My Contract offer to Dak if I were GM

plymkr

Reaction score
That’s not really a great argument for moving on from Dak.
I agree that’s not a good argument to move on from Dak. My point is being afraid of change and using Carter, Hutch, et al as an example of what could be is not a great argument to keep Dak.

We don’t know what life without Dak will be like. But we do know what life with Dak is like. Poor playoff performances. We could get a decade of Carters and Bledsoes or we could strike gold. But we know what Dak is and he’s not gold. So for me I’d rather gamble on the unknown than gamble on the known product suddenly getting it together in the playoffs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
4 year $180 million. Same as Cousins but I would Guarantee $100 while Cousins gets $90 Guaranteed.
That's a $5 Million per year raise from his previous Contract, 4 years $160 Million.
But I would add incentives to reach $50 Million:
$1 Million for Division Playoff Win
$2 Million for NFC Championship Win
$2 Million for Super Bowl Win

He has 2 Wild Card Playoff wins during his last contract.
A $5 Million per year raise for fairly mediocre results is more than reasonable.
If he looks a that as an insult, then I would let him play out the last year of his deal and deal with the consequences.
Why would you make an offer to just get laughed at?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Trust me, you can have the opinion that Dak is a "lousy QB" but NFL personnel that have spent most of their lives evaluating players and are paid millions of dollars to have opinions on this very topic, very much disagree with you. If you're okay sounding ridiculous, go right ahead!
You mean those same experts who are proven wrong every year when they are proclaiming that they know who the next big star is going to be? Let's face it, Dak Prescott has been carried to this point by an organization that basically build a decent enough team around him. Had this guy been on a bottom feeder team he'd be either out of the league or playing backup in the XFL by now.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not completely true...The cap hit sticks with Dallas and they can move that around. Dak's guaranteed money is all paid though. Jerry could cut him and not pay another dollar to Dak.
And Dak would get paid from another team, while GM Jethro is still paying for Dak.

Havic

Reaction score
Daks value is 30-35m / season imo. I’d rather start over.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You are assuming that
1. That any QB that is going to be picked after Dak is somehow going to be Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, Ryan Leaf etc. Yet somehow the Cowboys have picked Tony Romo and Dak Prescott. This same franchise had at one point in time Troy Aikman, Danny White and Roger Staubach as QB. But somehow we dare not replace Dak because we might fail.
2. Every year franchises jettison non performant QB's and make no mistake Dak Prescott is a non performant QB regardless of how much of a sales job you want to do with his MVP claims (dude got 1 vote). Like telling me that a Toyota Tercel is the same as a McClaren P1.
Do we really need to make a list of QB's after Aikman?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Do we really need to make a list of QB's after Aikman?
Go right ahead. But remember - the team you claim can't pick a QB somehow picked your dear lord and savior Dak Prescott. How the hell did that happen or are we to continue buying into this fantasy that the last servicable QB that ever came out in the Draft was Dak Prescott and that there are no QB's that have had success after Dak Prescott was drafted. Yep, that's it, they stopped producing QB's after Dak Prescott, they broke the mold after they produced the mediocrity that is Dak Prescott.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Did you see how fast he picked up Lance?
Didn't even tell a soul..............And these Dak-Bots hate that move with a passion.
Fun times again at the CZ!!!!
Did you ever think the reason Jerry told no one was because no one other than GM Jethro was interested?

It was not a secret that Trance was being shopped. No one on Cowboys staff was running to GM Jethro, asking to sign Trance.

So GM Jethro did it by himself.

The best GM's in the business make all their decisions by themselves. Everyone knows that.

Jimcz

Reaction score
4 year $180 million. Same as Cousins but I would Guarantee $100 while Cousins gets $90 Guaranteed.
That's a $5 Million per year raise from his previous Contract, 4 years $160 Million.
But I would add incentives to reach $50 Million:
$1 Million for Division Playoff Win
$2 Million for NFC Championship Win
$2 Million for Super Bowl Win

He has 2 Wild Card Playoff wins during his last contract.
A $5 Million per year raise for fairly mediocre results is more than reasonable.
If he looks a that as an insult, then I would let him play out the last year of his deal and deal with the consequences.
If you pay him 100M or 5M, he still can't win in the playoffs so what's the point? He had enough chances with good players! Every year it's different faces same outcome..

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
My contract offer to Dak

Me: Dak- you killed it last season. You deserve to be the highest paid player in nfl history. You ready to make that happen

Dak: yessir! That’s exactly what I’m looking for

Me: great, we are on the same page the as far as what type of money you are looking for. Not that we have that out of the way, let’s look for a team that is willing to pay you that type of money because it won’t be here. Provide me a list of your preferred options please.
You were so predictable on this post but it was funny as hell lol l lol

Reactions: JBS

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What card does he hold? I'm just curious since we keep hearing this ad nauseum about Dak holding all the cards? What exactly are we losing without him?
POST OF THE DAY I don't get this claim either! He can want whatever he wants he doesn't have to get anything, he can sit out, they can fine him

Sandyf

Reaction score
Those that hate Dak will never ever see things differently. Dak took over for Romo and Moore and went like 13-3. Team was built for him then but hay just a fact.

I would love to find a Mahomes but that's a fool's dream. Would rather ride with Dak and be 12-5 every year than 5-12 and hoping we hit on a QB.

Jerry isn't going to tear it down and rebuild because that is losing money. You probably don't like Dak but the fact is he wins and unless there is something they aren't telling us about Trey Lance then they are riding with Dak and most likely at a price that many on the board will not like.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
POST OF THE DAY I don't get this claim either! He can want whatever he wants he doesn't have to get anything, he can sit out, they can fine him
What? why would Dak sit out..they could bench him but not fine him...lol he is getting paid he isnt negotiating this years contract. Dak holds all the cards because Dumb and Dumber have messed up all their contract dealings for years ESPECIALLY Dak's...what are they threatening Dak with "Sign this or we will let you go to free agency and get bid on by multiple teams!" Dak be like "Oooh no dont do that..please"

jujoboys

Reaction score
I agree that’s not a good argument to move on from Dak. My point is being afraid of change and using Carter, Hutch, et al as an example of what could be is not a great argument to keep Dak.

We don’t know what life without Dak will be like. But we do know what life with Dak is like. Poor playoff performances. We could get a decade of Carters and Bledsoes or we could strike gold. But we know what Dak is and he’s not gold. So for me I’d rather gamble on the unknown than gamble on the known product suddenly getting it together in the playoffs.
I agree. But what if it is not all Dak. He had Jason Garrett as a HC for over half his career. How many QBs do you think would be successful in a postseason with Garrett as the HC? He helped ruin Romo’s career. I think we may have gotten a Super Bowl if Parcells stayed 1 more year. Maybe it is Mike McCarthy? He was only able to win one Super Bowl with ARod.

I agree it is time to move on from Dak because he won’t give a discount. There is no way we should pay him what the market will command. I wish we would just go ahead and trade him but Jerry will play this stupidly and let him walk via free agency where we get a stupid 3rd round comp pick in 2026 or sign him to a stupid contract.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you ever think the reason Jerry told no one was because no one other than GM Jethro was interested?

It was not a secret that Trance was being shopped. No one on Cowboys staff was running to GM Jethro, asking to sign Trance.

So GM Jethro did it by himself.

The best GM's in the business make all their decisions by themselves. Everyone knows that.
You describe Jerry as one of the BEST GMs in the business and Dak as a top 10 QB.
If there anything else we need to debate about....................I don't think so bud..........GL
P.S. :muttley: Jerry and Dak top of their game........Niners and GB thank them dearly!!!!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I clicked on this thread to write "Cousins deal", so I guess I'm on the same page as OP.

Maybe Dak could get a few extra dollars given his younger age and no blown Achilles. $45M/yr to $50M/yr would pry be the negotiating zone.