My all-time most hated football cliche/terms/sayings

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
sonnyboy;2412997 said:
Complain "if you will", but "at the end of the day" you're just going to have to endure us killers of the English language. "Know what I'm saying?":p:

Yes, unfortunately, i do know what you are saying, so to speak. It just is what it is.:p:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PullMyFinger;2413002 said:
He has potential
He's an athlete
I hate It when people say "you know" a lot, you know?
:hammer:

Or say "um" a lot.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
OK, some cliches/terms/sayings from football of the 1930s and 1940s.

"Dang, he carried that ball like a nickle loaf of bread."

"If he keeps playing that way, he might wind up selling apples on the street."

"That owner is close with a dollar; closer than Coolidge is with his secretary."

"He's making $100 a month to play but he sure isn't playing like it."

"He wants to pass? Next thing you know they'll want doctors on the sidelines. Keep it on the ground!"

"These newfangled helmets are for sissies. What's the world coming to?"

"the monsters of the midway look like midgets of the playground."

"This team wants to travel only by train. Tell it to the Marines!"

"Ya know, times were simpler when it didn't take two dollars to bring the the whole family to the game."

"Look, look, there! Some fans showed up without suit and ties! The world is sure changing, Homer."

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Ummmm....it is what it is. We're going to win in the trenches and live to play another down, another game, another day.

bigE79

Reaction score
the seasons a marathon not sprint and we got to take it 1 game at a time...THOSE 2 PISS ME OFF

cowboyed

Reaction score
This team has no heart (What are they all connected to a positive displacement pump)

Slobberknock football (Only Cowher qualifies)

He is playing in his contract year (opportunistic piece of shyte)

He is all dinged up (what from pea gravel)

He is an athletic quarterback (meaning stupid)

He is a smart quarterback (meaning not athletic)

His bell was rung (if it was an Olineman he would be running to the dinner table)

arglebargle

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2413009 said:
I must confess. I have never heard that one. but I will think of it next time I see Brad throw the football.

How about: "they're icing the guy (kicker)." No, they are just delaying the guy.

The thing I like best about this is the coach calling the time out at the last minute, and the play continues, ending up with a block or a miss. They then re-kick, and the field goal is good. Just desserts....

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
bigE79;2413039 said:
the seasons a marathon not sprint and we got to take it 1 game at a time...THOSE 2 PISS ME OFF

Man, if I had a prize to give, you'd git it!

"Take it 1 game at a time.":bow:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My eyes are bleeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Temo

Reaction score
"They really established the run" or "They should ahve established the run"

You don't establish the run any more than you establish the pass, yet no one says "they should establish the pass".

Also, the latter often comes out to mean "run into that brick wall of a defense 25 times a game, I don't care if you're getting less than 2 yards a carry." Which is ********.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
theogt;2412992 said:
"Give me the ball"

We hardly know each other.
Besides, as I tolt yew, when you private messaged me with ahem, suggestive suggestions, that I already have a sweetie pie, Ms. Busty.

As to your initial response, you are waiting for approbation, right? Go look it up. I will wait.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I hate when the word “sexy” is used to describe a draft pick, a team or anything sports related. Don’t pervert the word like that. My wife is sexy, not the New York Giants chances of making it to the Super Bowl. Or a guy saying that or calling a player a “stud”.

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
Any halftime player interview.

"It's been a tough game. We need to go out there and give it all we got. I think we got a pretty good game plan against these guys, and we know the game isn't going to be handed to us, we need to prove to everyone that were good enough to go out there and take our win. They're team looks to be really good, so were just going to have to be careful, and make adjustments when needed. I think it's going to be a little different in the next half."

Thanks Captain Obvious, back to you guys up in the booth.

Section446

Reaction score
Temo;2413161 said:
To my knowledge, only one guy has said that seriously...
One guy might have said it but it's something that we are forced to hear all the freaking time.