Twitter: Moose Johnston says the 1992 cowboys would destroy and Patriot team

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
92 Cowboys were better than any Pats team ever.
Very different level of elite teams pre Cap era.
Moose was asked the question goobers who are complaining.
It's what a week of media scrums get you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and to do it right you would also have to look at the context of the rules in 1992 as well.

BUT for talent overall its clear that the 92 boys have it all over any team now. BECAUSE FA and the CAP had not hit yet we had depth that was incredible in addition to near top of the league starters in many positions. You cannot build anything like the old dynasties now. I think the RAMS 2000 team came closest since they had a really fine D to go along with the greatest show on turf.

After that teams were either way over balanced (Ravens, Bucs on D; NO on O) or pretty much balanced as the Pats have usually been. Very good D and O but nothing like the tops D's and O's in the league but balanced enough to win when it matters - especially when you have the Top QB and HC together.
Most of the top players on the 1992 team were on their first 4 years in the league.

Under today's rules:
Aikman - Rookie contract
Emmitt -Rookie contract
Irving - 5th year option
Ken Norton - Rookie contract
Erik Williams -Rookie contract
Others that would be on their rookie contract:
Moose
Kevin Smith
Larry Brown
Maryland
Tony Tolbert
Darren Woodson
Dixon Edwards
Stepnoski
Godfrey Myles
Robert Jones
Chad Hennings
Jimmie Jones
Kenny Gant

mmohican29

Reaction score
In my mind- the '92 Cowboys are the greatest professional football team of all time, and I will tell you exactly why I feel that way.

Their only weakness was not being quite sure how formidable they actually were- because they were so young.

Once that team discovered in each game that they were the superior club- their excellence of execution and available talent would simply overwhelm opponents.

That team did something few Super Bowl Champions ever did. They demoralized other GREAT football teams.

Teams they faced could not believe they could be that good so fast.

The Eagles
The Niners
The Giants
The Commanders

All were phenomenal teams in '92. All SB worthy. The problem was that the young Cowboys were significantly better than that.

IMHO, the 92 NFC Championship probably saw 2 of the Top 5 teams EVER square off. And once the Cowboys found their legs- it was the veteran, dominant Niners who were displaced and found wanting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my mind- the '92 Cowboys are the greatest professional football team of all time, and I will tell you exactly why I feel that way.

Their only weakness was not being quite sure how formidable they actually were- because they were so young.

Once that team discovered in each game that they were the superior club- their excellence of execution and available talent would simply overwhelm opponents.

That team did something few Super Bowl Champions ever did. They demoralized other GREAT football teams.

Teams they faced could not believe they could be that good so fast.

The Eagles
The Niners
The Giants
The Commanders

All were phenomenal teams in '92. All SB worthy. The problem was that the young Cowboys were significantly better than that.

IMHO, the 92 NFC Championship probably saw 2 of the Top 5 teams EVER square off. And once the Cowboys found their legs- it was the veteran, dominant Niners who were displaced and found wanting.
It is fun to debate it but that 70's Steeler team and the 80's Niners would be in that argument. The one thing they all had in common was what made all 3 great, balance. Outstanding defenses and the ability to control the ball on offense. Teams had to run the ball back then.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
It is fun to debate it but that 70's Steeler team and the 80's Niners would be in that argument. The one thing they all had in common was what made all 3 great, balance. Outstanding defenses and the ability to control the ball on offense. Teams had to run the ball back then.

Agree but JJ had this team humming in all area's and that team speed would have over taken the stealers and 80's niners. Plus our ST's were no joke.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
I agree, that 92 team would destroy most of the teams that played in the Superbowl and simply beat the rest. But that 26-year reach back into history is really getting painful.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Yep, and I'll take the 60's Pack, 70's Boys and Steelers and Vikings, 80's Niners over any Patriots SB team. Since FA, the Pats are just the cutest puppy in an ugly litter.
Lmao at the 60s Pack, or the teams from the 70s. The 07 Patriots team destroys any team from the sixties or seventies and gives ANY team from any era hell

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The 07 Pats would have given the 92 boys a better game than the stealers and 80's niners but we would have still won.

Fmart322

Reaction score
The reason is statement is probably true is because of free agency and the lack of depth it provides teams. Those 90s Cowboys team were deep teams were deep in many positions. Let's face it, free agency came at the worst possible time for the Cowboys. Had it started in the year 2000 for instance the Cowboys would have dominated all of the 90s. (With Jimmy Johnson)

Fmart322

Reaction score
The 07 Pats would have given the 92 boys a better game than the stealers and 80's niners but we would have still won.
Those 49ers teams we played in the NFC championship games during the 90s we're great teams too. They would have been just as successful as the 90s Cowboys in this era of free agency. Just not as successful as the Cowboys naturally.

Texasfootball21

Reaction score
Cowboys were so good in the early 90s we should have won four titles in a row if it wasn't for the 49ers NFC Championship game we slipped up on. To bad Jimmy didn't stay another year or more. I didn't mind Switzer though. Total dominance!

JustChip

Reaction score
Cowboys were so good in the early 90s we should have won four titles in a row if it wasn't for the 49ers NFC Championship game we slipped up on. To bad Jimmy didn't stay another year or more. I didn't mind Switzer though. Total dominance!

That NFCC game was lost on 2 plays, actually 1 play with 2 consequences - the total BS non-PI call on Deion. Not only did we not get the call, but then Moonshiner's Son compounds by getting a 15 yard Unsportsmanlike penalty for going on the field to argue.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Cowboys would control the game and the clock....Our DL rotation was unmatched.
They'd frustrate #12.

rkell87

Reaction score
When did the 92 cowboys play the eagles, Rams or Commanders in the Superbowl
What does playing in the Super Bowl have to do with anything? Moose said the 92 cowboys would beat any of the patriots teams or any other team for that matter but they lost three games that season. They were a damn good team but morons acting like it's a foregone conclusion that the other great teams of the past wouldn't stand a chance is exactly why other fans groan when they meet cowboys fans.