Most pivotal player to Cowboys 2022 season is Jalen Hurts?

Creeper

Reaction score
The Eagles have done some nice upgrades this offseason and built a very well rounded team. The only edge besides RB that most agree Dallas has is the all important one of QB.

Year 3 will be pivotal for Hurts who knows the Eagles have enough draft capital to trade up next year and take a QB if he fails. He also will have no excuse about the talent around him.

If he plays even above average for around 3500 yards and 25 TDs - 10 INTs, the Eagles may walk over Dallas. That would be a substantial improvement from last years 3100 yards, 16 TD and 9 INT.

Now if Dak plays at the level he did the first 2 months of 2021 it would be a wash but aside from Dak being an MVP (how realistic is that to ask any QB not Rodgers or Mahomes) Philthy is set up much better as a whole team than Dallas if they just get above average play from Hurts

I never considered this perspective but it is an interesting one. I have to agree. Looking at the Eagles offensive roster it is hard to imagine they will not be a powerful offense if Hurts improves. Start with their OL. It is one of the best in the league, particularly at run blocking. It is not without question marks but they proved they can run block last year. Plus, they have speed and quickness at RB. They have one of the best TEs in the league. Goedert can catch passes and block. Their WR group is not just about AJ Brown. They also have Devonta Smith and Quez Watkins, a burner. And if Jalen Reagor ever develops they will have weapons upon weapons. The Eagles have quality players and depth on offense. It is all about Hurts.

The Eagles loaded their defense too. That DL is strong. Hargrave was one of the top DTs in the league last year. At times he was unblockable. Fletcher Cox is along side him. He is getting long in the tooth but can still muster a push in the middle. Behind them they have Milton Williams who showed last December he is going to be a headache for the Cowboys for a while. They also drafted Jordan Davis who has a good chance to be the powerhouse the Fletcher Cox once was. Then they are getting Brandon Graham back this year, with Derek Barnet and Josh Sweat on the other side. The added Haason Reddick at LB and Kyzir White. They have Darius Slay and James Bradberry at CB. Show me the weakness in this defense.

If they had a decent QB, the Eagles are a Super Bowl team. I think they have enough to win the NFCE anyway, despite Hurts. But if he has a good season, meaning he does not give the ball away and make stupid plays, I think the Eagles run away with the division and earn their way into the Super Bowl. Of course injuries will play a part in his too.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You're implying that because we beat a team by a fair amount a year ago that we're clearly still the better team a year later.

That's foolish.

What us and the Eagles did last year has zero baring on what happens when we play them this season.

I mean you literally said "I don't see how adding AJ Brown is a 30 point swing"... What are you trying to say there then? You're acting as if it's going to be the exact same game, except the Eagles have AJ Brown and he's not worth 30 points. Why would they need a 30 point swing to begin with unless you expect the same game?
I love how you do nothing but cherry pick.

Why havent you commented on the fact I called out the 3 players you brought up doing literally nothing in the first game against the Eagles. You cant pick and choose what to argue with.

I am saying the Cowboys destroyed them last season. And that I don't see how adding AJ Brown is a huge swing. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. The Eagles definitely improved, but did they improve enough to now beat the Cowboys? You keep bringing up Jalen Hurts and his 19 career starts. Do you not think that Parsons with a full year under his belt is going to be better? Or does that only work in arguments against the Cowboys for you? You turn every single thread into something to do with Dak. The Cowboys are still a good team. Are they good enough to beat the newly revamped and obviously unbeatable Eagles? Time will tell.

You are arguing about on paper. France on paper is the best team in the world in soccer. They lost to Switzerland. The games aren't played on paper. The eagles won the offseason that year with the dream team to. How did they do? Winning the off season means nothing.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I love how you do nothing but cherry pick.

Why havent you commented on the fact I called out the 3 players you brought up doing literally nothing in the first game against the Eagles. You cant pick and choose what to argue with.

I am saying the Cowboys destroyed them last season. And that I don't see how adding AJ Brown is a huge swing. The 2 aren't mutually exclusive. The Eagles definitely improved, but did they improve enough to now beat the Cowboys? You keep bringing up Jalen Hurts and his 19 career starts. Do you not think that Parsons with a full year under his belt is going to be better? Or does that only work in arguments against the Cowboys for you? You turn every single thread into something to do with Dak. The Cowboys are still a good team. Are they good enough to beat the newly revamped and obviously unbeatable Eagles? Time will tell.

You are arguing about on paper. France on paper is the best team in the world in soccer. They lost to Switzerland. The games aren't played on paper. The eagles won the offseason that year with the dream team to. How did they do? Winning the off season means nothing.
Why haven't I commented on the 3 player thing? Because it doesn't matter when it comes to this season and I don't care. It's pretty simple.

AJ Brown might do nothing at all, but that doesn't mean we will or won't beat the Eagles this year. That's foolish and I'm not going to keep going back and forth on it.

Unless you have an intelligent take in your responds to this I won't be replying any further on this topic.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I'm just curious.

If Hurts has a great season and the Eagles easily win the division while Dak is average and the Cowboys hover around .500 what will the narrative be?

That things need to change

Now what about the reverse? And we smash them again this year?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
That things need to change

Now what about the reverse? And we smash them again this year?
I mean, that's what ya'll are expecting, right? Then everything would have went how most (not me) here believed it would.

That's why I asked the question.

But to answer your question it would still all come down to the playoffs. Another Wild Card exit would still evoke the same questions as not making the playoffs in my opinion.

Last edited:

Proof

Reaction score
Huh? Your take is very off base...the Cowboys had the top offense last year and an upcoming defense with a fantastic turnover differential....they walked all over the Eagles.

While the eagles added some good pieces in the offseason, to say that they flipped the talent that much is silly. The gap has closed but your take sounds more like an eagles fan than anything honestly....even the most negative views here see that our team is at the least on par with Philly and that's not with making the statement that dak has to play at an mvp level just to think about closing the gap

i mean we lost amari, they gained aj brown. we lost randy gregory (and added dante fowler) they added hassan redick and kyzir white. we also lost collins, conor williams, and cedric wilson. wont include the drafts because who knows how that goes, but jordan davis is the best get of the bunch imo

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why haven't I commented on the 3 player thing? Because it doesn't matter when it comes to this season and I don't care. It's pretty simple.

AJ Brown might do nothing at all, but that doesn't mean we will or won't beat the Eagles this year. That's foolish and I'm not going to keep going back and forth on it.

Unless you have an intelligent take in your responds to this I won't be replying any further on this topic.
Amazing. Especially considering you brought it up as a way to discuss this season and what Dak lost. Only works when you do it i guess. lol. Typical.

"I don't believe for a single solitary second that Dak puts up anywhere near the same numbers next season that he did last year without Cooper, Wilson, Collins on that offense. "

Your words. Looks like you were comparing last season to this season. Hypocrite

Proof

Reaction score
Stop it. That's nonsense. Not only is Philly better in all of those areas but their depth is also much better.

was going to argue this but forgot they added bradberry as well. still not entirely sold, but it's not egregious. linebackers is though. obviously

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I mean, that's what ya'll are expecting, right? Then everything would have went how most (not me) here believed it would.

That's why I asked the question.

But to answer your question it would still all come down to the playoffs. Another Wild Card exit would still bring evoke the same questions as not making the playoffs in my opinion.

I agree ...... Another wild card excite would be unacceptable...... And I know how you feel about our QB but the only constant about this lack of playoff success for almost 30 years is the two idiots at the top.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Amazing. Especially considering you brought it up as a way to discuss this season and what Dak lost. Only works when you do it i guess. lol. Typical.
I brought up that we lost them and you brought up that they didn't play that well (and Collins didn't play at all).

Them not even being on the field at all and them not playing great is not a comparison. Cooper was the #1 receiver and drew all the attention. That is now gone. You're not going to have him opening things up for Lamb (Who also didn't play well in that 1st Eagles game). Lamb is going to be taking the attention away for who? Washington? Noah Brown? Gallup when comes back at some point? I bet teams are shaking in their cleats......

Surely you are smarter than this and see the difference in them not playing at all and them not playing great, right?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I agree ...... Another wild card excite would be unacceptable...... And I know how you feel about our QB but the only constant about this lack of playoff success for almost 30 years is the two idiots at the top.
I understand that and there's nothing we can do about it.

As much as I can't stand them at least those guys at the top have actually won something. That's more than Dak can say.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I brought up that we lost them and you brought up that they didn't play that well (and Collins didn't play at all).

Them not even being on the field at all and them not playing great is not a comparison. Cooper was the #1 receiver and drew all the attention. That is now gone. You're not going to have him opening things up for Lamb (Who also didn't play well in that 1st Eagles game). Lamb is going to be taking the attention away for who? Washington? Noah Brown? Gallup when comes back at some point? I bet teams are shaking in their cleats......

Surely you are smarter than this and see the difference in them not playing at all and them not playing great, right?
Doesnt matter. As you said. What happened last season has no bearing on this season.

P.S Shultz played great in that game as did Zeke. You are also forgetting Tolbert. Im not making assumptions based on paper. Like I said. Games arent played on paper. I expect Hurts to have a lot of Parsons in his face. Historically he doesnt do well in those situations.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If roster talent was all that mattered, we could have or should have won a lot more playoff games than 3 this century.

This Cowboys roster may not have been the MOST talented in the NFL, but it was enough to make the playoffs more than 8 times in the last 22 seasons. And win the East 6 times in the last 22 seasons. The beagles, WFT or midgets- doesn’t matter- we have been our own worst enemy.

The main reason this team hasn’t done much outside of the regular season is the culture created by the man who sits in the owner’s box. He won’t hire a great HC and let him have the appropriate authority to build a strong, accountable team culture. By his own design, Jerry is large and in charge of everything.

We’ve had enough talent the last 15 years to do a lot better than we have. Until JJ decides his way ain’t working, why should we expect different results than what we’ve been getting?

IMO, the key to the 2022 season for the Cowboys won’t be Jalen Hurts. It will be whether or not our players can rise up and overcome this bad culture.

26 years and its still hard for some to find the only common denominator..... to my knowledge we have not had the same players for 26 years so would be foolish to blame them everytime, and exceptionally foolish to blame the same position every year for 26 years...

Jimbo123

Reaction score
was going to argue this but forgot they added bradberry as well. still not entirely sold, but it's not egregious. linebackers is though. obviously
They have 4 very good Linebackers Haason Reddick, Kyzir White, T.J. Edwards, and Nakobe Dean

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until the play and we see how they come together, I've got two words for you about preselling the Eagles......Dream Team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I dsiagree I think D-Law is the most pivotal, if he gets back to form then this defense will be in a better position. Counting on a rookie WR is asking for disappointment.