Movies with best (and worst) sequels

quickccc

Reaction score
Best ... (and Worst) Movie Sequels of All Time ?

BEST MOVIE SEQUELS ?

https://collider.com/best-movie-seq...39-indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-39-1989

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-sequels-of-all-time/

34dcfa6553dae30f9bc614ac1c2b6175.jpg

277b69bbd2cd05c19cecbf668eb05697.jpg

5ffe79003530da912a82acac80be1426.jpg

dc77a2ce208d4333898c1650f6d2fba7.jpg

153e0ce8daeaa2b4be51c74bc2abd5fc.jpg

9dfe4cc6249c1b7cb5457b858b2019fe.jpg

a085098df2b77c7cdff6e8189843c304.jpg

efb94b356f51d1d01c6f9dedae6fc470.jpg

957ff3b8c35969f8f0d0752cee126cf1.jpg

37ead1e8a4f6963db35605901748aac5.jpg

f4b55c684e533915648dc01986ea8f04.jpg

9dfe4cc6249c1b7cb5457b858b2019fe.jpg

caee44f59d21e9ec57fb540026d14cd0.jpg

Worst Sequels of All Time ?

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/worst-sequels-of-all-time/

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/the-worst-sequels-of-all-time

f70d78afd9be910244685625a5b1e591.jpg

3392b133fc8e0b5cc6fb3d8ab3e85c16.jpg

3fb973ac6a51af92e524a2cd9fa4cd5e.jpg

0c0d71c4cc4355720ac822796cb40197.jpg

9860210e18216d24d128f122d51e7a7b.jpg

1c1712812ec462bcc9b7e07d80c12748.jpg

1a893dd549fe1605ff4a624663a4c925.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just going by the ones that you posted movie posters.

Best sequel: Even after all these years, I would argue it is The Empire Strikes Back. It is a 180 degree in sequence from Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame. Those two movies were first defeat, followed by victory. Star Wars episodes four and five were VICTORY followed by defeat. Moviegoers went to TESB thinking there would be another fairy tale fuzzy conclusion and left theaters wondering how good would triumph over evil again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll definitely disagree about Avatar needing a sequel. Way of Water was an uninspired, repetitive bore. If Cameron had nothing more to say, he should have just left it alone.

I don’t see how or why he’s supposed to make three more.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two of the best...

"The Godfather Part II"
"Aliens"

A great argument could be had for both being better than the first movie.
The Godfather, Part II, especially. Francis Ford Coppola upgraded the intrigue and criminal undertone of the original significantly.

I have mad love for Alien. What makes Aliens better (although not to the same degree as The Godfather movies by comparison for me) is the totally different approaches of the directors. Ridley Scott mixed suspense and horror to the nth degree. On the other hand, James Cameron made the sequel a rollercoaster ride combo of horror and action. In a way, I think the sheer adrenaline rush, Cameron instills in his movie, is what fundamentally boosts it above the original.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
I’ll definitely disagree about Avatar needing a sequel. Way of Water was an uninspired, repetitive bore. If Cameron had nothing more to say, he should have just left it alone.

I don’t see how or why he’s supposed to make three more.
Ditto here.

Way of Water seemed like a CGI special effects movie.
I found nuthin' extraordinary about its plot and screen write.

But apparently it's mere CGI visual special effects was so impressive enuff' for the Oscar Academy Awards voters
to award merits for it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Most of my favs have already been mentioned, but gotta mention Terminator 2, great sequel and Raid 2, think it's slightly better than the first which was awesome. Both "Kill Bill" movies were great, been hearing rumors about a third. All four "Mad Max" were great, "Fury Road" was pretty epic.

More recent movies, I liked "Extraction 2" as much as the first one and of course the "John Wick" movies. I didn't like "John Wick 4" as much as the first 3 but still a solid flick. The second "Spider Verse" animated was as good as the first.

And for an older flick the Japanese "Lone Wolf and Cub" movies, all six were awesome. I recently got around to watching all of them, top notch samurai movies for older flicks.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
I remember about 5 years ago there was a "The Last Jedi" thread that went on for weeks and I wondered how a Star Wars movie could need so much debate and discussion, I decided to start reading some of the posts and quickly realized how much of a mess The Last Jedi was. I remember seeing the .gif of Luke Skywalker tossing his old lightsaber over his shoulder and I though OMG did he really do that in the movie lol.....

gtb1943

Reaction score
The Empire Strikes Back was the best movie of the entire franchise. Rogue One the next best.
But the MAGIC of Star Wars A New Hope made everything else possible and that will never be matched let alone beaten. As ENTERTAINMENT it is superior, easily.

I look at Godfather 2 the same way. Godfather started something that no other movie could match. Of course it also had Brando. And Michael shedding his skin to become what he was always meant to be was the real story there.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
My list of underrated sequels:
  • Ghostbusters II. On everyone else's worst list, but I can't get enough of the Murray, Akroyd, Ramis humor. A movie that I think has gotten better with age. Many classic lines.
  • Superman II. I think it's regarded as a good movie, but to me, this is truly where the comic book movie stuff we see every week now got started. Superman vs Superman enemies with early 80's special effects. Way ahead of its time.
  • Gremlins II. Better than the original. Original was a Spielberg family movie. Sequel was a smart take on modern society, and still hilarious, much funnier than first one.
  • Adams Family Values. (II) Better than the original for pure comedy. First one felt like they were trying to get a feel for it, but the sequel took off with the comedy, chemistry and script. More hidden smart takes on society too, just like Gremlins 2, with the kids in their Thanksgiving Puritan Camp.
  • Dawn of the Dead remake. Going with OP's thread, not just the original, but the re-make was great too. Being trapped in a shopping mall during a zombie apocalypse such a popular theme it even spawned some video games. Watch this move again today for a "I didn't realize THAT guy was in it" experience with the loveable dad from Modern Family cast as the ultimate selfish jerk.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's another where the sequel was better...

"Terrifier 2".

No, not exactly "high-brow" film-making (or watching for that matter) but it is what it is. LOL

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
  • Ghostbusters II. On everyone else's worst list, but I can't get enough of the Murray, Akroyd, Ramis humor. A movie that I think has gotten better with age. Many classic lines.
  • Superman II. I think it's regarded as a good movie, but to me, this is truly where the comic book movie stuff we see every week now got started. Superman vs Superman enemies with early 80's special effects. Way ahead of its time.
  • Gremlins II. Better than the original. Original was a Spielberg family movie. Sequel was a smart take on modern society, and still hilarious, much funnier than first one.
  • Adams Family Values. (II) Better than the original for pure comedy. First one felt like they were trying to get a feel for it, but the sequel took off with the comedy, chemistry and script. More hidden smart takes on society too, just like Gremlins 2, with the kids in their Thanksgiving Puritan Camp.
  • Dawn of the Dead remake. Going with OP's thread, not just the original, but the re-make was great too. Being trapped in a shopping mall during a zombie apocalypse such a popular theme it even spawned some video games. Watch this move again today for a "I didn't realize THAT guy was in it" experience with the loveable dad from Modern Family cast as the ultimate selfish jerk.
Ghostbusters II was funny as Hell, but the first was definitely better, IMO.

Agree on Adams Family Values. They rounded out the characters developed the comedy a little better.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some additional thoughts on sequels...

"Jaws 2" Certainly not as good as the first movie, but had enough connection to the first film and a similar enough "feel" where I consider it a decent flick.

"Gigantis, The Fire Monster" was the American title. The original Japanese title is "Godzilla Raids Again" and is/was the sequel to the first Godzilla film, "Godzilla King of the Monsters". There seem to be a couple different reasons why the Japanese version of the movie was altered so much for American distribution and Godzilla's name (and roar) also changed. The result was a watchable film, but not much more than that. The original Japanese version of the film is much better IMO.

"Halloween II". It's a good slasher film IMO. Took up where the first film ended, and included several of the characters that were in the first film. The film's premise was washed away by subsequent entries in the series but it's a solid story.

"Friday the 13th Part II". In some ways like "Halloween II" in that the story starts with how the first film concludes. The result being a decent slasher film. Always found it interesting that the version of "Jason" in this film was changed in the following films to a person who's much larger, stronger and plodding than the Jason found in this film.

"Hostel II". Not a favorite of mine (though the ending is good). The story featuring women victims this time, just didn't click. Pretty much ended the "Hostel" franchise right there.

"Scream 2". I liked it. Thought it was a good story and built upon what we knew from the original.

"Saw II". Another decent sequel. Developed the character of Jigsaw, offering us glimpse of why he was doing all this and his first "apprentice" Amanda. The story was good as were the traps.

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2". What a weird and wacky sequel. While other sequels like "Halloween II" and "Friday the 13th Part II" more or less followed the theme's set forth in the originals, this story in this film is way different from the first one, which caused many fans of the first film to dislike it. But Dennis Hopper's character along with Caroline Williams character are very entertaining with the result being a much different film from the first one, but a very watchable film none-the-less.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
Most of my favs have already been mentioned, but gotta mention Terminator 2, great sequel and Raid 2, think it's slightly better than the first which was awesome. Both "Kill Bill" movies were great, been hearing rumors about a third. All four "Mad Max" were great, "Fury Road" was pretty epic.

More recent movies, I liked "Extraction 2" as much as the first one and of course the "John Wick" movies. I didn't like "John Wick 4" as much as the first 3 but still a solid flick. The second "Spider Verse" animated was as good as the first.

And for an older flick the Japanese "Lone Wolf and Cub" movies, all six were awesome. I recently got around to watching all of them, top notch samurai movies for older flicks.
Ditto here.
I absolutely Luvvv the Raid series ! :bow:
(Luv them even more when English dub becomes available)

Supposedly a 3rd installment was to be in the making but rumors was it had been halted by the Covid pandemic
and I haven't heard any latest news about the 3rd Raid since. An admirable fan of the lead star- Iko Uwais.

Raid series is so hard core violently blood gory and loaded with very impressive fighting choreography
(Spoiler Alert) While the big kitchen fight in Raid 2 is simply among the most awesome fight scene
I've ever seen, Raid 2 is not quite as constant point A to point B non-stop paced and action loaded
as the original Raid movie, ..imo.
Plus Raid #1 is also far more gun-fire action than the sequel.

e5273e7f10249830f065660b8deb71b0.jpg

111e2f58288e1019a71149759b2f86b6.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a "love-hate" relationship with this film... Love the beginning and several of the characters were very good. Hate the ending and did not like the fast-zombie thing.

quickccc

Reaction score

Along with Aliens, the sequel, .. I also included Terminator Judgement Day as a better movie than the original.
The original introduced us to the origin of Skynet terminators and why they were forced to send one of them back to
the future.

Judgement Day added the terminator vs terminator effect and awesome action fight/stunt and chase scenes
that even the original could not come close to.
Older version terminator (Arnold) vs new age terminator (Patrick) (liquid metal) while introducing young teen John Connor.
The bond relation between Arnold and young Conner added even more intriguing.

John Wick 4 in a sense, gave me that " uh oh, running out of ideas " thought mode. Much like the Fast-Furious series.
I feel that the next (and final ?) John Wick #5 film needs to be more focused on the Origin of Wick,
- how he became Wick, and connected to the Continental and an hired assassin.
- who taught him that very one-of-a-kind, unique shooting/hand fighting combination that is the utter trade mark
to John Wick.
- (Briefly) how he met and feel in love with future wife Helen.
- also introduce key new and intriguing characters that could made into future spinoffs

Last edited by a moderator:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Along with Aliens, the sequel, .. I also included Terminator Judgement Day as a better movie than the original.
The original introduced us to the origin of Skynet terminators and why they were forced to send one of them back to
the future.

Judgement Day added the terminator vs terminator effect and awesome action fight/stunt and chase scenes
that even the original could not come close to.
Older version terminator (Arnold) vs new age terminator (Patrick) (liquid metal) while introducing young teen John Connor.
The bond relation between Arnold and young Conner added even more intriguing.

John Wick 4 in a sense, gave me that " uh oh, running out of ideas " thought mode. Much like the Fast-Furious series.
I feel that the next (and final ?) John Wick #5 film needs to be more focused on the Origin of Wick,
- how he became Wick, and connected to the Continental and an hired assassin.
- who taught him that very one-of-a-kind, unique shooting/hand fighting combination that is the utter trade mark
to John Wick.
- (Briefly) how he met and feel in love with future wife Helen.
- also introduce key new and intriguing characters that could made into future spinoffs
John Wick and Fast and the Furious. Probably the only franchises were the sequels built the franchise, usually it starts on top and starts to go down. These probably all started in the middle, and went up. More popular as more movies came out. I should probably include Mission impossible too. First one was prettty forgettable. They started shifting to that ‘Tom Cruise does his own batflip crazy stunts’ model and the franchise gained more momentum. To a degree, Terminator but mostly from T2. I enjoyed all the other sequels, but it feels like they never really got the same magic back.

quickccc

Reaction score
I have a "love-hate" relationship with this film... Love the beginning and several of the characters were very good. Hate the ending and did not like the fast-zombie thing.
I myself, on the other hand, luvved the fast running zombies effect ! ..that new element made it much more of a fierce challenge and task to have to survive the zombie apocalypse.

- I was always thinking, " thank goodness, zombies are so slow walking, instead of fast running, otherwise humankind would not have a chance ! "
- And apparently some zombie-directors must have been thinking the very same thing and put that fast-run zombies
into motion.
Uh, oh !..It was much easier to avoid and by step those slow, stiff lumbering zombies.
Now try to out-run those suckers now !

- Creaky knees ? .. stiff hips? ... old and overweight ? (all of which sound like me ..lol) ...
Too bad ! ..Instant lunch for da zombies !

- I felt because of " 28 Days Later " movie (more of an virus infestation than actual zombie movie) was the
movie that presented the fast running zombie element and began the new trend in zombie chasing movies
(World War Z, Resident Evil, Train to Busan, 28 Weeks Later, etc.)

- " Return of the Living Dead (1985)" maybe the first to begin the fast running zombies even before 28 days later,
but it seemed like an experiment that no other zombie studio took to serious and mimic the idea.

- Was " Night of the Comet " more of an infected movie (ala 28 Days Later) ... than actual zombie return
from dead movie ?

:huh: