More aggressive offense next year

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Last year we were ranked 7th in yards and 5th in points. We did this with the 2nd to last pass attempts in the league....

While I'm not saying we should forsake the run, but we can certainly become more dynamic with the pieces we have around us. We can better incorporate players like Beasley and Escobar for instance.

I'm a strong believer that the success of our running game was due mainly to our investments in the offensive line. I was not at all upset to see Murray leave. I also don't think we should break the bank for Dez. A lot of people got angry with someone who posted the idea of trading Dez, but in doing so they revealed that they don't understand cost-benefit ratios or relative risk.

I'm not upset that we didn't re-sign many of the players we lost in free agency. I am however not pleased that we didn't go after certain players that were affordable for what they would have given us. The onus is really going to be on the front office and Marinelli to produce a stellar defense next year, a defense that doesn't rely on us running the ball the entire game to keep them off the field. One that will allow us to be aggressive on offense and force teams to take undue risks to keep up. Hopefully we can do that with Hardy, but the major concern with him right now is simply that our offense won't be good enough to win games if our defense can't be suitable without him. A poor start could really hamper what should have been an easy regular season for us and a pretty easy road to the NFC Championship game.

I really hope that the front office isn't putting too much confidence in these coaches or their drafting abilities.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
The cost benefit ratio of trading Dez away is lopsided.

A whole year of picks does not replace what Dez brings to the table.

Do you really think that teams will be scared if we line up Terrance Williams, Devin Street, and Cole Beasley out wide with Escobar at TE?

They'll stack 8 in the box and kill us.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

A whole year of picks does not replace what Dez brings to the table.

Do you really think that teams will be scared if we line up Terrance Williams, Devin Street, and Cole Beasley out wide with Escobar at TE?

They'll stack 8 in the box and kill us.

Who are the Patriots' wide receivers? What about the Seahawks last year?

The Cowboys FO made a pretty poor decision in franchising Dez.

You either franchise him and trade him or you sign him long term and over pay him if you have to.

They should have used the franchise tag on Murray and traded him out of the NFC like the Eagles did. They could have at least gotten a player or a pick(s) for it, which would have made up for paying Dez a bit more than they wanted to.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Who are the Patriots' wide receivers? What about the Seahawks last year?

The Cowboys FO made a pretty poor decision in franchising Dez.

You either franchise him and trade him or you sign him long term and over pay him if you have to.

They should have used the franchise tag on Murray and traded him out of the NFC like the Eagles did. They could have at least gotten a player or a pick(s) for it, which would have made up for paying Dez a bit more than they wanted to.

Seattle and New England have really good defenses.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I'm not clear on the thesis of this thread. It seems a collection of loosely connected ideas. What's the bottom line? You think trading Dez is a good idea? But you want a more aggressive offense? But you're concerned the offence might not be good enough if the defence isn't stellar? What?

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Which is precisely what this team needs to put together and what is precisely more difficult by spending 10+ million on skill position players on offense...

I don't think Dez's contract is keeping the defense from being very good. I think it's a mixture of the team having drafted offense first the past few years and the switching from 3-4 to 4-3.

They are drafting really well lately and I think the Cowboys could have a legitimately good defense by midseason, if they draft appropriately.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

A whole year of picks does not replace what Dez brings to the table...

The only way you would know if the cost/benefit being lopsided is if you know the contract demands by Dez and his agent. And you don't. If Dez wants Calvin Johnson money and then some, then it ain't worth it. Only a fixed amount of money to spread out. And a major injury to a player with that high of a salary can kill the cap easily.

And yes, a whole year of picks can replace what Dez does. Look at last year's rookie WR crop was excellent. In hindsight, a team could have drafted Beckham or Benjamin or Evans in the 1st and Martavis Bryant in the 4th and had a really good pair of WRs.

joseephuss

Reaction score
They ranked 31st in pass attempts; however, they ranked 16th in pass yards, in yards per completion, 4th in pass TDs and 1st in TD% per attempt. Seems pretty aggressive to me when they did decide to throw the ball.

TommyBoy21

Reaction score
Our offensive strategy last year protected our defense as best it could. I'd rather our offense be efficient and play into what's best for the team.

If our defense is improved this year, then fine, I can see them being more aggressive. I feel good about Garrett understanding the situations the team is in and playing to their strengths