My CD "Open to Interpretation" is for sale...

wileedog

Reaction score
Juke99;3283718 said:
wileedog...

If I wasn't a moderator having to be big and tough, I'd admit that your story brought tears to my eyes. :)

With your dog (and mine), my mind instantly flips back to Tom Smith's words in the movie "Seabiscuit"..."Ya don't throw away a whole life just because it's a little banged up"

That is the gold in taking home a dog that's a "little banged up"...the rehab process, while trying at times, is about the most rewarding thing you'll ever do.

I'm in the process of writing a short book for shelters...it's about adopting an adult dog and how different that process is than bringing home a puppy. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions about your experience.

Thanks again for the stories. Great stuff.

Shoot me a PM anytime bro. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Juke99;3283513 said:
Well sure, butchering my songs would be reduntant. :p:

So, what do you play?

I have studied Spanish guitar for about 12 years (some flamenco...lot of right hand technique fingerpicking), and I dabble in acoustic blues guitar. I only do this as a hobby, however, I do gigs for weddings, parties, and just hanging with friends. But, I have played guitar for many, many years. I started music playing the alto sax, but that is only good for so long. Right now I'm trying to learn as many riffs/licks in the key of E for some blues lead.

One time I was playing for some folks and they told me that I should be on the radio! I said, "Really, thanks, man"! Then they said, "Yeah, that way we could turn it off"!!

:confused:

:D (bastids)...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
5Stars;3284607 said:
I have studied Spanish guitar for about 12 years (some flamenco...lot of right hand technique fingerpicking), and I dabble in acoustic blues guitar. I only do this as a hobby, however, I do gigs for weddings, parties, and just hanging with friends. But, I have played guitar for many, many years. I started music playing the alto sax, but that is only good for so long. Right now I'm trying to learn as many riffs/licks in the key of E for some blues lead.

One time I was playing for some folks and they told me that I should be on the radio! I said, "Really, thanks, man"! Then they said, "Yeah, that way we could turn it off"!!

:confused:

:D (bastids)...

Finger picking is a blast. I'm an ok guitarist...but I can finger pick. And it's pretty wild. If I go to the Guitar Center, there are all of these monster guitar players running off riffs I could never dream of playing...I'll sit down and start to finger pick and the entire place goes silent. :p:

Alto is a GREAT instrument. Do you still play it?

If you haven't heard Tommy Emmanuel...scoot over to Youtube to check him out. You'll love the way he plays.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Not really my bag of music, but I love the acoustic stuff! Are you using all steel string guitars? It sounds like it on your G-B-E strings, but such a subtle touch on some of your phrasing that it sounds a little like a nylon string guitar. Then, you'll pop one of those notes and it's un-mistakenly a steel string. Fantastic touch and use of dynamics!

Are you using live drums or a program? I only ask because the drum mix and set sound exactly the same in each song. Could be the same kit in the same room with the same drummer. Not sure. They just seem to lack any touch or dynamic. VERY different from the guitar playing. The guitar playing is very dynamic.

Also, are you using a live amp or a sim for your overdriven tones? Some of it sounds smooth and organic while others sound really processed. I hate to be a PITA but I'm trying to figure out this whole recording thing, myself.
Thanks for any help.

Oh and BTW, GREAT PLAYING.;)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
skinsscalper;3285358 said:
Not really my bag of music, but I love the acoustic stuff! Are you using all steel string guitars? It sounds like it on your G-B-E strings, but such a subtle touch on some of your phrasing that it sounds a little like a nylon string guitar. Then, you'll pop one of those notes and it's un-mistakenly a steel string. Fantastic touch and use of dynamics!

Are you using live drums or a program? I only ask because the drum mix and set sound exactly the same in each song. Could be the same kit in the same room with the same drummer. Not sure. They just seem to lack any touch or dynamic. VERY different from the guitar playing. The guitar playing is very dynamic.

Also, are you using a live amp or a sim for your overdriven tones? Some of it sounds smooth and organic while others sound really processed. I hate to be a PITA but I'm trying to figure out this whole recording thing, myself.
Thanks for any help.

Oh and BTW, GREAT PLAYING.;)

Hey...thank you VERY much for the kind words.

The guitars are a mix...I have 18...two are nylon (one acoustic and one Godin electric nylon) As far as the dynamics, on the solo acoustic stuff, that's the trick..getting the melody to stand out on the high strings while bass and mids are still played...it's all finger picking...I'm pretty ok at it but I still have a way to go.

Drums. Mixed bag. But no, no programmed drums. Those sound dreadfully uh, programmed. I do like the drums to sound somewhat consistent from song to song. I like BIG drums that kick ya in the chops.

Most of the electric guitars are played direct with the amp added afterwards. Problem with recording from an amp, unless you're in a big time studio, is that once the sound is recorded, ya can't change it. So, I'll either play through the amp but perfectly clean and then add the effects later, or plug in direct and do it. I use "Amplitube" It has around 50 amps to choose from....you can set mic distance, etc etc.

One thing to remember also, on the internet, you're hearing a lower quality than on the actual CD because those files would be way to big for my website. The smaller files tend to lose some of the "richness" of the tone.

And again, thanks.

If you ever have any questions about recording, feel free to ask. I am using Sony Acid for all of the stuff on this CD.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Juke99;3285750 said:
Hey...thank you VERY much for the kind words.

The guitars are a mix...I have 18...two are nylon (one acoustic and one Godin electric nylon) As far as the dynamics, on the solo acoustic stuff, that's the trick..getting the melody to stand out on the high strings while bass and mids are still played...it's all finger picking...I'm pretty ok at it but I still have a way to go.

Drums. Mixed bag. But no, no programmed drums. Those sound dreadfully uh, programmed. I do like the drums to sound somewhat consistent from song to song. I like BIG drums that kick ya in the chops.

Most of the electric guitars are played direct with the amp added afterwards. Problem with recording from an amp, unless you're in a big time studio, is that once the sound is recorded, ya can't change it. So, I'll either play through the amp but perfectly clean and then add the effects later, or plug in direct and do it. I use "Amplitube" It has around 50 amps to choose from....you can set mic distance, etc etc.

One thing to remember also, on the internet, you're hearing a lower quality than on the actual CD because those files would be way to big for my website. The smaller files tend to lose some of the "richness" of the tone.

And again, thanks.

If you ever have any questions about recording, feel free to ask. I am using Sony Acid for all of the stuff on this CD.

Cool thanks for the heads up. I wish, at this point I would have went with a decent interface and gotten a good guitar plug in (like Amplitube). I opted for the POD UX2 with POD Farm and I find it sorely lacking in every department BUT the overdriven tones. I just can't find anything that "feels" right in the cleaner ranges. There's a lot of Fender and Vox based amps in the sim but none of them really seem to nail it. I know that it never WILL nail the true tone of those amps because it's all generated, and you just won't "feel" the tone, but I hoped to find something more inspiring in the cleans without buying add-on after add-on. Especially on the cleaner stuff. Tones that I'm trying to get are the ones where you play the amp rather than the guitar itself as opposed to the overdriven (especially way overdriven) set-ups. I just can't get that feel dynamic with the PC sims, unfortunately and I don't have the bones to throw at the real deal.

I may just bite the bullet and pick up an Axe-FX Ultra and just forget about purchasing another luxury item for the rest of my life.

:bang2:

(Just kiddin, about not buying anything again, but damn those things are expensive).

Thanks for the advice, Juke. Don't be surprised if I pm ya once in a while for some tips and tricks.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
skinsscalper;3285844 said:
Cool thanks for the heads up. I wish, at this point I would have went with a decent interface and gotten a good guitar plug in (like Amplitube). I opted for the POD UX2 with POD Farm and I find it sorely lacking in every department BUT the overdriven tones. I just can't find anything that "feels" right in the cleaner ranges. There's a lot of Fender and Vox based amps in the sim but none of them really seem to nail it. I know that it never WILL nail the true tone of those amps because it's all generated, and you just won't "feel" the tone, but I hoped to find something more inspiring in the cleans without buying add-on after add-on. Especially on the cleaner stuff. Tones that I'm trying to get are the ones where you play the amp rather than the guitar itself as opposed to the overdriven (especially way overdriven) set-ups. I just can't get that feel dynamic with the PC sims, unfortunately and I don't have the bones to throw at the real deal.

I may just bite the bullet and pick up an Axe-FX Ultra and just forget about purchasing another luxury item for the rest of my life.

:bang2:

(Just kiddin, about not buying anything again, but damn those things are expensive).

Thanks for the advice, Juke. Don't be surprised if I pm ya once in a while for some tips and tricks.

I owned a POD rack unit...not bad...but not great either. The new Amplitube is much better. I've always felt that POD was good for live stuff but not really for recording.

As far as playing the amp, you'd be surprised at how quickly you'd learn to do that with Amplitube. Fact is, I plug in direct with my guitar and add the amp effects later...that way I have the flexibility of mic placement, amp types, stomps, etc. and I know how they'll react based on how I played.

And yep, email me any time.

Thanks

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Nav22;3291380 said:
"Hangman" kicks major ***.

Hey Nav...thanks!

The CD needed a song with that kind of edge to it...

Thanks again.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Juke99;3292251 said:
Hey Nav...thanks!

The CD needed a song with that kind of edge to it...

Thanks again.

For all you players out there...to play like Juke100?

Practrice with a metronome....and use your ears. Then let your heart come out...and play.

;)

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
WOW! Awesome work Juke.

Hope things work out for you.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
5Stars;3292331 said:
For all you players out there...to play like Juke100?

Practrice with a metronome....and use your ears. Then let your heart come out...and play.

;)

Metronome practice is a real killer. I agree fully though.

My metronomes are always broken though..they slow down, they speed up... etc. ;) :D

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Hey Juke -is that song that won the contest over 500 other songs on the cd

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Juke99;3338036 said:
Hi..Yep, Wanderings...

Actually --just a subtle way of bringing out your skills again and more importantly -bumping this back to the top where it belongs----if you don't sell -how you going to pay me back :D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
justbob;3339700 said:
Actually --just a subtle way of bringing out your skills again and more importantly -bumping this back to the top where it belongs----if you don't sell -how you going to pay me back :D

ah...thank you.

You should never waste being subtle on the dimwitted like me (and Yeager) I had no idea that what you were doing. :)