Mosley claims we love James Casey

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
If they take him fairly early, and then he wins the FB job over Anderson maybe he could be a nice add. I dont hear good things about his blocking skills, but then again he probably wasnt ever asked to do it much, if at all. Doesnt mean he CANT.

He'd be a pretty large FB at 6'4 and almost 250lbs.

Nobody could question his receiving skills however. If they could make a decent lead blocker out of him he'd be quite a weapon for us in the base offense as well as the short yardage offense, most teams ignore the FB now, that clearly wouldnt be the case if he can adapt to the position.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2739531 said:
But he says the change in philosophy to preferring the high-character, no-nonsense "football player" is real at Valley Ranch. Even Jerry has come around on that.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2739750 said:
If they take him fairly early, and then he wins the FB job over Anderson maybe he could be a nice add. I dont hear good things about his bloking skills, but then again he probably wasnt ever asked to do it much, if at all. Doesnt mean he CANT.

He'd be a pretty large FB at 6'4 and almost 250lbs.

Nobody could question his receiving skills however. If they could make a decent lead blocker out of him he'd be quite a weapon for us in the base offense as well as the short yardage offense, most teams ignore the FB now, that clearly wouldnt be the case if he can adapt to the position.

A fullback who doesn't block?

Seriously?

For all of Casey's strengths, and there are plenty, blocking isn't one of 'em.

And for a fullback, that's strength #1.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
irvin4evs;2739683 said:
Lab, you do agree that generally you either go with a 2nd TE or a fullback in a conventional formation, yeah?

What do you think about keeping Bennett off the field to put on someone like Casey as a FB?

With the current make up of the WR corps, would it surprise anyone to see a 2 TEs and a loaded backfield?? That is definitely going to be a redzone set anyway, but if Bennett keeps improving the 2 TE set w/loaded backfield could supplant the 3 WR set. Especially if the offense is going to be more run oriented.

Having the versatility to run or pass out of that set would make the Cowboys offense deadly IMO.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
He looks a lot like Tebow running the ball in some of the video I watched.

Appears to be a very good receiver.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2739762 said:

Seriously?

I wouldn't call it a weakness

Spectre

Reaction score
He reminds me of Owen Daniels HOU which is a good thing.

But do we really need another one of these guys?

Witten is money. Let's move on. No more Fasano's or Bennett's please.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2739769 said:
He looks a lot like Tebow running the ball in some of the video I watched.

Appears to be a very good receiver.

When Tebow grows up, he wants to be James Casey! :D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JerryAdvocate;2739772 said:
I wouldn't call it a weakness

And that's fine for a utility player or H-back.

But Casey would have to justify the Cowboys placing him on the field.

Where would he do that without weakening the offense in some area?

Do you bench Bennett?

Then why did you use a 2nd rounder on him?

Do you bench Anderson?

Fine.

Where's the blocker for the running game?

I appreciate his versatility, I really do.

But I just don't see where he fits, especially in the 3rd round.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
stasheroo;2739762 said:

Seriously?

Seriously, I think you are overreacting. Look at the kid's history. Whatever he has been asked to do, he has done, whether it is to play QB, RB, WR or TE, he's done it, and done it pretty darn well. And all I'm talking about is on the football field, this kid is an overachiever and tough.

I am certain that he can be a fair to very good lead blocker. The kid is already about 250 lbs, with the frame to get bigger. He has displayed great ability to play in space, he is a tough physical runner, great hands and body control as a WR, and been very effective blocking in space out of the slot.

Even if he ultimately is only as good as Cricket as a run blocker, all his other talents balances it out in favor of the Cowboys. There are no two ways around it, Casey is a weapon who can line up almost anywhere, play multiple positions at a high level and he has unbelievably high intangibles.

It is simple addition, drafting him would only improve the Cowboys, especially at a position that is currently MEDIOCRE.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BAT;2739782 said:
Seriously, I think you are overreacting. Look at the kid's history. Whatever he has been asked to do, he has done, whether it is to play QB, RB, WR or TE, he's done it, and done it pretty darn well. And all I'm talking about is on the football field, this kid is an overachiever and tough.

I definitely agree. He's extremely versatile and would no doubt be an asset to an offense. I'm just not sure where he would fit here, given what this team currently has, and what they currently need.

BAT said:
I am certain that he can be a fair to very good lead blocker. The kid is already about 250 lbs, with the frame to get bigger. He has displayed great ability to play in space, he is a tough physical runner, great hands and body control as a WR, and been very effective blocking in space out of the slot.

I'm not certain. The reports I've seen don't bear this out either. The one criticism of him is his blocking. All reports I've seen have him listed at 6'4" 235 lbs. Too tall, and too light for a blocking fullback. It's almost as if the guy doesn't have a true position.

BAT said:
Even if he ultimately is only as good as Cricket as a run blocker, all his other talents balances it out in favor of the Cowboys. There are no two ways around it, Casey is a weapon who can line up almost anywhere, play multiple positions at a high level and he has unbelievably high intangibles.

It is simple addition, drafting him would only improve the Cowboys, especially at a position that is currently MEDIOCRE.

I don't see it that way, I'm all for upgrading over DEon Anderson, but a key part of that is having improved blocking for the running game.

And I don't see Casey providing that improvement.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stasheroo;2739762 said:

Seriously?

I havent seen him play, like I said the type of offense he's in and what they've asked him to do kind of dictated he didnt block, doesnt mean he doesnt have any ability to ever do it or improve at it. That might be one reason they are doing a private workout wih him.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stasheroo;2739780 said:
Do you bench Bennett?

absolutely not, Bennett is going to be extremely good.

Then why did you use a 2nd rounder on him?

Like I said, he isnt getting benched.

Do you bench Anderson?

Fine.

Where's the blocker for the running game?

If they draft Casey, its because they are convinced he can be the FB, and Anderson wont be here. Anderson is ok, but is certainly a guy that can be upgraded.

I appreciate his versatility, I really do.

But I just don't see where he fits, especially in the 3rd round.

Again it depends on if they truly believe he can be a FB. If so and they are also convinced he can block capably (to me a prereq for drafting him) then he isnt a bad addition. He does put another guy out there that creates matchup problems for a defense, and most teams dont even account for another teams FB.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2739732 said:
Fullback?

Reports I've read say that blocking is the weakest part of his game and that he has virtually no experience blocking out of the 3-point stance.

And here's a quote which should scare a lot of people off:

"Casey will be characterized as a Matt Jones-like tweener. But also like Jones, his unique upside could make him a stunningly high draft selection come April."

Nothing against Casey, but I have no interest in using this team's second or third rounder on another TE prospect.

You want a fullback? Draft this year's best in the 4th round!

Sorry I need to call you on your bull ****. Can you explain to me how a TE has no experience blocking in a 3 point stance.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Just say no. We don't need another Hback. We don't need another project.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
stasheroo;2739795 said:
I'm not certain. The reports I've seen don't bear this out either. The one criticism of him is his blocking. All reports I've seen have him listed at 6'4" 235 lbs. Too tall, and too light for a blocking fullback. It's almost as if the guy doesn't have a true position.

Those reports must be old. Casey was measured at the combine at 6'3.5 and weighed 246 lbs. I recommend NFLDS or CBSSPORTS for updated numbers.

And the reports you read of his blocking was directed at his in-line blocking skills, not his run blocking skills out of he backfield. Admittedly he is light for a TE and struggled blocking in-line. Analysts can only project what his run blocking skills from the backfield b/c they have no tape of him doing it. He has blocked out of the slot and he has done it well. The kid is extremely physical and BIG for a FB, why are you so adamant that he cannot do it?

I am sure that the Cowboys have professional scouts assessing his potential as FB, which includes blocking.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2739803 said:
I havent seen him play, like I said the type of offense he's in and what they've asked him to do kind of dictated he didnt block, doesnt mean he doesnt have any ability to ever do it or improve at it. That might be one reason they are doing a private workout wih him.

Yeah, hopefully you're right.

I'm just saying his physical measurables at 6'4" 235 lbs don't say 'fullback' to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2739816 said:
Sorry I need to call you on your bull ****. Can you explain to me how a TE has no experience blocking in a 3 point stance.

Don't "call" me, call the folks at Lindy's draft guide.

That's a direct quote from their scouts' review on him.

But I'm sure you know better.

:rolleyes:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
If they draft Casey, its because they are convinced he can be the FB, and Anderson wont be here. Anderson is ok, but is certainly a guy that can be upgraded.

I definitely agree that this team can upgrade over Anderson, and my own mock draft represents that. In fact, I've been criticized for advocating Fiammetta in round 4 which many feel is too high.

dbair1967 said:
Again it depends on if they truly believe he can be a FB. If so and they are also convinced he can block capably (to me a prereq for drafting him) then he isnt a bad addition. He does put another guy out there that creates matchup problems for a defense, and most teams dont even account for another teams FB.

I just can't see how that happens. In my opinion, he's simply too tall and too light to play fullback.