Most Memorable Movie of the Decade

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2844548 said:
There was negative reaction to the film because the portrayal of Jews in places was perceived as negative - whether folks agree with that or not is irrelevant.

Artful interpretation? Maybe. But broadly, reviews for the film were mixed.

Perhaps the subjective perceptions were what was irrelevant; it was a retelling of events, not a portrayal of how Jews are. Much like what Romans did are simply depicted as events. Should I protest Spartacus? Gladiator? They sure make my ancestors look like inhuman *****.

But we both know that would be ridiculous.

You do know that in many many years from now, when the sting of what Hitler did is blunted by time, that the portrayal of the Germans will probably just as easily be perceived as negative, by Germans?

Reviews have no bearing on whether a work of art is art.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Jon88;2844182 said:
Jason and Michael Myers keep rising from the dead. Those guys have been killed at least 20 times a piece.

vta;2844561 said:
Perhaps the subjective perceptions were what was irrelevant; it was a retelling of events, not a portrayal of how Jews are. Much like what Romans did are simply depicted as events. Should I protest Spartacus? Gladiator? They sure make my ancestors look like inhuman *****.

You do know that in many many years from now, when the sting of what Hitler did is blunted by time, that the portrayal of the Germans will probably just as easily be perceived as negative, by Germans?

Valkyrie didn't offend any Germans

jem88

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2844061 said:
Borat was my favorite comedy (although "comedy" is not accurate as it is at times biting satire)

Squid and the Whale - tremendous film that should have received a Best Picture nomination. Personally, the most memorable film for me.

Bowling for Columbine - hate MM if you want, but this one was oustanding and provocative.
Loved Squid and The Whale. Criminally underrated. As for other movies that fit the criteria, I'd have to say:

LOTR - I wasn't crazy about the 2nd and 3rd installments but can't deny that this franchise has had a huge impact on the cinematic landscape.

Brokeback Mountain - Loved it, should have won best picture. As well, everybody had a feeling about it one or the other (even those who didn't watch it.)

Borat - Captures so much of what makes for popular entertainment these days (for better or worse...)

The Dark Knight - Personally felt it was overrated but the fact that everyone has seen it says something about it.

Finding Nemo - Hard to pick one Pixar flick, but this one was probably the most resonant.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
vta;2844561 said:

A retelling of alleged events - and if you don't like how the Romans are portrayed then complain all you want. Last I checked the Romans weren't the subject of negative attitudes and poor treatment stemming from these alleged events, so there is a big difference here.

The difference between the Holocaust and biblical stories is that the holocaust happened whereas the Jesus-thing reflects events that those of certain faiths believe happened.

Reviews have no bearing on the quality of a film? By the same regard then your opinion that it is art has no bearing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2844548 said:
There was negative reaction to the film because the portrayal of Jews in places was perceived as negative - whether folks agree with that or not is irrelevant.

Artful interpretation? Maybe. But broadly, reviews for the film were mixed.
I hate to jump back in on this but I must mention the obvious........
The star and hero of the movie was a Jew and all those who were closest to him were as well.

The difference between the Holocaust and biblical stories is that the holocaust happened whereas the Jesus-thing reflects events that those of certain faiths believe happened.

Events leading up the Passion are not debated much at all by anyone of any faith...it is very well documented. The part that follows is what separates everyone.

Of course, your points about crazy loons dreaming up reasons to hate are completely valid....but those people need no special reason to hate and will do so regardless.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
numnuts23;2844089 said:
Good call Bob - but I'd have to say Xmen - it came out 2 years before Spiderman, and it jumpstarted the Superhero genre - which have pretty much dominated the entire decade.

(edit - I guess the question isn't the most influential movie of the decade - my bad! )

SO I'd go with Gladiator

Id say Gladiator as well. It also spawned a countless number of movies from that era like Troy etc...

The scene were he takes off his helmet to reveal himself always jumps out at me when I think of that movie.

saphire1

Reaction score
crouching tiger, hidden dragon/hero - it was nice to see great martial arts films like these.

spiderman - imo spiderman was the best superhero movie of the decade. the 2nd installment was superb. what i liked best about spiderman was the way the stories humanizes the character. peter parker wasnt some playboy millionaire like bruce wayne or ironman, and his struggles with his inner demons have been well-written and well-portrayed.

lotr trilogy - if only for the majestic special effects and cinematography, and all that aesthetics. this trilogy made the harry potter series look like pitiful (which is a shame because the books were amazing).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DFWJC;2844683 said:
I hate to jump back in on this but I must mention the obvious........
The star and hero of the movie was a Jew and all those who were closest to him were as well.

Please. You know it was a movie about Christianity and a disputed issue between Jews and Christians. It is just plain ignorant to say "well, it was about a Jew"

DFWJC;2844683 said:
Events leading up the Passion are not debated much at all by anyone of any faith...it is very well documented. The part that follows is what separates everyone.

Of course, your points about crazy loons dreaming up reasons to hate are completely valid....but those people need no special reason to hate and will do so regardless.

Events leading up to what? Pretty much anything post-Old Testament is contested, so don't act like it is all consensus information.

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
The passion of the Christ, and No Country for Old Men. The new Star Trek movie gets honorable mention.
Oh Hell, add 300 in the mix as well.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2844631 said:
A retelling of alleged events - and if you don't like how the Romans are portrayed then complain all you want. Last I checked the Romans weren't the subject of negative attitudes and poor treatment stemming from these alleged events, so there is a big difference here.

Reviews have no bearing on the quality of a film? By the same regard then your opinion that it is art has no bearing.

I think I made it obvious how ridiculous it would be to get worked up over a portrayal in a movie.

And no, reviews have no bearing on the quality of any piece of art. Is a work of art only art after it's been seen by enough people to give their opinion? If a guy paints something and hangs it on his wall, it's not art until enough people come and give their opinion of it? If a guy makes a movie that doesn't see the light of day, it's not art because of that?

Art isn't art because people see it, it's art based on what the person making it puts into it.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
zrinkill;2844058 said:
LOTR Trilogy

^^ This ^^

Almost Famous?!?!

that makes no sense. It was a good movie but not anywhere close to LOTR and Dark Knight.

DFWJC

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2844948 said:
Please. You know it was a movie about Christianity and a disputed issue between Jews and Christians. It is just plain ignorant to say "well, it was about a Jew"

Events leading up to what? Pretty much anything post-Old Testament is contested, so don't act like it is all consensus information.
There you go with that "ignorant" comment again.

And once again you are putting words in my mouth. You already did it once and were out of line.

I did not at all say it was not about Christianity. But absolutely and of course it was about the death one the most famous Jews to ever live. They don't get any more Jewish than "Rabbi" Jesus.

And the post-Old Testament comment...all I can say is "wow" without joining you in so casually throwing around the ignorant term . Few people in history have more backup information from various sources--Christian or non--when we are discussing who existed when and how they died. Now, the movie itself took liberties with the details of the torture, but it was just a movie. If you wish to not believe the rest (resurrection, miracles, etc), fine. The Old Testament, on the other hand is an entirely different story...so much of it has no backup information whatsoever (beginning w/ Adam, extending to Noah, and proceeding to Moses' multiple private conversations in the Tent, and going way beyond) except assumed direct contact with God---still, I personally choose to give it equal validity. But then, I try to be fair and open minded.....and it is called faith for a reason;)

Time for me to bail on this topic. We are getting nowhere.
I'll respect your take on things without throwing any personal insults your way.

Temo

Reaction score
Doomsday;2844810 said:
Id say Gladiator as well. It also spawned a countless number of movies from that era like Troy etc...

The scene were he takes off his helmet to reveal himself always jumps out at me when I think of that movie.

Man, I can't believe I can't find any youtube clips of Gladiator anywhere :(

I guess IMDB will have to do:

Commodus: Rise. Rise.
[Maximus stands up, clenching an arrow head in his right hand]
Commodus: Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard. I don't think there's ever been a gladiator to match you. As for this young man, he insists you are Hector reborn. Or was it Hercules? Why doesn't the hero reveal himself and tell us all your real name? You do have a name.
Maximus: My name is Gladiator.
[turns away from Commodus]
Commodus: How dare you show your back to me! Slave, you will remove your helmet and tell me your name.
Maximus: [removes helmet and turns around to face Commodus] My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
[Commodus trembles in disbelief]
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0032962/

DFWJC

Reaction score
Temo;2845108 said:
Man, I can't believe I can't find any youtube clips of Gladiator anywhere :(

I guess IMDB will have to do:

Commodus: Rise. Rise.
[Maximus stands up, clenching an arrow head in his right hand]
Commodus: Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard. I don't think there's ever been a gladiator to match you. As for this young man, he insists you are Hector reborn. Or was it Hercules? Why doesn't the hero reveal himself and tell us all your real name? You do have a name.
Maximus: My name is Gladiator.
[turns away from Commodus]
Commodus: How dare you show your back to me! Slave, you will remove your helmet and tell me your name.
Maximus: [removes helmet and turns around to face Commodus] My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.
[Commodus trembles in disbelief]

Loved it.

Joaquin Phoenix was also outstanding.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
DFWJC;2845110 said:
Loved it.

Joaquin Phoenix was also outstanding.

I cant think of a better movie. I dont know that its influential in any way. But it is certainly memorable.

I really would have to see a good list of 50-100 movies to pick from to really decide(or remember).

Some of favorite lines from Gladiator

"You will see your family again.. but not yet" (I thought the chemistry between Maximus and Juba was outstanding.. I was sold)

"Father to a murdered son, husband to a murder wife... I will have my vengeance in this life of the next" (big gulp for Phoenix) lol great stuff

His wife didnt have a big part in movie... but she is soooooooooo my type.:D

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Passion of the Christ, No Country For Old Men, Mystic River

Any of those three could easily get my vote. I'd likely be very happy to vote for The Dark Knight as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Lodeus;2845165 said:
The Pianist.

I forgot about that one. I say the sheer quality was fabulous, but maybe the radial impact may not hold up to some of the others. JMO

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If we are really talking most memorable, one movie that I have not seen much of (if at all) is Training Day. Denzel's defining role. First Black Actor to win the Academy Award for Best Actor. One heck of a movie.