Mosley claims we love James Casey

Scotman

Reaction score
I watch NO college football and really form my draft wish list from reading literally everything y'all write on this site.

Reading this thread, it sounds just about like some of you were talking about Choice last year. I remember thinking, "We don't need another RB but this kid sounds great!"

Here we go again, the thought of a TE/FB hybrid leaves me thinking, "No." But listening to the intangibles has me screaming, "PICK THIS KID."

Fill the roster up with that type of personality and we will never lie down in a playoff game again. We still need talent to go with it, but talent without heart equals another 11 years without a playoff victory.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Scotman;2740701 said:
I watch NO college football and really form my draft wish list from reading literally everything y'all write on this site.

Reading this thread, it sounds just about like some of you were talking about Choice last year. I remember thinking, "We don't need another RB but this kid sounds great!"

Here we go again, the thought of a TE/FB hybrid leaves me thinking, "No." But listening to the intangibles has me screaming, "PICK THIS KID."

Fill the roster up with that type of personality and we will never lie down in a playoff game again. We still need talent to go with it, but talent without heart equals another 11 years without a playoff victory.

Well said! Thanks for joining in, the slings & arrows were starting to draw blood. :D

Scotman

Reaction score
BAT;2740725 said:
Well said! Thanks for joining in, the slings & arrows were starting to draw blood. :D

Thanks for the kind words. I've thought many times about asking to have my name changed to "Threadkiller." It seems like when I post....a thread dies. :)

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Scotman;2741120 said:
Thanks for the kind words. I've thought many times about asking to have my name changed to "Threadkiller." It seems like when I post....a thread dies. :)

:laugh1:

I can relate. This board, like all boards, can be clique-ish and posters have a tendency to chat w/the ones they "know". I recognize a few posters from other boards, but for the most part, I'm a newbie here. So there are two ways of initiating the new guy/infrequent poster: ignore them or
ridicule them

It quickly runs its course. Looking forward to chatting more TK. :p:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Scotman;2741120 said:

I hardly ever see you post

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:stupid:

Word of warning.

Watch out for this guy above.

Real troublemaker!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Scotman;2741120 said:

Dude seriously?

Thats a copyright of catch17 inc.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
silverbear;2740052 said:
Oh, HELL no... if he's gonna go that high, let him go to someone else... I'd take him at 69, would even be comfortable with a small trade up, but that's as far as I'd go...

silverbear, I don't want him at 51, either. Mosley said watch out for pick 51 and mentioned the Dolphins.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
BAT;2740013 said:
Seriously? I really don't understand the love for this player. He has great size and is very intelligent, obviously articulate and displays great character & leadership, but he was a bust for 3 seasons and had an above average year comparitively in 2008.

He does not have great speed and he drops way too many passes, especially since he is being projected as a possession receiver. Even as a receiver, Casey outperformed him. On and off the field. And he is not clutch, those 2 fumbles against Kentucky lost them that game. I do like the kid but I don't think he has done anything to deserve drafting that high. The Bears obviously love him too and are likely going to take him at 49, just before Dallas' pick at 51.

On Caldwell:

He does need to improve his initial punch. He did show a good punch at the Senior Bowl. It just wasn't in Tyronne Green's class. Caldwell is more of a push and shove guy and needs to get stronger. His punch is adequate. Weight training for his upper body should improve his punch.

I still think Caldwell offers the power (lower body) that Unger doesn't at this point. Unger isn't as strong as Caldwell at the point of attack. Wood has it, too. (lower body strength) I think a zone team or finesse team will draft Max Unger.

On Massaquoi:

Georgia is a running team, and they run a pro style offense. Plus, Richt is conservative. He wants to pound the ball. They run first and pass second. Casey played in a spread offense where the ball is constantly in the air. I don't think it would be wise to spend a high pick on a project at FB and to run a trick offensive set. That's just me. I remember Anthony Fasano and how he was going to be this H-back. It didn't work. He couldn't block or catch a gift TD in the playoffs. Marcus McNeil is in San Diego, too. Casey will not see the quality of defensive backs that he saw in his conference.

Massaquoi was productive his freshmen year. He played and put up a good yardage total. Georgia's QB situation was not very good his sophomore season. Ask any Georgia fan. They were caught in transition. Massaquoi put up his best year this year, and he played with A.J. Green. He almost had 1,000 yards. He had some long TDs, and he torched Kentucky this year ( 8-191-1; LG 78; 23.9) and pretty much beat them by himself. He was on fire at the end of the season. He torched Florida (5-112-0; 22.4; LG 32).

As far as his hands go, he had some drop issues during his career. However, D.J. Shockley and Matthew Stafford (his sophomore year) didn't throw very good catchable balls. Shockley threw the ball hard, and Stafford threw the ball way to hard, imo, when he first started playing during Massaquoi's sophomore season. Stafford threw with consistent touch this year and had more experience quarterbacking. As a result, Massaquoi had his best year. His numbers were good. There is nothing wrong with being a reliable # 2 WR. They come out of the second round, too. He had some long TDs last year and got Florida deep in 2007. No one gets Florida deep.

He was clutch in the Georgia Tech and Kentucky games. He hurt Tennessee last year (5-103-1; 20.6; LG 32), too. He ended the year on fire. He put up good stats (58-920-8; 15.9 LG 78).

The Bears also love Rashad Johnson. They need a CB, S, DE, WR, and depth on the oline. Their RT situation isn't the best. They might take him, but I wouldn't be so sure. Another WR could fall to them. I read where they are not completely locked in on a WR. We'll see.

Massaquoi is a safe pick in a deep WR class. The run on WRs is going to be big, and Dallas may just go WR in round 2.

Massaquoi will not get past the Lions in round 3. They took notice when they worked Stafford out.

In my opinion, Massaquoi's WR skills at 51 are much safer than a player who is projecting to fullback. If Casey washes out like Fasano (blocking), you will have a glorified H-Back/Wild Cat guy.

The ball needs to go to Bennett, last year's second round pick.

I'll say this, too. Massaquoi does damage over the middle of the field. He's tough. He fits the Dallas profile and your profile. He was a solid, productive football player. Plus, he has upside. For all the Robiskie fans, I'll ask this. Will he go over the middle, get blasted and hang on to the ball, because this guy will.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Scotman;2741120 said:

Well, when a Scot speaks, you generally know that you've heard the definitive word on the subject (Clan MacKenzie here, on my mother's side)... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
BAT;2741130 said:
:laugh1:

I can relate. This board, like all boards, can be clique-ish and posters have a tendency to chat w/the ones they "know". I recognize a few posters from other boards, but for the most part, I'm a newbie here.

Well, I'll talk with ANYBODY... the tough part is gettin' me to shut up...

silverbear

Reaction score
41gy#;2741467 said:
silverbear, I don't want him at 51, either. Mosley said watch out for pick 51 and mentioned the Dolphins.

Then I'm not on board...

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
silverbear;2740039 said:
Some snaps yes, some snaps no... I'm quite sure the Boys can figure out ways to make use of Witten, Bennett AND Casey over the course of a 16 game season...

Actually, I'd cut him... he's JAG...

I'll believe you, but I have to admit I have a tough time believing we could find a way to use all three. Granted, I'm a fan of taking the best player available over a guy of need, as I think that's the strategy that pays off long term. And IMO, the draft is all about long term, and it's of utmost importance to fight the urge to draft a guy that might bring a little more instant gratification over a guy that offers more down the road.

Anyhow, again, I can't complain with grabbing the best guy. But I do raise an eyebrow as to how we'd use Witten, Bennett and this guy.

Exhibit A that worries me is our inability to really use our staple of running backs together last year. First we forgot about Felix, and I never really thought we knew how to use both Barber and Choice.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Silverbear, to interject on the is-he-a-fullback thing, he might be listed as the same size as Moose, but their body types sure do look different.

Moose looked much more bulky than tall or lean, where as this guy just looks a little more angular, almost like a ticker wide receiver.

While the eyeball test might not offer much, they sure don't look to be built the same at all.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I always enjoy talking football with you 41gy, so don't take this the wrong way, that is a lot of chum to swim through!! :)

41gy#;2741490 said:
On Caldwell:

He does need to improve his initial punch. He did show a good punch at the Senior Bowl. It just wasn't in Tyronne Green's class. Caldwell is more of a push and shove guy and needs to get stronger. His punch is adequate. Weight training for his upper body should improve his punch.

I still think Caldwell offers the power (lower body) that Unger doesn't at this point. Unger isn't as strong as Caldwell at the point of attack. Wood has it, too. (lower body strength) I think a zone team or finesse team will draft Max Unger..

Not sure if you saw Chocolate Lab's recap on former Dallas scout Brian Broaddus on the Daily Zone, but he indicates that the Cowboys are very high on Unger. As a tackle, no less. Probably intrigued by his ability to play every OL position, which he did w/Pac-10 honors. Both Caldwell & Unger are going to need to spend more time in the weight room regardless.

41gy#;2741490 said:
On Massaquoi:

Georgia is a running team, and they run a pro style offense. Plus, Richt is conservative. He wants to pound the ball. They run first and pass second. Casey played in a spread offense where the ball is constantly in the air. I don't think it would be wise to spend a high pick on a project at FB and to run a trick offensive set. That's just me. I remember Anthony Fasano and how he was going to be this H-back. It didn't work. He couldn't block or catch a gift TD in the playoffs. Marcus McNeil is in San Diego, too. Casey will not see the quality of defensive backs that he saw in his conference.

Massaquoi was productive his freshmen year. He played and put up a good yardage total. Georgia's QB situation was not very good his sophomore season. Ask any Georgia fan. They were caught in transition. Massaquoi put up his best year this year, and he played with A.J. Green. He almost had 1,000 yards. He had some long TDs, and he torched Kentucky this year ( 8-191-1; LG 78; 23.9) and pretty much beat them by himself. He was on fire at the end of the season. He torched Florida (5-112-0; 22.4; LG 32).

As far as his hands go, he had some drop issues during his career. However, D.J. Shockley and Matthew Stafford (his sophomore year) didn't throw very good catchable balls. Shockley threw the ball hard, and Stafford threw the ball way to hard, imo, when he first started playing during Massaquoi's sophomore season. Stafford threw with consistent touch this year and had more experience quarterbacking. As a result, Massaquoi had his best year. His numbers were good. There is nothing wrong with being a reliable # 2 WR. They come out of the second round, too. He had some long TDs last year and got Florida deep in 2007. No one gets Florida deep.

He was clutch in the Georgia Tech and Kentucky games. He hurt Tennessee last year (5-103-1; 20.6; LG 32), too. He ended the year on fire. He put up good stats (58-920-8; 15.9 LG 78).

The Bears also love Rashad Johnson. They need a CB, S, DE, WR, and depth on the oline. Their RT situation isn't the best. They might take him, but I wouldn't be so sure. Another WR could fall to them. I read where they are not completely locked in on a WR. We'll see.

Massaquoi is a safe pick in a deep WR class. The run on WRs is going to be big, and Dallas may just go WR in round 2.

Massaquoi will not get past the Lions in round 3. They took notice when they worked Stafford out.

In my opinion, Massaquoi's WR skills at 51 are much safer than a player who is projecting to fullback. If Casey washes out like Fasano (blocking), you will have a glorified H-Back/Wild Cat guy.

The ball needs to go to Bennett, last year's second round pick.

I'll say this, too. Massaquoi does damage over the middle of the field. He's tough. He fits the Dallas profile and your profile. He was a solid, productive football player. Plus, he has upside. For all the Robiskie fans, I'll ask this. Will he go over the middle, get blasted and hang on to the ball, because this guy will.

I already admitted that he has the intangibles, no doubt, its just I'm hesitant about a guy so highly touted, since high school, but has not really broken out. His final year was nice, but it was not special. That is my only concern. I want someone who has the ability to be more than Roy, or a complement to Roy. As it is both are similar players, big over the middle possession guys w/some RAC ability. In fact, Roy is more athletic & productive. Massaquoi is a nice player, but will he beat out Austin at Z spot? He's certainly not going to beat Crayton in the slot. Casey IS a playmaker, whether its out of the backfield, out of the slot, or behind center. And I am certain he would beat out both Cricket at the FB spot and Hannah at the H-Back spot. For certain he will be the QB in any wildcat formations.

I like the kid, I do, just not with our second pick. Cowboys shoud draft a starter/immediate impact player at 69, just my opinion.

silverbear

Reaction score
RainMan;2741518 said:
Silverbear, to interject on the is-he-a-fullback thing, he might be listed as the same size as Moose, but their body types sure do look different.

Moose looked much more bulky than tall or lean, where as this guy just looks a little more angular, almost like a ticker wide receiver.

While the eyeball test might not offer much, they sure don't look to be built the same at all.

Point taken...

Y'know, you're too smart to have a fool like PacMan in your avatar... :D

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
RainMan;2741518 said:

I think the advent of time tricks our memories a bit. Moose was not hulking big like Lorenzo Neal, he really did not look so dissimilar to James Casey (w/the exception of arm length - Casey has much longer arms), other than maybe lean muscle definition. Plus Casey will get bigger, as Moose did when he came out of Syracuse. I believe Moose was in the 230ish range when he was drafted. Anyway compare for yourself.

johnston-daryl-dcb-2.jpg

451259496_d6LU3-L.jpg

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Actually I take it back, Casey is built longer than Moose (even tho Moose is not fat either). Casey was obviously playing under his combine weight b/c he was a bit thicker in the post season. Nevertheless, even at 246 he still looks lean.