Signed by Cowboys Morris signs 2-yr deal with Cowboys

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy about this signing ! No, its not the home run hit, but I do believe its a smart signing for good money and covers a hole - just like we all keep talking about. Yes, no body wants to see either the Gnats or shegirls get Elliott, but if it is, it is. I believe this year McFadden, Morris and Dunbar will be good enough. And allows us to go in different directions - see defense - this draft. If we could pick up say a Kenyon Drake with say our 4th round comp pick I would be giddy !
Next year looks to be extremely deep for RBs with the big 3, and plenty behind that. So I believe the signing of Morris and the length of his, McFadden's and Dunbar's contracts sets up perfect for us going forward.
Combined with the backup DE, and CB we are supposed to be signing. I'm feeling a lot better today, then yesterday.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Really? Defense had nothing to do with it? Special teams? Offensive lines? Quarterbacks? No player in NFL history has every won a game by himself. No player ever will. It's a team sport.

Nope I only saw one guy on the field that day and the others p/u after every run.....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not surprised we showed interest and signed him he had some big days against us including a 200 yard game as a rookie in the season finale in 2012 that helped keep the Cowboys home for the playoffs.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Morris is pretty solid. I figured he'd be a target at some point because he tore it up when Shanahan had him in his ZBS.

His play actually coincidentally fell off once Shanny left. I think that was the primary reason.

I think it'll be interesting to see how they use Darren and Alfred. Alfred is made for a ZBS but can power up in a man scheme, while Darrens ypc was significantly better in man.

Not sure if they'll go into that much consideration when facing different fronts, but I'm curious if they'll rotate starts based on what kind of blocking scheme they want to employ to start a game/series.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
dont know if i agree on Morris.

34zwqvk.jpg

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Morris is 27 the year in which the average RB peaks. It's a two year deal. Seems just about perfect to me.

We need someone to do those zone stretches that were a staple in the 2014 success and were moved away from after the Randle meltdown. Linehan would use some of the same side to side misdirection playcalling Shanahan loved to run. Stretch both ways with counters and play action both ways. Middle zones to keep them honest.

Cap all backs at 250 carries or 15 carries a game. Run the ball 500 times.

Curious what they are going to do about the fullback spot now.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Morris is 27 the year in which the average RB peaks. It's a two year deal. Seems just about perfect to me.

We need someone to do those zone stretches that were a staple in the 2014 success and were moved away from after the Randle meltdown. Linehan would use some of the same side to side misdirection playcalling Shanahan loved to run. Stretch both ways with counters and play action both ways. Middle zones to keep them honest.

Cap all backs at 250 carries or 15 carries a game. Run the ball 500 times.

Curious what they are going to do about the fullback spot now.

Vitale or Watt in the 6th

rags747

Reaction score
Morris has been toast for the past 2 years, horrible signing imo and I always wear rose colored glasses.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
McFadden is a fraud. He got a lot of garbage yards in games that were already decided for the part. A true quality starter he is not. He should be replaced.

But have no fear. He won't be. This is about unleashing a rotation of backs on a league that might not be prepared for it.

Okay MOST running backs in the league last year got most of their yards when the game is decided. How is McFadden any different? I'm not saying he's a quality starter or isn't. I'm saying even if he is a change of pace back....why would you get rid of someone who's cheap, a good blocker and a good running back?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Morris has been toast for the past 2 years, horrible signing imo and I always wear rose colored glasses.

I live in Maryland so I see all of WAS games and Morris really wasn't used well. After his first year or so they never committed to him as the lead back. He would have 60-70yds at halftime and he would get 3 more carries.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I'm with you and even though they signed Morris, to a 2yr deal they can't go into this draft conveniently ignoring this position like they did last year and they can't also go into the season being confident they can rely on both McFadden, and Dunbar to last the whole season.

Why? They went into the 2014 season relying on Murray, Panty Raider and Dunbar to last the whole season. Exactly how many spots do you want to fill on this roster with running backs?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Okay MOST running backs in the league last year got most of their yards when the game is decided. How is McFadden any different? I'm not saying he's a quality starter or isn't. I'm saying even if he is a change of pace back....why would you get rid of someone who's cheap, a good blocker and a good running back?

Week 13 Dallas is 4-8 and McFadden has 679 yds.

He gains 410 yds in the next 4 games which we lose by an average of 25-13. Games we didn't care if we won or lost but McFadden got 300k if he broke 1000 yards.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

You might want to check those glasses. I think someone slipped you a pair of gray-colored spectacles.

superonyx

Reaction score
Guy from NFL network was just on philly sports radio talking about the gossip from the owners meeting that Zeke Elliott may be slipping due to his rumored use of Molly.

erod

Reaction score
I don't get this Morris signing. Am I missing something?

He's small, slow, can't catch, and only had his success in a read option offense.

Yeah, that sounds like what Dallas needs.