Most pivotal player to Cowboys 2022 season is Jalen Hurts?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The Eagles have done some nice upgrades this offseason and built a very well rounded team. The only edge besides RB that most agree Dallas has is the all important one of QB.

Year 3 will be pivotal for Hurts who knows the Eagles have enough draft capital to trade up next year and take a QB if he fails. He also will have no excuse about the talent around him.

If he plays even above average for around 3500 yards and 25 TDs - 10 INTs, the Eagles may walk over Dallas. That would be a substantial improvement from last years 3100 yards, 16 TD and 9 INT.

Now if Dak plays at the level he did the first 2 months of 2021 it would be a wash but aside from Dak being an MVP (how realistic is that to ask any QB not Rodgers or Mahomes) Philthy is set up much better as a whole team than Dallas if they just get above average play from Hurts

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
If the most pivotal for a team is the opposing QB then you don’t have faith in your own QB
As I stated Dak would need to play at an MVP level to overcome the 1-53 talent discrepancies between the two teams. That’s a lot to ask

phildadon86

Reaction score
The Eagles have done some nice upgrades this offseason and built a very well rounded team. The only edge besides RB that most agree Dallas has is the all important one of QB.

Year 3 will be pivotal for Hurts who knows the Eagles have enough draft capital to trade up next year and take a QB if he fails. He also will have no excuse about the talent around him.

If he plays even above average for around 3500 yards and 25 TDs - 10 INTs, the Eagles may walk over Dallas. That would be a substantial improvement from last years 3100 yards, 16 TD and 9 INT.

Now if Dak plays at the level he did the first 2 months of 2021 it would be a wash but aside from Dak being an MVP (how realistic is that to ask any QB not Rodgers or Mahomes) Philthy is set up much better as a whole team than Dallas if they just get above average play from Hurts
I also think the eagles are vastly improved but let’s not get Crazy here. Dallas absolutely curb stomped them in their first meeting last season and they were pretty healthy. I don’t see how adding AJ brown is a 30 point swing.

Jipper

Reaction score
As I stated Dak would need to play at an MVP level to overcome the 1-53 talent discrepancies between the two teams. That’s a lot to ask

Huh? Your take is very off base...the Cowboys had the top offense last year and an upcoming defense with a fantastic turnover differential....they walked all over the Eagles.

While the eagles added some good pieces in the offseason, to say that they flipped the talent that much is silly. The gap has closed but your take sounds more like an eagles fan than anything honestly....even the most negative views here see that our team is at the least on par with Philly and that's not with making the statement that dak has to play at an mvp level just to think about closing the gap

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
You put enough good pieces around a below average QB and he can look a lot better than he really is.

We've watched it for the past 6 years.

Jipper

Reaction score
You put enough good pieces around a below average QB and he can look a lot better than he really is.

We've watched it for the past 6 years.

I agree on the statement but think dak is at least average...however it's becoming clear that talent around him has certainly improved his perceived skill set

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I agree on the statement but think dak is at least average...however it's becoming clear that talent around him has certainly improved his perceived skill set
I believe Dak and Hurts will have similar season this year.

Dak will probably have slightly better passing numbers while Hurts will easily have better rushing numbers balancing everything out.

I believe the gap between the talent they've had around them is MUCH bigger than the talent gap between them as QBs.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the gap between dak and the rest of the east qbs is like the distance between the earth and the moon.
#4 is miles ahead of the pack.
the eagles...much like washington last year...are vastly over-rated.
i have no idea if they are improved over last season.
no one will know that til october or november.
i like our chances.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
the gap between dak and the rest of the east qbs is like the distance between the earth and the moon.
#4 is miles ahead of the pack.
the eagles...much like washington last year...are vastly over-rated.
i have no idea if they are improved over last season.
no one will know that til october or november.
i like our chances.
You thinking the Cowboys are just better than everyone else.

Shocker.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I believe Dak and Hurts will have similar season this year.

Dak will probably have slightly better passing numbers while Hurts will easily have better rushing numbers balancing everything out.

I believe the gap between the talent they've had around them is MUCH bigger than the talent gap between them as QBs.
Yes because Hurts rushing numbers balances it out lmao

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If roster talent was all that mattered, we could have or should have won a lot more playoff games than 3 this century.

This Cowboys roster may not have been the MOST talented in the NFL, but it was enough to make the playoffs more than 8 times in the last 22 seasons. And win the East 6 times in the last 22 seasons. The beagles, WFT or midgets- doesn’t matter- we have been our own worst enemy.

The main reason this team hasn’t done much outside of the regular season is the culture created by the man who sits in the owner’s box. He won’t hire a great HC and let him have the appropriate authority to build a strong, accountable team culture. By his own design, Jerry is large and in charge of everything.

We’ve had enough talent the last 15 years to do a lot better than we have. Until JJ decides his way ain’t working, why should we expect different results than what we’ve been getting?

IMO, the key to the 2022 season for the Cowboys won’t be Jalen Hurts. It will be whether or not our players can rise up and overcome this bad culture.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Yes because Hurts rushing numbers balances it out lmao
Well, Hurts had 650 more rushing yards and 9 more rushing TDs than Dak last year. So yeah, that's a pretty huge gap.

Dak had the huge gap in passing stats.

I don't believe for a single solitary second that Dak puts up anywhere near the same numbers next season that he did last year without Cooper, Wilson, Collins on that offense. I believe Hurts passing numbers only get better because of the weapons the Eagles have added. Therefore closing the gap even closer in terms of passing the ball. Dak will never be the runner Hurts is, so Hurts will still have a huge gap there. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hurts ends up with more total yards and total TDs than Dak next season.

I know you probably think that because Dak has been better than Hurts the past 1 1/2 years that he will automatically always be better, but that's just now how things work. Guys get better, ya know? And when it comes to QBs like Hurts and Dak, who aren't THAT talented anyways, the talent around them matters even more. The Eagles, on paper, have much more talent than the Cowboys.

Maybe I'm dead wrong, but that's just how I see things.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also think the eagles are vastly improved but let’s not get Crazy here. Dallas absolutely curb stomped them in their first meeting last season and they were pretty healthy. I don’t see how adding AJ brown is a 30 point swing.

It is the year round typical Eagles suckage on this place. They are ALWAYS better than us according to many.
The NFL does it also. Eagles always win the off-season.

Flamma

Reaction score

If the Eagles have more success, it's not going to be because Hurts became a better, it will be because the team got better, and what they do overall will yield better results.

Think of the 49ers. You don't see them asking Garoppolo to be Aaron Rodgers. They run the ball well and play good defense. Go with high% pass plays.

There is no scenario where Jalen Hurts becomes a pass threat. No more than Daniel Jones or Taylor Heineken.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, Hurts had 650 more rushing yards and 9 more rushing TDs than Dak last year. So yeah, that's a pretty huge gap.

I don't believe for a single solitary second that Dak puts up anywhere near the same numbers next season that he did last year without Cooper, Wilson, Collins on that offense. I believe Hurts passing numbers only get better because of the weapons the Eagles have added. Therefore closing the gap even closer in terms of passing the ball. Dak will never be the runner Hurts is, so Hurts will still have a huge gap there. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hurts ends up with more total yards and total TDs than Dak next season.

I know you probably think that because Dak has been better than Hurts the past 1 1/2 years that he will automatically always be better, but that's just now how things work. Guys get better, ya know? And when it comes to QBs like Hurts and Dak, who aren't THAT talented anyways, the talent around them matters even more. The Eagles, on paper, have much more talent than the Cowboys.

Did you ever think that Hurts and his running actually hurt the Eagles. Because he Can't pass?
Don't let your hate for Dak shine light on Hurts. Hurts is not that good.

Look at Randall Cunningham, he had a lot of yards...a lot...look where that got him. Oh and he had some very good defenses also. At least Cunningham could throw the ball better than Hurts.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Things change...........

phildadon86

Reaction score

So you think Jalen hurts all of a sudden becomes a 20 point swing? The Cowboys dominated the Eagles in the first game of the season last year. In literally every facet of the game and Parsons hadn't even become Parsons at that point.

Cooper had 3 catches for 26 yards and no touchdowns, Wilson had 2 catches for 17 yards and a touchdown, and Collins didn't even play due to his suspension.

So the three players you listed did almost nothing to help the team to a win. Statistically at least. Dak threw 3 touchdowns and went for 238 yards on 26 attempts. Zeke had 95 yards and 2 touchdowns.

I am not bringing up the second game against the eagles because the Cowboys played their water boy and equipment managers but to say that the Eagles all of a sudden are now some amazing team that the Cowboys should fear because they added AJ Brown is asinine and you know it. You are simply using this thread as yet another way to talk about Dak in a negative way which is fine, that's kind of who you are now and he deserves it after his second half last season but come on.

I also think the Eagles did a lot and became better. But that's on paper. The games aren't played on paper. And for some reason when the Eagles are on the card this team steps it up at least since 2016.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Did you ever think that Hurts and his running actually hurt the Eagles. Because he Can't pass?
Don't let your hate for Dak shine light on Hurts. Hurts is not that good.

Look at Randall Cunningham, he had a lot of yards...a lot...look where that got him. Oh and he had some very good defenses also. At least Cunningham could throw the ball better than Hurts.
Dak took the #1 offense and top 10 defense Dallas Cowboys just as far as Hurts took the Eagles last season.

I'm not high on Hurts at all. I just don't think it's at all farfetched to think that Hurts could have a better season than Dak next year based off the offensive talent comparison.

Dak and Hurts are similar in that they need great talent around them to succeed. They're not going to make guys better. On paper, I believe anyone can see that the Eagles offensive talent is flat out better than the Cowboys offensive talent. That doesn't mean it will be when the season starts, but today, on paper, it is.

Hurts has 19 career starts. We have no idea how much better he could get or what he can do with great talent around him. It's foolish to think that Dak will automatically always be better than him just because he has been for Hurts first 19 starts.