More McCarthy Mismanagement?

NeverBeGameOver

Reaction score
I'd say McCarthy is overanalyzed. The team looks as good as it has since '07, yet he gets no credit. The 'accident waiting to happen' vibe just doesn't seem to be there this year, yet he gets no credit.

All we here about him from fans and media are every little mistake he makes. Many of them coming from hindsight. You could scrutinize just about any coach this way.

Not saying he's great, but I see a massive improvement over Garrett that fans should be grateful for. The offense is elite, the defense gets turnovers, and the team's vibe has changed to that of a winning culture. in previous years, we'd typically find ways to lose close games like yesterday. This year we're finding ways to win. McCarthy deserves some credit for that.

Be happy to be in the Superbowl discussion.

cowboyec

Reaction score
he took his team into new england and got a win during a game where it seemed everything that could go wrong...did.
yet they navigated thru that.
that doesn't just happen on its own.
thats preperation.
thats coaching.
and its why his team is 5-1.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know its crazy.....I like our staff....but I don't think Moore and Quinn can lead men as a head coach as well as McCarthy can.

I was around for the Jimmy years but I rarely remember them. My heyday are the grand Gailey, Campo, Garret, et. years lol.

This is just different. McCarthy isn't some big hard *** rah rah guy. He carries this team and himself like its "business as usual". They don't take themselves as serious as a Bellicheat team does but it doesn't feel as "forced" as a Garrett team does. I don't think Moore or Quinn can do what McCarthy does. Its just a perfect combination of everyone involved.
One has to become a HC somehow. You’re not born one and you don’t know until it’s tried. We are blessed with 2 awesome coordinators and I my opinion a good, but less than awesome HC. I know what I would do…. ;);)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One has to become a HC somehow. You’re not born one and you don’t know until it’s tried. We are blessed with 2 awesome coordinators and I my opinion a good, but less than awesome HC. I know what I would do…. ;);)

Its a tough decision....unfortunately I don't think there's a decision where we come out unscathed.If we kept Moore and let McCarthy go it would hurt us. If we let Moore go it would hurt us. Can't escape it I guess it just depends how do you hurt yourself less....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He is flat out awful....so what is it that he does do so well that he should even get to stand on the sidelines?
Its easy to see if you are around here when Garrett was here. Preparation. He has this team ready each and every Sunday. Garrett's teams just felt they could show up and out talent the opposing team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If at the end of the season Jerry has to decide between Moore or Quinn over McCarthy, I really hope he chooses Moore or Quinn. This is a repetitive conversation we are having about game management with McCarthy.

I think McCarthy is a part of the culture change that is happening but that's all he's bringing to the table that I can see. I feel Xs and Os are Quinn and Moore. Culture is important but so is scoring points and having more possessions during the game.

I get that but then we have Moore Clock mismanagement threads next year

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I try not to think about it but Romo yesterday seemed to think Moore is gone for sure. I don't think Quinn is just yet but man......I think Moore might be gone if the right team comes along. I guess it depends on what job opens up.
I would not be surprised if someone from LV has already reached out to gauge interest and other than DEN, SEA or SF, that's the closest he can get to home.

Moore has to consider can he get it done with Carr in LV or Fields in CHI and we do not know what HC's might be on the bubble if the owner and GM think the right guy is available, like in ATL or MIA.

I do not see a QB coming out that a team pulls a Kingsbury and gets the HC for the QB. Don't see a Lawrence or Herbert ion this draft.

The other thing to consider is he could take a college HC job, like maybe LSU?

Mannix

Reaction score
------I'd say McCarthy is overanalyzed.

How can you say that? I will go to my grave thinking that Barry Switzer's lack of attention to detail cost us home field in the 1994 season, and ultimately a 3rd Championship in a row. Come back with that same statement when we end up playing in LA, Phoenix or Green Bay for the NFC Championship.

Reactions: BAT

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It seems the fix is pretty easy - hire someone to basically manage the clock for him during the game.

The team is obviously behind him and they feel more together than in years past.

In regards to the TO - I'm thinking there was some miscommunication from the officials to him on it. Was a pretty confusing situation with the two penalties called on the same play, with one being a loss of down. Heck I was confused and yelling to call the TO as well - since CBS had it as 2nd down too. I can't fault him on that. (still want to know what Williams did to get the 15 yd penalty - either they didn't show it or I missed it)

The 4th and 1 - missed FG, I was PO'd about that and might have called him a couple names there. I'd guess in the league that is a 50/50 split on what teams would do.

Mannix

Reaction score
------It seems the fix is pretty easy - hire someone to basically manage the clock for him during the game.

Not calling you stupid, but do you have ANY idea how stupid that sounds? He isn't calling plays...what else does he have to do that has his head so spinning, that he cannot manage a freakin clock??? This is like a situation where the President of a company gives his stupid kid a big title job, but hires others to watch over him. This isn't that case....there is NOTHING keeping Booger from jettisoning this boob before he costs us dearly....seriously, what DOES he do well???

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would not be surprised if someone from LV has already reached out to gauge interest and other than DEN, SEA or SF, that's the closest he can get to home.

Moore has to consider can he get it done with Carr in LV or Fields in CHI and we do not know what HC's might be on the bubble if the owner and GM think the right guy is available, like in ATL or MIA.

I do not see a QB coming out that a team pulls a Kingsbury and gets the HC for the QB. Don't see a Lawrence or Herbert ion this draft.

The other thing to consider is he could take a college HC job, like maybe LSU?
I didn’t even think about college….was he offered the Boise st job or did he not interview? Forgot how that story went.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He is flat out awful....so what is it that he does do so well that he should even get to stand on the sidelines?
we are 5-1. we have won close games. it doesn't happen by chance.....yes, some bad clock management issues. but the cultural change, the togetherness of this team and the coaches and how he has allowed his coaches to do what they do best and not control them.....he is making the team mentally tough.....in years past , this team would have folded in a game like this. we weren't resilient. we seem to be now.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
------It seems the fix is pretty easy - hire someone to basically manage the clock for him during the game.

Not calling you stupid, but do you have ANY idea how stupid that sounds? He isn't calling plays...what else does he have to do that has his head so spinning, that he cannot manage a freakin clock??? This is like a situation where the President of a company gives his stupid kid a big title job, but hires others to watch over him. This isn't that case....there is NOTHING keeping Booger from jettisoning this boob before he costs us dearly....seriously, what DOES he do well???

Hmmmm….

He’s a boob huh?

Interesting take. Is it possible that you don’t know what the BLEEP! you’re talking about?

Is that possible?

Just wondering…

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
we are 5-1. we have won close games. it doesn't happen by chance.....yes, some bad clock management issues. but the cultural change, the togetherness of this team and the coaches and how he has allowed his coaches to do what they do best and not control them.....he is making the team mentally tough.....in years past , this team would have folded in a game like this. we weren't resilient. we seem to be now.

Games that should not have been that close but for ....

McCARTHY

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
He called a TO with 25 seconds on the clock to kick the field goal to go to OT. That gave them a free possession.
That didn’t make any sense to me either. Hopefully a beat writer gets an opportunity to ask him about that.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Games that should not have been that close but for ....

McCARTHY
That’s not true at all. We had turnovers, untimely penalties, player mistakes, and bad officiating contributing to how close this game was. McCarthy isn’t a stone tied to our feet keeping us from swimming.

The negative overreactions on this board are comical.