Mosley claims we love James Casey

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Was talking about it on GAC today... Says we're going to work him out again in Houston tomorrow. Claims we see him as a fullback, not a TE.

But he says the change in philosophy to preferring the high-character, no-nonsense "football player" is real at Valley Ranch. Even Jerry has come around on that.

Anyway, Mosley speculates that we even excluded Casey from Dallas Day (he qualified, being from Fort Worth suburb Azle) as a smokescreen... Possibly because Miami loves him, too. (As I'm sure many other teams do.)

Discuss...

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
James Casey
TE, Rice
JAMES CASEY MEASURABLES
Height: 6-3 Weight: 246
40-yard dash: 4.74 10-yard dash: 1.54
20-yard shuttle: 4.49 60-yard shuttle: 11.80
Broad jump: 9-3 225-lb. bench: 28
3-cone drill: 7.00 Vertical jump: 36
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash: 2.71

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is highly competitive and consistently gets every bit of production out of his talent. Displays excellent hands. Able to catch high passes in traffic, as well as take the hard hit and hold onto the ball. Is a smart receiver who knows how to find the open spot in coverage and uses his body well to shield the defender from the ball. Is a surprisingly productive downside blocker who can deliver a hard blow to the defender and knock him out of the play. Runs through arm tackles and gains yards after contact. Also has experience lining up as a quarterback in short-yardage situations and as a punt returner.

Weaknesses: Lacks size. Looks more like an H-back than a tight end. Does not show explosiveness in routes and could struggle to consistently get separation from NFL defenders. Does not display the elite speed to run away from the defense to take plays the distance.

Bottom line: Casey is a 24-year-old who came out early for the draft. He played four years of minor league baseball in the White Sox's system after high school before playing college football. He does not look the part of an NFL tight end but has the receiving skills that teams crave. Because of that, he should be productive as a tight end/H-back who creates a lot of mismatches and does a very good job of blocking from a slot alignment.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2739531 said:
Was talking about it on GAC today... Says we're going to work him out again in Houston tomorrow. Claims we see him as a fullback, not a TE.

But he says the change in philosophy to preferring the high-character, no-nonsense "football player" is real at Valley Ranch. Even Jerry has come around on that.

Anyway, Mosley speculates that we even excluded Casey from Dallas Day (he qualified, being from Fort Worth suburb Azle) as a smokescreen... Possibly because Miami loves him, too. (As I'm sure many other teams do.)

Discuss...

REDEMPTION, finally. :D Seriously though, who in their right mind does not like this guy? Playmakers at that position (FB) are almost impossible to find these days.

But the most important part of this post is in bold. Thanks for giving me hope again C-Lab! This change in philosophy, if enacted, would be real change in the right direction for this team. More high character, team oriented, high motor, productive players is what this team lacks as a whole.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Good. Get rid of Cricket. I think Casey can be used in alot of ways as a fullback and could be a great asset to this team.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2739543 said:
REDEMPTION, finally. :D Seriously though, who in their right mind does not like this guy? Playmakers at that position (FB) are almost impossible to find these days.

But the most important part of this post is in bold. Thanks for giving me hope again C-Lab! This change in philosophy, if enacted, would be real change in the right direction for this team. More high character, team oriented, high motor, productive players is what this team lacks as a whole.

true bat, but i just dont like the ideal of taking another TE/FB high in the draft, especially with our high 3rd round pick;

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2739559 said:
3rd round

on sporting news war room, they have him going about the 26th pick in 3rd round to atlanta falcons, and we have a high very high pick in 3rd round, 5th overall pick in 3rd round;

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2739560 said:
on sporting news war room, they have him going about the 26th pick in 3rd round to atlanta falcons, and we have a high very high pick in 3rd round, 5th overall pick in 3rd round;

Personally, I think he falls to end of the 3rd, perhaps even into the 4th. There are a ton of TEs with his skillset plus more size & speed. Its his intangibles that seperate him from the rest IMO.

But I agree about not overreaching. A month ago, Casey was a 2nd rounder and a top 3 or 4 TE, now he is a 3rd round projection and top 7 TE. Draft is going to be fluid, so Jerry is going to have to move around to get his pet cats.

Casey would definitely be more Romo friendly than Anderson. A Casey like upgrade at FB plus a C/OG who Romo can rely on are the 2 most immediate impact positions in this draft. A close third will be upgrading the slot/returner position.

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
Ugh. If we draft him, we better use him. I don't get how we're going to make use of him when he'll only be on the field for 2 WR sets that don't include Martellus Bennett.

I kind of hope Bill gets him first...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
woot! I don't care where we end up putting him, I just want the guy on this team, great, great player

what's interesting is that NFLDraftScout now lists Casey as their top-rated FB

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
April 21, 2009 7:41 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

The Dallas Cowboys are sending a delegation to Houston on Wednesday for a private workout with former Rice tight end James Casey. So why would a team already stacked at that position be so intrigued with the 24-year-old Casey?

Well, we're hearing the Cowboys are projecting Casey (6-foot-3, 246) as a fullback who could also play quarterback in the Wildcat formation. And it's interesting to note that another team high on Casey, the Miami Dolphins, helped launch the latest trend in the league. At Rice, the "Wildcat" was actually called the "Thor," which also happens to be Casey's nickname.

Anyway, keep your eye on Casey in the second or third round. He's a versatile player (can return punts and deep snap) who's sort of flown under the radar. Casey also happens to be a daily Beast reader, so that puts him ahead of the game.

By the way, thanks for your patience today while I worked on an "important" project. We'll be back to full strength in the morning.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DMN Blog

Could James Casey be Cowboys' Wildcat QB?
5:43 PM Tue, Apr 21, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

The Cowboys will send a scouting contingent to Houston tomorrow for a private workout with Rice TE James Casey, ESPN.com's Matt Mosley reports.

Casey, a 24-year-old Azle product, might be the most versatile player in the draft. He was a high school quarterback who spent four seasons pitching in the White Sox's system before going to Rice, where he played several positions but was primarily used as a tight end/H-back/slot receiver last season.

Casey (6-4, 246) has experience running Rice's variation of the Wildcat and could also contribute immediately on special teams. NFL Draft Scout compares him to a combination of New England WR Wes Welker and Indianapolis TE Dallas Clark.

If the Cowboys want Casey, they'll probably have to grab him with one of their first two picks. He isn't expected to last past the third round.

Comments (7) Leave comment | E-mail entry

RS12

Reaction score
A safe bet they take him. An even safer bet is after trades are made they end up with either two seconds or two thirds.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2739584 said:
woot! I don't care where we end up putting him, I just want the guy on this team, great, great player

what's interesting is that NFLDraftScout now lists Casey as their top-rated FB

Its coming full circle Bob!! If I cared enough, I would go dig up some of our very first mocks. I believe it was you and I who first started talking about Casey as a FB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2739623 said:
April 21, 2009 7:41 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

The Dallas Cowboys are sending a delegation to Houston on Wednesday for a private workout with former Rice tight end James Casey. So why would a team already stacked at that position be so intrigued with the 24-year-old Casey?

Well, we're hearing the Cowboys are projecting Casey (6-foot-3, 246) as a fullback who could also play quarterback in the Wildcat formation. And it's interesting to note that another team high on Casey, the Miami Dolphins, helped launch the latest trend in the league. At Rice, the "Wildcat" was actually called the "Thor," which also happens to be Casey's nickname.

Anyway, keep your eye on Casey in the second or third round. He's a versatile player (can return punts and deep snap) who's sort of flown under the radar. Casey also happens to be a daily Beast reader, so that puts him ahead of the game.

By the way, thanks for your patience today while I worked on an "important" project. We'll be back to full strength in the morning.

Why would it not surprise me for Dallas to take another tight end in the second round?

I do like the idea of getting a versatile fullback, but I don't see Casey as a big-time lead blocker just another H-back type. Let's not worry about the Wildcat and get someone who can contribute at one position on a regular basis.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
RS12;2739640 said:
A safe bet they take him. An even safer bet is after trades are made they end up with either two seconds or two thirds.

i wouldnt mind them trading down the 3rd round pick which is 5th overall, down some to get some extra picks, possibly 2 3rd rounders;

and take casey at end of 3rd round;

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2739646 said:
i wouldnt mind them trading down the 3rd round pick which is 5th overall, down some to get some extra picks, possibly 2 3rd rounders;

and take casey at end of 3rd round;

That would be the perfect scenario!

dmoore

Reaction score
I don't want to use a pick on a fullback, especially not one as high as it'll take to get Casey. We don't need weapons at every position on offense. I want a FB that can block first and foremost.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
BAT;2739644 said:
Its coming full circle Bob!! If I cared enough, I would go dig up some of our very first mocks. I believe it was you and I who first started talking about Casey as a FB.

I never talked about him as a FB, I still believe he would be a great receiver in the slot