Mosley claims we love James Casey

Spectre

Reaction score
Pro Football Weekly:

"Lacks ideal size and needs to add bulk. Not a strong blocker and will struggle playing on the line of scrimmage. Lacks in-line power."

He's a great pass-catching TE... something we already have. Twice.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Spectre;2739996 said:
Pro Football Weekly:

"Lacks ideal size and needs to add bulk. Not a strong blocker and will struggle playing on the line of scrimmage. Lacks in-line power."

He's a great pass-catching TE... something we already have. Twice.

Uh, that description refers to Casey as a TE. Dallas is not interested in playing him at TE.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
BAT;2739980 said:
I think Casey contributes sooner than Massaquoi. I have heard that Massaquoi is a great interview, everyone comes away loving the living heck out of him, then they look at the film again and come to their senses. I hope.

The guy played for four years and was a team captain. His hands have improved to the point where they are outstanding. His size/speed ratio is very good. He runs great routes.

Massaquoi has the chance to contribute right away out of the slot or on the outside if needed.

He has a very good chance to be a very good # 2 WR in the NFL, imo. He's big, strong, and fast.

I'd rather have Massaquoi, but I'm not going to be picking.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
stasheroo;2739929 said:
Instigator!

Don't make me go all 'Ron Brace' on you 'cause I will!

:mad:

go Ron Brace on me? is that like standing around and not doing anything?:p:

Brace SUX!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
41gy#;2740002 said:
The guy played for four years and was a team captain. His hands have improved to the point where they are outstanding. His size/speed ratio is very good. He runs great routes.

Massaquoi has the chance to contribute right away out of the slot or on the outside if needed.

He has a very good chance to be a very good # 2 WR in the NFL, imo. He's big, strong, and fast.

I'd rather have Massaquoi, but I'm not going to be picking.

Seriously? I really don't understand the love for this player. He has great size and is very intelligent, obviously articulate and displays great character & leadership, but he was a bust for 3 seasons and had an above average year comparitively in 2008.

He does not have great speed and he drops way too many passes, especially since he is being projected as a possession receiver. Even as a receiver, Casey outperformed him. On and off the field. And he is not clutch, those 2 fumbles against Kentucky lost them that game. I do like the kid but I don't think he has done anything to deserve drafting that high. The Bears obviously love him too and are likely going to take him at 49, just before Dallas' pick at 51.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2739531 said:
Was talking about it on GAC today... Says we're going to work him out again in Houston tomorrow. Claims we see him as a fullback, not a TE.

Jimmy Johnson said you need playmakers to win in the NFL, and Casey is a playmaker...

That would be a joyful thing to see, a pass-catcher of that caliber coming out of the backfield... as an added bonus, I read that he would have been the Owls' quarterback if he'd come back for his senior season, so I'm thinking Wildcat QB every once in a while...

And of course, if Jason Witten were to ever get hurt, you could plug Casey in at TE and not miss a beat... yeah, there's all kinds of levels on which I could see him in a Cowboys uniform...

But if the Boys really were trying to keep their interest in Casey a secret, somebody oughta look Mosley up and smack him in the mouth... teach him that "loose lips sink ships", as the old folk used to say... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2739551 said:
Good. Get rid of Cricket. I think Casey can be used in alot of ways as a fullback and could be a great asset to this team.

My only reservation is if he can block well enough for the running game... other than that, I'm all for this rumor...

silverbear

Reaction score
stasheroo;2739732 said:
Fullback?

Reports I've read say that blocking is the weakest part of his game and that he has virtually no experience blocking out of the 3-point stance.

Apparently, scouts think he can block just fine with some technique work, he just wasn't asked to in Rice's spread offense...

silverbear

Reaction score
BAT;2739733 said:
Don't worry HoL, I won't say I told you so, not until we actually drafted him. :D

Seriously, I understand that many disregard the FB position, especially how it has been used (or underused) currently. But intead of thinking of it as FB, think of it as another weapon for Romo. Another safety valve who is also a playmaker. Another guy as reliable as Witten, on the field at the same time would make the Cowboys crazy consistent AND UNPREDICTABLE on third and short/medium.

EXACTLY right, BAT... that's what Casey would bring to the Boys...

silverbear

Reaction score
dbair1967;2739750 said:
If they take him fairly early, and then he wins the FB job over Anderson maybe he could be a nice add. I dont hear good things about his blocking skills, but then again he probably wasnt ever asked to do it much, if at all. Doesnt mean he CANT.

He'd be a pretty large FB at 6'4 and almost 250lbs.

Nobody could question his receiving skills however. If they could make a decent lead blocker out of him he'd be quite a weapon for us in the base offense as well as the short yardage offense, most teams ignore the FB now, that clearly wouldnt be the case if he can adapt to the position.

You're always good for a thoughtful take on subjects like this...

silverbear

Reaction score
stasheroo;2739762 said:
A fullback who doesn't block?

Seriously?

For all of Casey's strengths, and there are plenty, blocking isn't one of 'em.

And for a fullback, that's strength #1.

Again, Stash, just because he wasn't asked to block in college, it doesn't mean he CAN'T... Dave Te-Thomas, writing for NFL Draft Scout, said this:

he is a work in progress, but with his work ethic he just needs patient coaching to teach him proper blocking techniques (in the spread, he was not asked to block much at Rice).

A guy who bounces around from position to position the way Casey has in college doesn't get the schooling in fundamentals at any position... I'd be quite eager to see what he could do if the Boys used him mostly at FB (with the odd snap as Wildcat QB)...

We're talking about diversifying the offense, making it tougher for opposing D's to key in on any one aspect of that offense... give Romo weapons at WR, at TE AND at FB for his passing game...

silverbear

Reaction score
stasheroo;2739780 said:
And that's fine for a utility player or H-back.

But Casey would have to justify the Cowboys placing him on the field.

Where would he do that without weakening the offense in some area?

Do you bench Bennett?

Some snaps yes, some snaps no... I'm quite sure the Boys can figure out ways to make use of Witten, Bennett AND Casey over the course of a 16 game season...

Do you bench Anderson?

Actually, I'd cut him... he's JAG...

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
It's probably the term "FB" that causes everyone so much unease. IMO Casey's position is not so easily defined, or pigeon-holed, and that is a GOOD thing.

Call him a H-Back if it makes you sleep better at night. Barring that just call his position Thunder Back and be done w/it (nickname is Thor, I'm being punny).

Casey is a playmaker, why would anyone not want another one of those??

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
silverbear;2740039 said:
Some snaps yes, some snaps no... I'm quite sure the Boys can figure out ways to make use of Witten, Bennett AND Casey over the course of a 16 game season...

Actually, I'd cut him... he's JAG...

:D I'm so looking forward to when that finally happens. Nothing personal against Cricket, but he SUCKS.

silverbear

Reaction score
stasheroo;2739795 said:
I'm not certain. The reports I've seen don't bear this out either. The one criticism of him is his blocking. All reports I've seen have him listed at 6'4" 235 lbs. Too tall, and too light for a blocking fullback.

Actually, he measured 6-3, 246 pounds at both the Combine and his Pro Day workouts... still a LITTLE tall for a fullback, but IIRC, Moose was 6-2, 245... does that extra inch really spell the difference between a good fullback and a questionable one, stash??

It's almost as if the guy doesn't have a true position.

Which is actually part of his VALUE... he can be your fullback, he can be your H-back, he can be your TE if Witten got hurt (and a remarkably similar TE, able to run middle routes from the slot), and he can be your Wildcat QB... opposing defenses will never be quite sure what he's gonna do on any one play...

silverbear

Reaction score
BAT;2739835 said:
Those reports must be old. Casey was measured at the combine at 6'3.5 and weighed 246 lbs. I recommend NFLDS or CBSSPORTS for updated numbers.

Actually, BAT, NFLDS lists him at 6-3 even for both the combine measurements and his Pro Day workouts...

silverbear

Reaction score
reddyuta;2739847 said:
if he is not a good blocker then we dont need him.

Again, he's never been ASKED to block, in Rice's spread offense... doesn't mean he can't learn that skill... the scouting reports I've read suggest that all he needs is to learn the techniques...

silverbear

Reaction score
stasheroo;2739849 said:
I just can't see how that happens. In my opinion, he's simply too tall and too light to play fullback.

The problem is, you're basing that opinion on some incorrect numbers... instead of 6-4, 235, the guy's 6-3, 245... still a little tall for a FB, but only a little... and I'd suggest that most FBs in the league are in that 245 pound range...

Guess it hasn't occurred to you that the Cowboys have asked themselves the questions you're asking, and believe that he can be a competent blocker...

I'm counting you to understand that I'm not dissin' you, just offering you some input you obviously don't currently possess, in the hopes that it might make you look at the guy again, this time armed with the facts...

Over the last 24 hours, I have become quite intrigued with the possibilities of James Casey in a Cowboys uniform... I think he could make the offense more diverse, more dangerous...

silverbear

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2739868 said:
Cut the crap. You're going to tell me you accept them saying that Casey doesn't have a lot of experience blocking from a 3 point stance and he's a TE....c'mon let's be realistic.

Why are you being so belligerent about this, Stash isn't being a jerk or anything...

silverbear

Reaction score
stasheroo;2739871 said:
I'll counter with this one:

It would be nice if you sourced this "analysis", so that we could judge the author's credibility...

For example, they have Casey running a 4.78 40, he ran a 4.74 at the combine and a 4.69 at his Pro Day workout... they did, however, get this height and weight correct...

Most scouting reports are considerably more positive about Casey than the one you just shared, so perhaps you should consider the possibility that this analysis is not the consensus opinion on him... indeed, the author may have some bias against Casey...