Signed by Cowboys Morris signs 2-yr deal with Cowboys

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does this mean we are going to raid the Commanders RB's like we did the Seahawks last year?

Sydla

Reaction score
It won't surprise me if the Eagles, or Giants select Elliott if he falls to either team at their pick with this Morris signing it's telling us that either the Cowboys will address S, LB, QB, or DE with the 4th overall pick we'll see.

They are debating this in Philly right now. Torn between Stanley or Elliott if both are there and possibly Jack.

The fact the Eagles GM came out talking about how they like Elliott seems like a smokescreen. Their GM doesn't give away information like that. I wonder if the Eagles are open to trading that 8th pick. They don't have a 2nd rounder.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm not sure, right or wrong, that Zeke was at all a consideration at 4.
And I don't think this wipes out any chance that they'll draft a back.

ringmaster

Reaction score
The kid from LSU, can't recall his name, Fournette, or something like that.
It's Leonard Fournette and with the 2017 draft he will possibly be the top RB in next year's draft class you never know if the Cowboys are setting up to make a run at him but here is hope that the team won't be selecting at the top of that draft but if they are then we may have a whole new coaching staff if that happens again stay tuned.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are debating this in Philly right now. Torn between Stanley or Elliott if both are there and possibly Jack.

The fact the Eagles GM came out talking about how they like Elliott seems like a smokescreen. Their GM doesn't give away information like that. I wonder if the Eagles are open to trading that 8th pick. They don't have a 2nd rounder.

They are talking Carson Wentz.

I don't want to live in that world.

dfense

Reaction score
It's not often Dallas signs an indigenous people's player. Nice 1-2 punch at RB now. Not spectacular but solid.

CBass1724

Reaction score
Hey everyone, a fan of the enemy here.

You all are getting a fantastic dude in Alfred Morris. He's a soft spoken guy that lets his play speak for himself. If there was anyone last year that should have thrown a fit about how they were used, it was Alf. He was a good soldier and didn't rock the boat when he easily could have. He's not flashy and doesn't have that "wow" factor, but he shows up to work every day and plays his *** off. We're all going to miss him here in DC. Good luck, Alf.

C.J.

egn22

Reaction score
He's only 27 - young
Never missed a game - durable
Had 3 1k yard seasons - accomplished
Has a Great attitude - professional

On top of all of this, last season his carries were limited w the emergence of the rookie RB Matt Jones. So Morris still has quite a bit of tread left.

I think we are about to use the hell out of Morris over these next 2 seasons and he will be our premier back. He fits our scheme, he moves the chains, he closes games. This was a great signing.

Bullet22

Reaction score
I still prefer them draft Zeke or Henry.
If Dunbar not recovered well enough, still nee a RB. McFadden can take over his role, Elliot or Henry as the main RB. Morris to be backup. and still have Rod Smith in the mix.

DMC is the starter..Morris is the Backup...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I could see us using him heavily as a 4th quarter closer, when we are trying to bleed the clock and punish the opposing D-Line. That comes with a pile of assumptions:
  1. Alfred still has some gas left in the tank.
  2. We can use DMC effectively in the first 3 quarters (i.e., he remains healthy and productive) when you need the pass protection as well as the ground yardage.
  3. We can use Dunbar (i.e., he remains healthy) as the change-of-pace back a la Darren Sproles and pile up yardage through the air to a RB.
  4. We can build up to a lead in the 4th quarter.
  5. Romo remains healthy.
While I think this gives us a stable of solid RBs on the roster right now, there is still plenty of room for improvement, and plenty of risk for the RBs to remain healthy.

Thus,I hope to see a Jonathan Williams or Kenneth Dixon in a Dallas Jersey on 4/29.

DMC showed me that last year that he can play well on 15-17 carries. He needs a little warmup, but can still produce nicely on a limited amount of carries. He also performed well on 25+ carries, but given his injury history, I would be against it. I really don't understand the negativity towards DMC after last season. The only RB's that were running better from a statistical standpoint were Rawls out of SEA and AP when DMC started the last 10 games of the year. I can understand being hesitant about his injury history, but producing while being healthy is a different issue. And he's a far better receiver out of the backfield than Rawls and AP...and a better blitz pickup (although not great, but AP is really poor at blitz pickups).

My main question with Morris is if he can play the #2 spot and get in 8-12 carries. Then we can get 3-5 to Dunbar. That's why I liked Turbin so much. He didn't need a warmup to get going. He was never going to be a great back that you could start. But, you could get 4.5 ypc out of him in 8-10 carries and he could run on short yardage. I will say that I didn't like Turbin much in the passing game. His blocking was horrendous at times and he was limited catching passes.

If Morris can get back healthy and still has juice left in those legs and he can work fine with 8-12 carries a game, then I think we have a nice upgrade from Turbin because Morris can start and be extremely productive as a starter if DMC goes down and he's much better in blitz pickup. The one thing I always noticed about Morris is that he looked like the type of RB that defenses didn't like having to tackle. I'd like to see him healthy and for the team to use that to their advantage.

YR

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
My guess is that any interest for Elliott just lessened. That leaves Henry, Prosise, and that kid from FSU as the only viable options at RB, at least for me.

Yes sir, I like the signing but I'll have to remove my avatar now lol.