More proof Jerry is only in the background

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m 99% sure it’s because he made such a fuss about being in control early in his career, that to say he’s stepping down now publicly worries him about affecting his 85 other businesses. People aren’t going to run to deal with Jerry’s oil companies and the hoops I’m sure he makes them jump through if they don’t think he’s actually in control. Name association is everything in business. Not as much in sports.
By title authority, Jerry Jones is:
  • Owner
  • President (and then)
  • General Manager
--of his own franchise. His entry into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a contributor was predicated more on efforts of his first two titles than his third.

With respect, I think it is a vast leap of logic to suggest any of Jones' present or future business associates will think he is less of a dominating business presence in the National Football League if he dropped the lesser of his three titles.

Robert Kraft. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. New England Patriots.

Arthur Blank. Owner and Chairman. Atlanta Falcons.

The late Paul Allen. Owner. Seattle Seahawks.

All billionaires, who own/owned multi-diverse businesses stretching nationally and internationally. No one doubted these three men were in control of either their various non-NFL businesses or NFL franchises. No one.

Question: Why would dropping his title as general manager really lessen Jerry Jones' prestige in the business world?

[EDIT - I typed Arthur Blank twice lol!]

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
agree. One thing we can see, THEY DO WANNA WIN. At least now I can see some plan in place and they aren't trying to stubbornly do it their own way. Twenty five years of that didn't do us any good. Now we see they FINALLY put real football staff in charge of the team.
They have actually tried this before with Parcells. Remember the championships he won. Oh wait. Lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m. We seem much like thirsty wanderers in a desert, wondering if this "new era" is just a mirage or a real-live watering hole! :confused: :muttley:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
WE GONNA SEE I GUESS.

Yep -- like they say, "the proof is in the pudding."

Sounds kinda nuts, I know, I know, but hey, let's face it . . .
Even if it's only a dream, ya gotta admit, it's a really good one!:thumbup:

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is the first time I can remember Jerry didn’t speak at the Senior Bowl and it’s the first time Will McClay has. Jerry was back in DFW doing something for a Bob McNair award one day. Never in Mobile that I’ve seen.

The roles in Mobile are clear: Stephen goes and sees agents while McClay and staff watch players.

every NFL GM was there, and the Cowboys co-GMs were too. Will (personnel) and Stephen (cap).

Don’t let all the DFW radio hype fool you. Jerry yes still is involved in big decisions but it’s to give his stamp of approval. He does and will always have final say on big things like head coaching hirings/firings and big trades:contracts . But the day to day is being run by Will and Stephen. This is all the proof you need.

Jerry is not forcing coaches or players on this team anymore. And he hasn’t for awhile. Now if you want to still blame Stephen, sure. Stephen said 2 weeks ago he was involved in decision to take Garrett’s playcalling away. But the days of worrying about Jerry’s day to day meddling are long gone.
its a wolf in sheep's clothing.....Jerry kows fans are angry. he listens to the radio calls. he knows its better for him to stay in the background for now, giving the impression that he is not involved....season starts, preseason starts, some good things happen and he will be in front of the camera. games start and we win, he will be in the locker room giving interviews...two years from know, if results are good, then he will meddle to get the team over the top, two years from now if results are bad, he will meddle because he wants results.

this I am not involved thing won't last. we have seen the same story through 6, now 7 coaching changes and 25 years.....

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Which round did Jerry gamble last year? Hill was 100 percent on Marinelli who went down and had dinner with Hill on his birthday and came up with that weird contract.

Well, they traded their first round for a guy that might walk this year.