More aggressive offense next year

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
the cowboys are the cowboys... they have an identity.. they're not the pats, or the saints.... or team c or whatever...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but what choice did they have? Had to control the clock with our defense being what it was.

No question the offense had to take some of the pressure off the defense by controlling the clock.

But I'll tell ya in the second half of the season especially the predictability of running the ball on first down seemed to hold the offense back because defenses were selling out to stop the run.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
No question the offense had to take some of the pressure off the defense by controlling the clock.

But I'll tell ya in the second half of the season especially the predictability of running the ball on first down seemed to hold the offense back because defenses were selling out to stop the run.

No argument here, I don't think any one thought the defense was going to be as good as it was. I still don't think we could have went score for score with many teams. It was a sacrifice the offence had to make. I don't think it will be as vital this season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No argument here, I don't think any one thought the defense was going to be as good as it was. I still don't think we could have went score for score with many teams. It was a sacrifice the offence had to make. I don't think it will be as vital this season.

I hope it's not as vital to do the "control the clock" thing this year.

bark

Reaction score
Arizona is shaping up to be a bump on that easy road

sbark

Reaction score
Having a rb that can take it to the house on any given play, will make it seem our off. is more aggressive, Opposing D's brought the SS into the box, its why Dez started getting singled up, a homerun hitter back there will have the FS creeping up, opening up the passing game even more.

joseephuss

Reaction score

No it didn't. The offense averaged 26.6 points per game in the first 8 games. They averaged 31.8 points per game in the last 8 games. They averaged 41.3 points per game over the final 4 games of the season.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I can't believe some of the responses in this thread. For once, in the longest of times it seems, the Cowboys started doing things the way they've been needing to do it: by running the damned football!

It's about more than just lighting up the scoreboard. It is demoralizing to the opposite team. It makes a mediocre defense good and a good defense great. It made the nation's whipping boy (Romo) the most efficient QB in the entire league last season. Dallas is in a position to line up and do what this team hasn't done since the 90's: Line up, have the offensive line look at the man across from him, know that he's going to whip his opponent's ***, know that the opponent knows he's going to whip his ***, tell him about it, and then do it. Wear that defense down and force the opponent's offense to know that every single possession is going to be critical against a defense that is fresh and fast.

There's absolutely zero reason to change the formula that put Dallas in a position to get to and win the Super Bowl. I have no doubt that had Dallas beaten Green Bay that they would have whipped Seattle's *** and good the next week. From there, anything can happen. I see it this way. Only five teams found a way to beat Dallas last year and it sure as hell wasn't because they all didn't know what was coming. They all knew what we were trying to do and a select few found a way to stop it ( and 1 1/2 of those games was without our starting QB).

Just like the 90's. The opponent knew what we were coming with. We knew we were going to kick their *** and so did our opponent. More of the same with an effective defense, please.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't think Dez's contract is keeping the defense from being very good. I think it's a mixture of the team having drafted offense first the past few years and the switching from 3-4 to 4-3.

They are drafting really well lately and I think the Cowboys could have a legitimately good defense by midseason, if they draft appropriately.

Yep pretty much. There is a lack of continuity, so our defense can never gel. Now that we have an established coordinator who will be here for years, we can actually start building a defensive concept.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Duck I made a similar thread saying lets get Dez a few more targets and ppl said I want to abandon the run

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'd rather see us keep doing what we are doing. Less is more with Romo. Once he starts throwing more than 35 passes, his performance drops on those particular passes. And we still need to protect the defense. Remember, defensive players have historically gotten injured more than twice the time than offensive players. So by throwing more often it means the defense will be on the field longer and will have more chances of getting injured.

We may not win games 41-23 in the regular season, but we'll protect our QB (he's also 35 years old), make the offense very efficient, keep our defense off the field and keep ourselves healthy come January.

YR

50cent

Reaction score
I can't believe some of the responses in this thread. For once, in the longest of times it seems, the Cowboys started doing things the way they've been needing to do it: by running the damned football!

It's about more than just lighting up the scoreboard. It is demoralizing to the opposite team. It makes a mediocre defense good and a good defense great. It made the nation's whipping boy (Romo) the most efficient QB in the entire league last season. Dallas is in a position to line up and do what this team hasn't done since the 90's: Line up, have the offensive line look at the man across from him, know that he's going to whip his opponent's ***, know that the opponent knows he's going to whip his ***, tell him about it, and then do it. Wear that defense down and force the opponent's offense to know that every single possession is going to be critical against a defense that is fresh and fast.

There's absolutely zero reason to change the formula that put Dallas in a position to get to and win the Super Bowl. I have no doubt that had Dallas beaten Green Bay that they would have whipped Seattle's *** and good the next week. From there, anything can happen. I see it this way. Only five teams found a way to beat Dallas last year and it sure as hell wasn't because they all didn't know what was coming. They all knew what we were trying to do and a select few found a way to stop it ( and 1 1/2 of those games was without our starting QB).

Just like the 90's. The opponent knew what we were coming with. We knew we were going to kick their *** and so did our opponent. More of the same with an effective defense, please.

This! Any idea having Romo throw it 30+ times is a had idea.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
The only way you would know if the cost/benefit being lopsided is if you know the contract demands by Dez and his agent. And you don't. If Dez wants Calvin Johnson money and then some, then it ain't worth it. Only a fixed amount of money to spread out. And a major injury to a player with that high of a salary can kill the cap easily.

And yes, a whole year of picks can replace what Dez does. Look at last year's rookie WR crop was excellent. In hindsight, a team could have drafted Beckham or Benjamin or Evans in the 1st and Martavis Bryant in the 4th and had a really good pair of WRs.

If he wants Calvin money, (20 mil) you offer him 17 max and convince him to sign. He is literally the heart and soul of this team. He will be signed long term.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
I'd rather see us keep doing what we are doing. Less is more with Romo. Once he starts throwing more than 35 passes, his performance drops on those particular passes. And we still need to protect the defense. Remember, defensive players have historically gotten injured more than twice the time than offensive players. So by throwing more often it means the defense will be on the field longer and will have more chances of getting injured.

We may not win games 41-23 in the regular season, but we'll protect our QB (he's also 35 years old), make the offense very efficient, keep our defense off the field and keep ourselves healthy come January.

YR

It's a tough battle. The ability of Romo and our receiving threats makes high volume passing not a bad decision, depending on matchup. However, like you said, protecting the defense, and Romo (and his back) are also paramount to success, and scaling back on the pass and running frequently behind our oline is not a bad decision.

It's a good problem to have, but it also creates other issues for the staff and puts a lot of of pressure on them to formulate the correct gameplan and call the right plays in game.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
This! Any idea having Romo throw it 30+ times is a had idea.

Any idea? Come on now, Stop playing it to the extreme. Romo is boarderline top 5 in the league. There are several times when Romo throwing it is not only appropriate, but the correct decision.