Twitter: More on Collins Suspension

KC10Sooner

Reaction score
I keep reading all the blame on lael for this situation and while he does have some fault.
Can we all just discuss the lack of common sense from the league in this deal.

by all accounts. The tested him every 3 days for the last 18 months. I know of zero positive results. First. Doesn’t that seem extremely excessive?
Second. The whole substance abuse program is an intervention deal to keep players off substance abuse issues.
This seems like a real over reach by the league.

5 games? Where does that number come from? Has he been fined for any of the previous misses?

From my reading of the NFLPA policy on substance abuse. He actually would’ve been better off failing a test as it’s only 4 games. Why 5 after passing over 170 other piss tests?
It’s just insane.

dogberry

Reaction score
It is the the off-season, and a wealthy NFL player schedules a trip to a remote Northern Canadian fishing location.

One can only fly in and there is no email or phone service.

How does the Drug Testing Service handle this situation?

Flamma

Reaction score
The league won't lose. They can suspend Zeke for half a season with no charges and let the Giants kicker beat on his wife repeatedly. Don't tell me about rules.

I'm not talking about judgements calls where they can basically do what they please. I'm talking about rules concerning prescription drugs and drug testing. All unions have specific rules.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It is the the off-season, and a wealthy NFL player schedules a trip to a remote Northern Canadian fishing location.

One can only fly in and there is no email or phone service.

How does the Drug Testing Service handle this situation?

LOL.......Cmon.............you have a test, you make it. If he is getting suspended for multiple misses then there is no excuse. Im sure the NFL doesnt just tell you one day before you have a test.

DanA

Reaction score
Does anyone believe this was the complete picture? You can feed the press all the hearsay you want anonymously, it doesn't make it true. How many players area suspended for missing tests, I've never heard of it, and Collins can't be the first guy that missed a test due to a funeral or operation.

CWR

Reaction score
I'm not talking about judgements calls where they can basically do what they please. I'm talking about rules concerning prescription drugs and drug testing. All unions have specific rules.

Those aren't judgement calls. The league has specific parameters for specific offenses. Its just a matter of when they decide to follow their own rules.

Flamma

Reaction score
Those aren't judgement calls. The league has specific parameters for specific offenses. Its just a matter of when they decide to follow their own rules.

Apparently 6 weeks is what they could give Zeke. Not punishing someone else that did the same thing or worse is never fought by the union.

CWR

Reaction score
Apparently 6 weeks is what they could give Zeke. Not punishing someone else that did the same thing or worse is never fought by the union.

Right, of course no one is going to fight a shorter suspension. It's people like Zeke who have to fight in order to show precedence of lighter penalties for others. However, that's when the league simple refers to their rule book. They are maddeningly inconsistent.

Flamma

Reaction score
Right, of course no one is going to fight a shorter suspension. It's people like Zeke who have to fight in order to show precedence of lighter penalties for others. However, that's when the league simple refers to their rule book. They are maddeningly inconsistent.

I agree 100%. But technically speaking they're not breaking any rules. No one gets a pass because someone else did. That's not how it works.

CWR

Reaction score
I agree 100%. But technically speaking they're not breaking any rules. No one gets a pass because someone else did. That's not how it works.

Agreed, they just pick and choose when to enforce them, to who, and to what extent. They know what they can get away with regardless of how foul it is.