More McCarthy Mismanagement?

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
------It seems the fix is pretty easy - hire someone to basically manage the clock for him during the game.

Not calling you stupid, but do you have ANY idea how stupid that sounds? He isn't calling plays...what else does he have to do that has his head so spinning, that he cannot manage a freakin clock??? This is like a situation where the President of a company gives his stupid kid a big title job, but hires others to watch over him. This isn't that case....there is NOTHING keeping Booger from jettisoning this boob before he costs us dearly....seriously, what DOES he do well???
No offense taken - but I'm guessing it sounds just as stupid as your response. You know there probably are more aspects to being a head coach than the clock. I'm just guessing there is or ANYONE could be out there coaching right now if that was all it took. Including my 7 yr old son who seems to have a better grasp that MM does with clock management.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nantz raised this during the game and it caught my eye too, but a Pats beat writer summarized it well:

“Mysteriously bad clock management by Dallas at the end of the first half. With the clock ticking down, the Cowboys used their final timeout just before Mac Jones knelt on third down. Had they waited till he knelt and then called timeout, they'd have forced New England, deep in their own end and without any timeouts of their own, to punt. Instead, the Patriots went into halftime with a 14-10 lead. The Cowboys cost themselves a chance at one last possession by doing this.”

I’ve never seen a coach consistently look more flustered and lost than McCarthy with game management; 1) to not understand the game situation and opportunity to give your team another shot with the ball; 2) to finally recognize the situation (late) and call a timeout, but at the wrong moment (i.e., called TO before he knelt).
He is the worst I have ever seen. It like he has never coached before. And his decision to go for it on 4th down on first drive was just plain stupid.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Nantz raised this during the game and it caught my eye too, but a Pats beat writer summarized it well:

“Mysteriously bad clock management by Dallas at the end of the first half. With the clock ticking down, the Cowboys used their final timeout just before Mac Jones knelt on third down. Had they waited till he knelt and then called timeout, they'd have forced New England, deep in their own end and without any timeouts of their own, to punt. Instead, the Patriots went into halftime with a 14-10 lead. The Cowboys cost themselves a chance at one last possession by doing this.”

I’ve never seen a coach consistently look more flustered and lost than McCarthy with game management; 1) to not understand the game situation and opportunity to give your team another shot with the ball; 2) to finally recognize the situation (late) and call a timeout, but at the wrong moment (i.e., called TO before he knelt).
He’s bad, but after 10 years of Garrett it really doesn’t look any different. TheCowboys have perfected clock mismanagement and taken it to levels no one could even imagine.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
OMG. Leave the man alone already. You really think this team would be where they're at w/Garrett?! No one knows what goes on at the sidelines.

There's not going to be perfect coaching. If you wish to analyze a coach, start a thread on Quinn with all those penalties his defense had. But "we" won't do that because there's no hate for Quinn. Some of this fanbase is never satisfied no matter what. Get over it. They won!

Ignore list is getting bigger & bigger!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Games that should not have been that close but for ....

McCARTHY
true, but even the great bilicheck made some bone headed calls yesterday....

but yeah, the clock mismanagement at the end of the half was bad.

I had no issue with the 4th down and going for it on our first drive in our end....if you are going to take a risk, do it early so you have time to recover and it sends a message to the team. we will not settle.

you noticed at the end of the game, he kicked a field goal. instead of going for it. not enough time to recover...plus everyone complains we should have gone for it, yet on 4 other occasions we failed to get one yard......so there is that....

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
How anyone could be complaining after a 5-1 start and the team walking around with SWAG it hasn’t had since the mid-90’s is a testament to why fan is short for fanatic. These takes on McCarthy are unhinged drivel.

Yeah, he’s had some clock management issues in the first six games. Ok. Yea he needs to get this ish fixed. Yet, some of you act like it’s irreversible pancreatic cancer. It’s clock management. It’s not that hard.

This is where the jumping point begins and the unhinged ravings start.

Some of you think this man, a professional football coach with decades of NFL experience and a SB trophy, is too stupid to figure out what any idiot could reason for themselves while they were half asleep.

The rest of us, not wanting to commit a reductio ad absurdum fallacy, understand that this is something eminently fixable given Mike McCarthy understands more advanced notions of football strategy than 99% of the American population and can certainly grasp clock management.

To give you gripers an analogy, you’re essentially claiming that a teacher that instructs advanced calculus can’t figure out how to add and subtract.

Lol hysterical…

Gorgon

Reaction score
As long as we keep winning and McCarthy keeps up with his time warp trouble, I'll not complain.:thumbup:

I value the wins, far more than having his clock woes to whine about.

:popcorn:
I agree. Coaches do so much more than clock management. He very clearly has this team bought in, vs. Garrett. We don't see all the little things, which DO appear in the Ws. I'll take those any day, and criticize clock management all you want.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
He’s had some clock management issues, but I have no issue with the aggressive play calling early in the game.

Going for it on 4th and 1 early made sense to me. The Patriots were 2-3 and struggling to score, meanwhile our offense was and still is playing great football.

I honestly liked the call.

kramskoi

Reaction score
McC has always had this tendency but just like in GB, he had a prolific offense and a QB to minimize the effect of that.

Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall in closed door meetings with the Joneses and McClay considering they might have two of the hotter HC candidates on staff?
Coordinators don't always make great head-coaches. Ten years under Garrett should've taught you that. Norv Turner didn't do so well when he got his chance.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If we lost 2-3 of these games this would be a much bigger story. But winning is the salve that heals all wounds. I can’t help but feel this is going to crop up at the most inopportune moment for the team.
If we lost? But we didn't. You chicken littles that fight fires with hypothetical scenarios are a tin foil hat away from the looney bin.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
OMG. Leave the man alone already. You really think this team would be where they're at w/Garrett?! No one knows what goes on at the sidelines.

There's not going to be perfect coaching. If you wish to analyze a coach, start a thread on Quinn with all those penalties his defense had. But "we" won't do that because there's no hate for Quinn. Some of this fanbase is never satisfied no matter what. Get over it. They won!

Ignore list is getting bigger & bigger!
Oh, Quinn in charge of when our players should draw flags?

Mannix

Reaction score
Hmmmm….

He’s a boob huh?

Interesting take. Is it possible that you don’t know what the BLEEP! you’re talking about?

Is that possible?

Just wondering…
Just watched the first 15 minutes of Get Up on ESPN and Corky got TORCHED by the panel....ask ANY Green Bay fan what they think of his game management skills, if you don't want to buy anything I'm saying.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I've been saying this all alone. It's one thing to say "we won" in the regular season. But in the playoffs, when the stakes are higher, the consequences are greater and when you need to be sharp in all four phases of the game - offense, defense, special teams and coaching - it's not the time to dismiss obvious inadequacies.

In order to get to the Super Bowl, we're going to have to wade through either the Packers, the Cardinals, the Rams or the Bucs. It is then when these deficiencies will surface. And we'd better have a team like the 70s Steelers to rise above inept coaching.

As for the future, I think if McCarthy falls short of the Super Bowl (especially if McCarthy commits some egregious error in the playoffs), he's gone to be replaced by Kellen Moore. Jerry will eat McCarthy's contract. Jerry doesn't want to lose Kellen. And I believe Kellen has more pull with the organization - and authority - than McCarthy. Garrett proved not to be Jerry's Landry. McCarthy really isn't going to be his Landry. He's a figurehead. But Kellen fits the bill. He and Quinn are really the head coaches of the team. They and Dak. McCarthy is the inspirational watermelon smasher. And if it were left up to him, Nolan would still be the defensive coordinator. :rolleyes:

Beaker42

Reaction score
If we lost 2-3 of these games this would be a much bigger story. But winning is the salve that heals all wounds. I can’t help but feel this is going to crop up at the most inopportune moment for the team.
No - he’s gonna cost us BIG TIME in a vital game because the clown keeps doing it. He’s totally freaking clueless.

conner01

Reaction score
He went for it inside our own 35 on the first possession. Then he went on to make many other coaching misfires, some by using inaction. He tries to inject himself into games when he's not needed at all.

He's a good PR guy and can deliver a speech with the best of them. He's got excellent coaching and player connections. He might even be a great play caller if given the chance. But his real-time decision making as a head coach is Garrett-esque.
I had no problem going early for the 4th and one
It’s different after they’ve stopped you over and over but at that point they hadn’t

conner01

Reaction score

Watch Andy Reid

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Big Mike should work with a time-management guru during the bye.

It shouldn’t be hard to improve in this important area.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I'd like more information on this, it could have very well been a coordinator call.

MM gets all the blame as a HC should....but you can bet your last dollar...he doesn't make the call without talking with his OC's. KM and DQ have to have a play called and be on board with the decision or it would bring anomisty to the coaching staff.....MM is a strong enough to take the heat....but some fans like to flame the fires wanting Garrett back