Mort: Cowboys expect to trade Romo to Texans or Broncos ***MERGE***

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Is it safe to say we all got played? Jerry dangled the prospect of a free Tony Romo and let several teams plan their free agency with going after Romo as a big part of it and then, BAM, take Romo away and watch a market materialize out of thin air.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They're trying to drum up a trade market for Romo.

This is the problem the people whining about releasing him never seemed to understand. There's probably a very, very shortlist of teams Romo is interested in playing for and those teams, such as Denver, have the cap space to sign him outright, so why would they trade a draft pick for him?

What amazes me is that the Broncos somehow can sign anybody they want to, and they always have cap space to keep doing it. It boggles my mind. Yet we are always scraping pennies together.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
lol oh so now we never planned to waive him?

Fake news is definitely a thing.
people drawing war and peace conclusions from 140 character twitters is also a thing. people need to calm down at times and not pretend everything read is a final decision, much less true.

LittleD

Reaction score
Until he is officially released team A may feel they cant outbid Team B, so they call and make a trade offer to secure the rights.

Unlikely. But still a possibile scenario

Time is running short but, could happen... The team wanting Romo has to call Jerry directly to make a deal.

vaturkey

Reaction score
Bottom line its cheaper to take him under his current contract then get into a bidding war with someone else. A trade always made good sense if you could work out the compensation. Like at any auction. Only takes two bidders to drive the price through the roof.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Time is running short but, could happen... The team wanting Romo has to call Jerry directly to make a deal.
Like I said a few pages ago, if a trade goes down will be very interesting to see the gamesmanship involved

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Is it safe to say we all got played? Jerry dangled the prospect of a free Tony Romo and let several teams plan their free agency with going after Romo as a big part of it and then, BAM, take Romo away and watch a market materialize out of thin air.
safer to say people rush to their own conclusions then adjust reality to fit later.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
What amazes me is that the Broncos somehow can sign anybody they want to, and they always have cap space to keep doing it. It boggles my mind. Yet we are always scraping pennies together.

A little easier to do that when you don't have a big-money elite QB on your roster, but the flipside to that is you miss the playoffs like Denver did this year.

HanD

Reaction score
They're trying to drum up a trade market for Romo.

This is the problem the people whining about releasing him never seemed to understand. There's probably a very, very shortlist of teams Romo is interested in playing for and those teams, such as Denver, have the cap space to sign him outright, so why would they trade a draft pick for him?

really depends on how much romo would look for as a free agent. if he feels he'd rather stay close to home and take less cause houston has a better core, denver's cap space means nothing. denver has plenty but houston has 22+ million also

rynochop

Reaction score
Maybe a flip flop of 1st with Houston or a 3rd ...hopefully..... better than the Jun 1 waiver, imo.
Kind of don't see Denver trading, but who knows. Seems like maybe Houston because they're worried Denver would win out in an open market?
Don't know.
Be fun to be a fly on the wall in Jerrys office, Bet the Johnny walker blue is ready to go

Reaction score

I hope this is right. If so, it's genius and I underestimated Jerry/Stephen. Or it's all just BS and I've estimated them exactly right.