Morris Claiborne is a free agent

eromeopolk

Reaction score
He had his best year last season in terms of passes defensed and interceptions. The thing about him is he can’t stay healthy. He’s never played 16 games in a season.
Neither has Sean Lee so what's the difference? Claiborne is worth a vet minimum to come back home (from Shreveport LA area) which may be a draw for him to finish his career in either TX or LA.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you were watching the draft the year Claiborne was picked, you'd know that just about everyone had him as a top defensive prospect.

Just one of those guys where it never worked out. A true bust. Everyone had him wrong.

It's true that a lot of the draft guys had him rated very highly but I wonder just what NFL personnel guys thought. I mean, we moved up and took him but honestly (and I'm on record on this), I never saw what everybody loved about him. He was not fast, he was actually kinda slow. He highpointed well, he used his body well and he was physical off the line. He was a bump and run, man coverage type CB IMO and I said this before we drafted him. He was more of a Carr and less of a Prime Time IMO.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He was good, probably a little better or just as good as he was with us when he was healthy. Not really a ton of interceptions but he was good at coverage and didn't play bad at all. MC was never really a bad player... just dude can't stay healthy and was obviously (in hindsight) drafted way too high.
With Jones having surgery..

I would look at Claiborne on an incentive deal.

He would want to start and anybody could understand that.

But his availability is the issue.

Make it an incentive deal.

Jones' contract is up in 2019.

Not sure he wil be resigned.

Cover yourself.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Total bum. I was at that game in St. Louis. Never in my life have I ever seen a professional athlete abused the way he was that day.

rags747

Reaction score
Will probably wind up playing into his 40’s like Newman...

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Claiborne is not a bum. He's a good player who had some injury problems when he was with this team. He started out slowly, getting burned a lot when he was a rookie, but he definitely improved and helped the team when healthy. I agree with signing him if that could happen at the vet minimum or somewhat above. If some team offers him a bonanza, I would not bother to compete with that.

Flamma

Reaction score
I didn't like that group of DBs at all. The only player I liked was Barry Church and to some extent JJ Wilcox. But only because he would occasionally truck someone at the LOS. That was cool to watch, but he wasn't that good. So I wasn't upset at all that we cleared out those guys.

They reminded me of the early 80s defensive back crew Dallas had. With Fellows, Downs, Walls. The only guy I liked was Walls. If Dallas gave the QB more than a second they couldn't cover worth a damn.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jones and Brown are both on 1 year deals. Jones is getting hip surgery. Make Mo an offer on a modest 2 year deal so he is insurance vs jones injury this year and a replacement for brown/jones next year.