is they want from the position and then conduct a thorough interview to determine whether a candidate can deliver those needs. Personally, I would be looking for the candidate to bring fresh ideas, not necessarily a totally new playbook, whether I felt those ideas were inline with what I wanted and needed, and whether that individual could mesh with the existing personnel.

The biggest risk to me with Kellen Moore isn't his inexperience, but that he's currently inhouse. In my 35 years of middle and executive management, I was very wary of promoting from within because of the chance of becoming stagnant or myopic. But there is a risk to bringing in from outside as well - it's a balance.

Personally, the one individual I would not want is Josh McDaniels. I have zero confidence that he can or will be effective outside of NE. He wouldn't have Brady or Belichick here.

Just last week there was a tweet showing 4 out of 5 coaches from Belichick tree have losing records as head coaches.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Moore will likely be better at tailoring the game plan to fit what Dak does best.

It was the Rams OLine scheme that really killed the Cowboys. The Cowboys still miss Bill Callahan. Columbo is probably good at working with players but I don't expect any scheme change. The Hudson Houck scheme was never great, IMO. Tony Wise was the OL coach that developed the Super Bowl OLines and Bill Callahan was the guy that came in an made the OL great again a few years ago.

In Colombo defense, he took over during mid-season. Maybe having his unit a full season of training camp will make a difference.

JustChip

Reaction score
Exactly, couldn't remember which one had a winning record ( too lazy to it up lol ).

Just looked it up. There are 8 coaches from the BB tree and 2 had/have winning records, Al Groh at 9-7 and Bill O'Brien at 42-38. I didn't remember Nick Saban was from the BB tree, but he's listed at 15-17 for his Miami work.

For comparison, Andy Reid has 10 from his tree and 5 of them have winning records. Three of the 5 have taken a team to the Super Bowl and 2 have won it (John Harbaugh and Doug Pederson; Ron Rivera being the lone loser).

It sure seems it's better to go with a Andy Reid disciple than Bill Belichick.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just looked it up. There are 8 coaches from the BB tree and 2 had/have winning records, Al Groh at 9-7 and Bill O'Brien at 42-38. I didn't remember Nick Saban was from the BB tree, but he's listed at 15-17 for his Miami work.

For comparison, Andy Reid has 10 from his tree and 5 of them have winning records. Three of the 5 have taken a team to the Super Bowl and 2 have won it (John Harbaugh and Doug Pederson; Ron Rivera being the lone loser).

It sure seems it's better to go with a Andy Reid disciple than Bill Belichick.

Exactly.......Reid has built several teams with different personnel, especially at QB position and still won big. Truth is, I'm not sure Belichick would be that much better than Reid w/o Brady.