Mortensen: Elliott Suspension Upheld **merged**

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So is Zeke going to put this off until playoff time?

Are we going to screw around and lose Zeke for the end of the season?

If Will is right and ultimately this thing will be upheld then we need to just eat this suspension ASAP.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

If Will is right and ultimately this thing will be upheld then we need to just eat this suspension ASAP.

Previous information Ive seen, the only way to get suspended for a playoff game is to be suspended for the season. I'm not 100% sure on it but ive seen it multiple places.

LittleD

Reaction score

If Zeke wins in Federal District Court and the case is appealed to the 5th circuit court of appeals, it will be next year before all
litigation is finished. Zeke has a good case in the lower courts but, less so in the appeals court. He would likely have to serve the 6 games
next season.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If Zeke wins in Federal District Court and the case is appealed to the 5th circuit court of appeals, it will be next year before all
litigation is finished. Zeke has a good case in the lower courts but, less so in the appeals court. He would likely have to serve the 6 games
next season.
Another point Cain made is, if the TRO is granted and the case ends up in appellate court, it is unlikely Zeke will lose any games this year.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
If the mainstream media would continue to hammer the NFL on the stupidity of this case that might make a difference but I'm not holding my breath on that. They're in bed with the NFL and they aren't going to go after the golden goose.

Yes, I read Albert Breer (who I like) state that if EE was innocent he should fight with 1 goal in mind, to be completely exonerated. This was after the appeal was out.

I had to ask Breer if the evidence shows that he's innocent, what will Breer do to fight this injustice?

I give the sports media credit in that I think the majority of them have been on the fence in this case instead of burning EE at the stake. However, their concern is more about Goodell and his use of power instead of the fact that EE is being railroaded and being labeled as a woman beater as a result.

Peter King was more than happy to take Goodell to task over DeflateGate, but mums the word when it comes to this case despite having the NFL's and EE's cases laid out on the table for him to see.

Mike Fisher wanted to lean on the scary thought that other information would be leaked that EE wouldn't want to come to light, but all of that pales in comparison to the accusation of being a woman beater. And Fisher still clings to that argument because he knows his thinking is foolish.

This should not have to do with football. It should have to do with one person seeing another person being wronged and bringing that to the attention of the public.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
ESPN's Mike & Mike had an interesting discussion with ESPN commentator, Will Cain, earlier this morning. If you are not familiar, Cain is an attorney, former political analyst with CNN and, now, a commentator for ESPN.

A few of my take-aways from the conversation:
1. The NFL should not be conducting its own investigations into these sort of matters. They are only doing so in response to advocacy and PR pressure, primarily from the Ray Rice case.
2. The questions posed by Judge Mazzant suggests the judge is skeptical of the NFL's argument and will likely grant the TRO
3. Ultimately, Zeke will lose on appeal and the suspension will hold.

Just a quick synopsis - not an my opinion

I completely agree with him. Even on #3. But he's innocent and it's worth a shot.

YR

haleyrules

Reaction score
If the mainstream media would continue to hammer the NFL on the stupidity of this case that might make a difference but I'm not holding my breath on that. They're in bed with the NFL and they aren't going to go after the golden goose.
Yep. Advertisers love the NFL. A few problematic players, true or not, really only matter on their respective webboards. Money rules so the media, or their masters, will be silent or side directly with the owners.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Zeke has a good chance in District Court, but Appeals Court is going to be a problem.

Why? Because team Zeke is arguing procedural errors were made, so the Appeals Court would remand the case back to the NFL to make new decision with correct procedures.

Kinda like when a procedural error is made in a criminal case, the case is remanded back down and retried. The alleged criminal doesn't just walk free if an error was made during his first trial.

Reaction score

I believe Brady's case took almost 2 years to flush out and he ultimately elected not to pursue it further up the court chain so this could drag on for quite a long time

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

What is good for the Cowboys and good for Zeke are two different things. Then again if we struggle without Zeke then what? The season's ruined anyway. Either way the NFL screwed us.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score

No. The TRO will basically guarantee him this season. We can better prepare for his absence (draft/FA) next summer. This is also about his name so he has to fight.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I believe he will win in court because of fundamental fairness and credible evidence. I think the court will take this and this only into consideration. They mentioned it (fundamental fairness) in the Brady case and Brady's decision was not unanimous, it was 2-1 and that was in NY. The judge in the injunction hearing already mentioned credible evidence. I think Zeke wins in court and the NFL is the one that is going to have to decide if it wants to take it further. I don't think the court will look fondly on ignoring your lead investigators opinion and keeping her out of the process. I also think the court will see the sham of the appeal process the NFL offers.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Zeke has a good chance in District Court, but Appeals Court is going to be a problem.

Why? Because team Zeke is arguing procedural errors were made, so the Appeals Court would remand the case back to the NFL to make new decision with correct procedures.

Kinda like when a procedural error is made in a criminal case, the case is remanded back down and retried. The alleged criminal doesn't just walk free if an error was made during his first trial.

They're not quite arguing that these were "errors."