Video: More on Eligible Receivers - Detroit was copying a Belicheat Play Made Illegal

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
So your premise is that the D after hearing #68 is eligible would be like "We dont care we are covering #70 anyway"? its wasnt a break the D did exactly what they should've done a covered the legally eligible guy and left the illegally uneligible guy uncovered...
It's not about whether Dallas wouldn't cover him, teams use offensive linemen as eligible receiver all the time, Baltimore did it against Miami and scored a TD using it, do you think Miami wouldn't cover it either......The Lions executed the play as it was designed, the reporting of the player was the mistake by the ref on the play, not the Cowboys.....It was dumb that the lions after the flag continued to try for two points instead of kicking the extra point and going to overtime.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Teams use Eligible offensive linemen call all the time and score.....Baltimore did it against Miami and scored..
Even Rich Eisen gets it..The Lions executed the play perfectly as it was designed, but the ref said the wrong number reported..make no sense for an eligible player to line up in an ineligible illegal formation

False premise.

Why send 3 lineman to the ref??? The intent was obvious.

Why spread out 58 in a normal eligible receiver position?

Stop listening talking heads. Fake News.

Flamma

Reaction score
So your premise is that the D after hearing #68 is eligible would be like "We dont care we are covering #70 anyway"? its wasnt a break the D did exactly what they should've done a covered the legally eligible guy and left the illegally uneligible guy uncovered...
#70 was the only guy that reported. That's who was announced. That's what the ref told the Cowboys. So naturally they ignored #68 even though he lined up eligible. But #70 lined up at RG. The RT was standing up 5 yards to his right. They were trying to draw coverage on the RG, the one that reported. Then the RT shifts into his normal position, making #70 completely ineligible. They were trying to confuse the Cowboys. If you're too scared to run a regular two point play, just kick the extra point.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It's not about whether Dallas wouldn't cover him, teams use offensive linemen as eligible receiver all the time, Baltimore did it against Miami and scored a TD using it, do you think Miami wouldn't cover it either......The Lions executed the play as it was designed, the reporting of the player was the mistake by the ref on the play, not the Cowboys.....It was dumb that the lions after the flag continued to try for two points instead of kicking the extra point and going to overtime.
I agree with everything you said, the only thing i dispute is whether or not it was a break for the Cowboys. To me they covered the guy the refs called eligible had they said #68 was eligible they would have covered him instead.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Some of y'all are working overtime, trying to convince yourselves that the Cowboys didn't catch a break.

I guess when you're invested in anti-Cowboys conspiracies, any call that goes the Cowboys way has to be justified.

It's comical. We caught a break. It's not hard to see it for what it was, unless you're invested elsewhere.
Cowboys MAY have caught a break because we'll NEVER know what would have happened had the refs announced 68 as eligible. It's very possible that the refs made the mistake, but it is equally possible that the lions outsmarted themselves.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Cowboys MAY have caught a break because we'll NEVER know what would have happened had the refs announced 68 as eligible. It's very possible that the refs made the mistake, but it is equally possible that the lions outsmarted themselves.
They announced it to everyone, the mistake was the Lions ran the play anyway throwing the ball to an ineligible reciever and then got mad it was called....

Chasing6

Reaction score
No. It is not.

It is obvious....they sent 3 lineman to the Ref for a reason. They all confirmed, including Cambell, they did what they practiced and were told to do.

Cambell is an idiot.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
False premise.

Why send 3 lineman to the ref??? The intent was obvious.

Why spread out 58 in a normal eligible receiver position?

Stop listening talking heads. Fake News.
50 players can walk up to the ref.ONLY one reports
70 didn't report as he stated, 68 reported, geoff said 68 reported, Campbell said 68 reported, are they all lying?
makes no sense for 70 to be eligible and line up in an ineligible position making it an illegal formation..

And I'll listen and watched the camera angles to a dozen explayers and coaches who reviewed it and stated that the ref clearly made the wrong number anouncement..70 reported eligible numerous times during the game, clealry the ref thought 70 was the eligible one again when in fact 68 stated he was the eligible...Aikman was one of the first I heard post game stating it had to be the ref getting the number wrong on the call because where 70 lined up that made no sense..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
68 said he reported, 70 said he did not. The ref went and told the defense. Those guys are not standing there with the defense where they would know what the ref told them. I don't know if they said anything about what they may or may not have heard over the speaker.
when did 68 said he reported? what he said in his press conference was I did what the coaches told me. the coaches did say they were trying to cause confusion. 70 never said he didn't report. the video shows him running out and motioning to himself. the ref heard it, ANNOUNCED it. and nobody on detroit side objected. NOBODY. they are not making a lot of stink about it. seems like cowboys fans are making a bigger stink, some to cheapen the win.

in this case, the Refs got it right.

the tragedy was the tripping penalty getting called on Hendershot. that would have been game over.

shabazz

Reaction score
It's comical. We caught a break. It's not hard to see it for what it was, unless you're invested elsewhere.
Bother Jake, just a question about this.

If it's true that the referee conveyed the wrong number to our defense how does disinformation to our defense constitute a break?

The supposition should be that we would have put a defender on 68 instead of 70 and the throw may never have happened.

to me, it seems that BOTH teams were done a disservice. Let me know if this logic doesn't ring true because perhaps I'm missing something on this.

I'm not dug in on an opinion if there's more light to be shed

Buzzbait

Reaction score
We didn't catch a break, it was the right call. The Lions caught a break with the phantom tripping call that gave them the opportunity to actually have a final drive.
Exactly! And it was indeed a phoney tripping call. I've went back and rewatched that spot in the game several times and Hendershot had nothing to do with any tripping whatsoever but was penalized 15 yards for absolutely nothing. Detroit's #97 blatantly tried tripping Tony Pollard in that play and the Ref conveniently blamed it on Hendershot. You're right mardwin, it was the Lions who caught the break, not the Cowboys!

Chasing6

Reaction score
50 players can walk up to the ref.ONLY one reports
70 didn't report as he stated, 68 reported, geoff said 68 reported, Campbell said 68 reported, are they all lying?
makes no sense for 70 to be eligible and line up in an ineligible position making it an illegal formation..

And I'll listen and watched the camera angles to a dozen explayers and coaches who reviewed it and stated that the ref clearly made the wrong number anouncement..70 reported eligible numerous times during the game, clealry the ref thought 70 was the eligible one again when in fact 68 stated he was the eligible...Aikman was one of the first I heard post game stating it had to be the ref getting the number wrong on the call because where 70 lined up that made no sense..
How do you know what was said? Why did Cambell say two players can't report as eligible?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The referees announced that 70 was eligible and the Cowboys guarded 70. When 68 caught the ball, Detroit got flagged. If anything, the refs actually doing something correctly that benefits the Cowboys being a surprise and "a break" for the Cowboys sure sounds like you think that the refs are normally biased against Dallas.
BOOM!

Nicely put.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
when did 68 said he reported? what he said in his press conference was I did what the coaches told me. the coaches did say they were trying to cause confusion. 70 never said he didn't report. the video shows him running out and motioning to himself. the ref heard it, ANNOUNCED it. and nobody on detroit side objected. NOBODY. they are not making a lot of stink about it. seems like cowboys fans are making a bigger stink, some to cheapen the win.

in this case, the Refs got it right.

the tragedy was the tripping penalty getting called on Hendershot. that would have been game over.
It was never a question the Lions were trying to confuse the Cowboys. I haven't said otherwise. But that alone doesn't mean they cheated. Deception and cheating aren't automatically the same thing..

This is what Decker said ...

"They didn't tell me anything after the play," Decker said. "All I really want to say on it, just so I don't get myself into trouble, is I did exactly what coach told me to do.

"I went to the ref, said, 'Report,' and yeah. I don't know. It was my understanding, too, that (head coach) Dan (Campbell) brings up the possibility of those sorts of plays pregame, so I did what I was told to do, did it how we did it in practice all week, and that's probably all we can touch on with that."

This is what Skipper said ...

A clearly frustrated Skipper declined a formal postgame interview, citing an unwillingness to be fined. He told a handful of reporters near his locker, "I did not say a word to the ref."

Chasing6

Reaction score
The referees announced that 70 was eligible and the Cowboys guarded 70. When 68 caught the ball, Detroit got flagged. If anything, the refs actually doing something correctly that benefits the Cowboys being a surprise and "a break" for the Cowboys sure sounds like you think that the refs are normally biased against Dallas.
I was surprised the Ref's made the right call and did not screw us.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Some of y'all are working overtime, trying to convince yourselves that the Cowboys didn't catch a break.

I guess when you're invested in anti-Cowboys conspiracies, any call that goes the Cowboys way has to be justified.

This didn't go how you thought it would.

You lose to me... again.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
How do you know what was said? Why did Cambell say two players can't report as eligible?
Campbell was answering a queston from a reporter, stating two players can't report as eligible 50 players can walk up to the ref but only one can report.....68 said that he reported, 70 told the media he didn't report on that play, Geoff said 68 reported, campbell said 68 reported, are they the ones lying or did the ref screw it up by caling the wrong number.....tell me if 68 wasn't suppose to be the eligible, why would he be the one running out into the pattern and Geoff throwing him the ball, that was the play call clearly..70 didn't even leave the line of scrimmage on the play plus he was lined up in the ineligible posiiton making it a illegal formation penalty...seems pretty logical that 68 was suppose to be the reported eligible...ref just assumed it was 70 since he was the eligible on 6 plays during the game and saw him running into the game but 70 didn't go up to the ref, he went up to 68 while the ref was notifiing the defense....

Chasing6

Reaction score
Campbell was answering a queston from a reporter, stating two players can't report as eligible 50 players can walk up to the ref but only one can report.....68 said that he reported, 70 told the media he didn't report on that play, Geoff said 68 reported, campbell said 68 reported, are they the ones lying or did the ref screw it up by caling the wrong number.....tell me if 68 wasn't suppose to be the eligible, why would he be the one running out into the pattern and Geoff throwing him the ball, that was the play call clearly..70 didn't even leave the line of scrimmage on the play plus he was lined up in the ineligible posiiton making it a illegal formation penalty...seems pretty logical that 68 was suppose to be the reported eligible...ref just assumed it was 70 since he was the eligible on 6 plays during the game and saw him running into the game but 70 didn't go up to the ref, he went up to 68 while the ref was notifiing the defense....
Definitely not 50. That would be a penalty.

Cambell screwed it up.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It was never a question the Lions were trying to confuse the Cowboys. I haven't said otherwise. But that alone doesn't mean they cheated. Deception and cheating aren't automatically the same thing..

This is what Decker said ...

"They didn't tell me anything after the play," Decker said. "All I really want to say on it, just so I don't get myself into trouble, is I did exactly what coach told me to do.

"I went to the ref, said, 'Report,' and yeah. I don't know. It was my understanding, too, that (head coach) Dan (Campbell) brings up the possibility of those sorts of plays pregame, so I did what I was told to do, did it how we did it in practice all week, and that's probably all we can touch on with that."

This is what Skipper said ...

A clearly frustrated Skipper declined a formal postgame interview, citing an unwillingness to be fined. He told a handful of reporters near his locker, "I did not say a word to the ref."
Again the spirit of this rule is not so the defense is confused who is eligible, its so the defense knows, the fault of the ref not knowing CLEARLY who is reporting is squarley on the Lions for trying to be sneaky...DC said they were trying to not let dallas see who was reporting...its not the officials responsibility to chase down who is reporting and who is not....Im sorry OmerV everything that happened in this sequence seems to stem from the HC designed misdirection....there is no other way to view it.