CFZ My commitment: Forget the sales pitch. I will believe it when it happens

Big_D

Reaction score
Haven't "quite" put together a complete team.. well I have been paying attention and they haven't even been close.

Of course fans want the glory days back.. you don't?

I would hope on the 29th attempt they might have learnt a few things.. hell, I would be happy with run/stop the run.. I don't think that is too much to ask.
It’s not really about the glory days or winning Super Bowls or bust, it’s about the front office doing everything they can to win playoff games. At least look like you care and are making the attempt. Every year just looks like a pathetic standstill while you watch other teams extremely active trying to make upgrades. It’s gotten way past a point that they just have zero respect for their own players or the fans or else there would’ve been changes a long time ago.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm sorry but anyone who continues to attend Dallas games, purchase Dallas merchandise, or pay for Dallas online content is irredeemably ignorant. They deserve every poisionous ounce of snake oil a 81 year old low football I.Q. geriatric GM is selling them.
Purchase only knockoffs for now. My new knockoff jersey has "Lanb" on it but I don't mind. I consider it a conversation starter

starfan1

Reaction score
Haven't "quite" put together a complete team.. well I have been paying attention and they haven't even been close.

Of course fans want the glory days back.. you don't?

I would hope on the 29th attempt they might have learnt a few things.. hell, I would be happy with run/stop the run.. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Pretty much my point he’s either incapable or unwilling I’m not sure which one

All the whining is for naught it’s not gonna change

starfan1

Reaction score
Good point.. but how depressing is that..

No whining isn't going to change anything.. its good to vent sometimes tho ;)
lol this place has been nonstop venting since the packer game and whining here isn’t gonna change anything

But I guess some need more time

plasticman

Reaction score
What bothers me the most is that Jerry Jones isn't just the owner, he is the GM. Furthermore, he is using his GM position to imply that he is a football expert and so we should believe him. He is actually marketing the Cowboys from his position as GM and not owner because he realizes he gets more media coverage that way.

To me, this is a conflict of interest. We are constantly getting the "State of the Cowboys" speeches from the guy who sells the tickets. We aren't exactly getting the brutal honesty that you would hear from the coaches.

We don't even get the honest evaluations of the injury reports. The statement, "We expect him to play" is absolutely meaningless and we should just assume that "questionable" means he is not going to play. Occasionally, we might get lucky.

There is also the Saturday afternoon surprise injuries that pop up once in a while. I suspect that these injuries were sometimes discovered earlier and reported when it became obvious the player could not improve in time.

In any case, you can assume that all information given out by the Jones attempts to minimize any impact on ticket sales and merchandising.

Another thing that you can absolutely be sure of is this:

The more the Jones's talk up the skill and talents of their players and the team in general, the more you should be alarmed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What bothers me the most is that Jerry Jones isn't just the owner, he is the GM. Furthermore, he is using his GM position to imply that he is a football expert and so we should believe him. He is actually marketing the Cowboys from his position as GM and not owner because he realizes he gets more media coverage that way.

To me, this is a conflict of interest. We are constantly getting the "State of the Cowboys" speeches from the guy who sells the tickets. We aren't exactly getting the brutal honesty that you would hear from the coaches.

We don't even get the honest evaluations of the injury reports. The statement, "We expect him to play" is absolutely meaningless and we should just assume that "questionable" means he is not going to play. Occasionally, we might get lucky.

There is also the Saturday afternoon surprise injuries that pop up once in a while. I suspect that these injuries were sometimes discovered earlier and reported when it became obvious the player could not improve in time.

In any case, you can assume that all information given out by the Jones attempts to minimize any impact on ticket sales and merchandising.

Another thing that you can absolutely be sure of is this:

The more the Jones's talk up the skill and talents of their players and the team in general, the more you should be alarmed.
This brought back the incredibly over-rated evaluation GM Jerry gave about QB Brandon Weeden after we acquired him in 2015.

Jerry famously gushed that he had the prettiest spiral ever. His exact quote was: ”He's a thing of beauty on throwing a football. His passing motion and his arm, frankly, you won't see a more gifted passer, power, accuracy, the entire aspect of it.“ …..Spoken like a gushing fan-boy, not an NFL GM.

This of course was said right after Tony Romo had gone down with a collarbone injury and Jerry wanted to keep interest up that the team was in good hands with Weeden. Once again over selling and under-delivering.

LysleE

Reaction score
I think history shows us that Jerry has a penchant for hyperbole…he makes these grandiose statements to keep the Cowboys relevant, which he has done over these past 28 years of underwhelming mediocrity…a masterful job of marketing when one thinks about it.
I believe that the Cowboys are merely a hobby for Jerry; he loves being able to say he is the owner of the world’s most valuable sports franchise and manages the Cowboys with that goal in mind. Success on the football field is an ancillary benefit.
I believe that early success came as a result of Jimmy coming on-board to subsequently build and coach the team to multiple Super Bowls. Jerry was not given the lions share of credit for their success, so he fired Jimmy…and with the exception of Parcells, has not hired a HC capable of eclipsing him.
The only way to get to Jerry is to quit buying merchandise, attending games; have the online pundits and media quit quoting Jerry and running with every cliche that comes from his mouth. The Cowboys absence from the national sports landscape is what Jerry fears the most…not competing in the playoffs or contending for a Super Bowl.
I’ve been a fan of the Cowboys for over 40 years…thru the dark days of Dave Campo, Chan Gailey, Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett; the glory days with Jimmy Johnson and now with Mike McCarthy.
I don’t abandon my alliance to this team because I always think this year will be the year…I imagine a lot of us do this, but it is getting more difficult to back this team given its complacency and being eclipsed by teams that were once NFL doormats and now competing in the playoffs.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I'm sorry but anyone who continues to attend Dallas games, purchase Dallas merchandise, or pay for Dallas online content is irredeemably ignorant. They deserve every poisionous ounce of snake oil a 81 year old low football I.Q. geriatric GM is selling them.
You forget how prominent Stephen Jones is in this dysfunctional mix.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If you think the "stars" of this team crave the intense competition of playoff football you are dreaming. We have a team that is built to compile stats and enjoy the regular season. If that is your thing then enjoy.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Here’s a not so bold prediction that will happen at the conclusion of the NFL draft next weekend: The Jones front office will sell this upcoming draft class as hard as any in recent history. They know their early exit from the playoffs last year coupled with the almost complete inactivity in free agency has left even the staunchest of Cowboys fans disgruntled and disheartened.

Yeah, the most embarrassing playoff loss in Cowboys history last January left a stink not easily washed out of the Star in one off-season. Not to mention 28 years of embarrassing playoff underachievement. I’m expecting a Jones sales pitch so intense PT Barnum will rise from the grave just to say, “Wow”.

Maybe we will get lucky and have a home run draft. Time will tell. I hope so. But the hard sales pitch is coming regardless. “Step right up folks.“

But most Cowboys fans know by now that the Jones boys’ off-season strategy every year centers more on marketing than it does actual strategic roster building. Honestly if Jerry drafted a one legged RB from Nowhere University he would sell that kid as the next coming of Emmitt Smith and for jersey sales purposes mandate #22 be worn to complete the marketing pitch.

With all the above in mind, here’s my off-season commitment:
  • I will believe results when they happen. Not before.
  • I will NOT buy the sales pitch that is coming. Period. If this team goes 16-1, I won’t “believe” anything until they win multiple playoff games.
  • If the Cowboys turn it around this year and win multiple playoff games for the first time in 3 decades, I will be thrilled. But I will believe it when it happens.
Trust me, a huge sales and marketing roll out is coming. We will be expected to trust in the same guys who gave us the last 28 years. They continue to expect this fan base to believe they know what they’re doing by doing it “their way”. The results speak otherwise.

Did I mention I will believe it when it happens?
Right there with you and have been for a long time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s not really about the glory days or winning Super Bowls or bust, it’s about the front office doing everything they can to win playoff games. At least look like you care and are making the attempt. Every year just looks like a pathetic standstill while you watch other teams extremely active trying to make upgrades. It’s gotten way past a point that they just have zero respect for their own players or the fans or else there would’ve been changes a long time ago.
To our owners credit they’ve haven’t been forced to make changes.

When you’re #1 in Revenue, the most popular and watched team with largest crowds , if we are dissatisfied we are sending them the wrong message.

Cowboy fans certainly have an odd way of showing their displeasure in the product these bozos are providing.

Sandyf

Reaction score
One of the best threads I have seen in which everyone gets to vent about what is wrong with the Cowboys be it Dak or Jerry or salary cap or whatever is causing smoke coming out of their brains. It makes for interesting reading with many, many valid points along with the head scratchier items.

I have been a fan since 1960 at 9 years old. I have seen the ups and downs. I have felt the pain especially being in Vietnam in the 1970s where we sometimes didn't know what the final score of any game was for days even weeks depending where we were. I have seen the Eddie LeBarons, Steve Pelleurs, Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and Matt Cassel always struggles as well as the Craig Morton, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, Tony Romo, and Dak Prescott give us winning season and playoff wins as well as 5 Super Bowl wins. This is to say that I have ridden the roller coaster every year.

This year is the first year where I just am frustrated over the lack of direction and the seeming lack of football caring ever within the organization. We all know Jerry is a great business man or else the Cowboys wouldn't be the most expensive franchise in all of sports and we know he craves the attention be it good or bad because it sells. But normally we have some clue as to what they are going to do. Definitely not this year though, as even the draft could be a total surprise. We have the doomsayer media doing their part as well as the on the payroll for Jerry media trying to spin the greatness of the backups on the roster.

I would like to see this team make a decent playoff run even a Super Bowl before my time comes to an end but that might never happen until the Jones sell the team. I will still support them and hope they win every game and will watch them but I cannot do what I have done in past years like going to several games, buying merch, and supporting their other endeavors until I know they are at least trying to be a competitive game both in the regular season and playoffs.

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised on Thursday to see either Dak or CeeDee or Micah traded or heck all three. There are 31 other teams out there that all seem to be making football moves and not necessarily business moves, but Jerry is really doing neither.

End rant!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
One of the best threads I have seen in which everyone gets to vent about what is wrong with the Cowboys be it Dak or Jerry or salary cap or whatever is causing smoke coming out of their brains. It makes for interesting reading with many, many valid points along with the head scratchier items.

I have been a fan since 1960 at 9 years old. I have seen the ups and downs. I have felt the pain especially being in Vietnam in the 1970s where we sometimes didn't know what the final score of any game was for days even weeks depending where we were. I have seen the Eddie LeBarons, Steve Pelleurs, Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, and Matt Cassel always struggles as well as the Craig Morton, Danny White, Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, Tony Romo, and Dak Prescott give us winning season and playoff wins as well as 5 Super Bowl wins. This is to say that I have ridden the roller coaster every year.

This year is the first year where I just am frustrated over the lack of direction and the seeming lack of football caring ever within the organization. We all know Jerry is a great business man or else the Cowboys wouldn't be the most expensive franchise in all of sports and we know he craves the attention be it good or bad because it sells. But normally we have some clue as to what they are going to do. Definitely not this year though, as even the draft could be a total surprise. We have the doomsayer media doing their part as well as the on the payroll for Jerry media trying to spin the greatness of the backups on the roster.

I would like to see this team make a decent playoff run even a Super Bowl before my time comes to an end but that might never happen until the Jones sell the team. I will still support them and hope they win every game and will watch them but I cannot do what I have done in past years like going to several games, buying merch, and supporting their other endeavors until I know they are at least trying to be a competitive game both in the regular season and playoffs.

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised on Thursday to see either Dak or CeeDee or Micah traded or heck all three. There are 31 other teams out there that all seem to be making football moves and not necessarily business moves, but Jerry is really doing neither.

End rant!!
Good stuff..Nice to hear from a fan older than me.
Deleted

Diehardblues

Reaction score

End rant!!
Good stuff!! Nice to hear from another older fan.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
the Jones boys’ off-season strategy every year centers more on marketing than it does actual strategic roster building.
That phrase pretty sums up Jerry Jones as GM, it's all about the packaging of the product instead of the quality of the product.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It won’t prevent him from continuing. And the first big win, winning streak or fast start the hype will amp up again.

Many fans are eternal optimist much like Jethro and want to believe. They are prime targets looking for any sign of hope.
Sadly, you are most likely correct....

TheCritic

Reaction score
What's most sad to me it doesn't really how well the Cowboys draft. The environment is toxic enough to prevent the Cowboys from ever winning big or when it matters most. And as much as I blame Jerry, I really can't stand ol' Cap Ferry Stephen Jones. Worthless!!!