Mort: Cowboys expect to trade Romo to Texans or Broncos ***MERGE***

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think 14 is only his base. The cap hit is like 25 mil or something. Please someone correct me if I'm off base.
That's OUR cap hit if we keep him ($24.7M), not the new team's hit. We have to pick up the remainder of his unprorated SB, the recieving team is only on the hook for his base salary ($14M). At least that's what I gleamed from all the articles on the situation.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
So when are the reports going to come out saying Romo will retire?

We already have reports of him being released, followed by reports of him being traded.

#fakesportnewsmediastrikesagain!

GoJacks

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think 14 is only his base. The cap hit is like 25 mil or something. Please someone correct me if I'm off base.
I think they are only liable for the base, year-to-year. The Cowboys are already picking up the bonus on the cap.

remdak

Reaction score
Its not a cap hit to the team that trades for him. They are only on the hook for base salary. Dallas is on the hook for the signing bonuses (guaranteed money)

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right, not about us. But he does care about PR. And he does not want to look weak or stupid. So he tries a last ditch stunt to cover up for all his "do right" comments that telegraphed to everyone that he was cutting Romo.

http://i18.***BLOCKED***/albums/b133/BrAinPaiNt/coolstorybro_zpsrk6umfgc.jpg

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Same goes for Houston. Tennessee is on the rise.

And Jacksonville has Barry Church now!! ;)
I think Jags are going to run away with the nfl south. They are killing it in FA. They are going to get Fournette in the draft and take off.

TonyS

Reaction score
Watching the Schefter Cam on espn.com. Hard to get a read on his body language. Keep in mind, 4pm is not a deadline. We have until June 1st now that we know (or sources are claiming) that we have some potential trade partners.

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the receiving team would only be on the hook for $14M this coming year. That's not a lot for a good starting QB and there would be plenty of time to work a new deal for any outlying years...or they could simply cut him after 2017 with no cap hit.
It is when you're paying Brock Osweiler $16 million in 2017, too

blumayne38

Reaction score
Here is the only problem with that statement:

71365507.jpg
Really don't act like Tony Romo isn't a top 10 QB