My Contract offer to Dak if I were GM

Dorsett33

Reaction score
it makes perfect sense.

The conditions surrounding Dak right now would require him to be the first QB ever under his conditions (4th rounder, 9 years in on the team that drafted him, over 30 years old, and taking up the majority of the cap) to win a Super Bowl.

It is astronomically more likely that the Cowboys move on and win a Super Bowl without Dak than it is for Dak to ever win a Super Bowl with the Cowboys.
Ok....Dak's been there what....8 years? We haven't won a SB since '95? Soooo....how do you think Dak factor in us not winning a SB and we would be closer if we didn't have him? 8 years of Dak puts us at 2016. 21 years before Dak we haven't won a SB. I'm trying to find your logic here. It's not Dak. Mahones signed a huge contract and they get the pieces around him to win...from coaches on down. The cap is just bs. Teams can get who they want. We see other top teams do it all the time (ie...Eagles). So, I'm not believing that about the cap. On top of that, the cap goes up every year.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Go back and look at the amount of points Andy Dalton put up against bad teams with a way worse OL in 2020 to end the season...
Listen....this is not college where you choose who you play. Go back and look at the numbers Dak has put up since being in the league. And he's played every team in the NFL. And did Dalton win a SB? No....no o-line. So...maybe it wasn't Any Dalton's fault. It takes a complete team. You can have the best QB in the world but if you can't stop the run, you can't protect your QB and you have no running game.....you won't win....period

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Ok....Dak's been there what....8 years? We haven't won a SB since '95? Soooo....how do you think Dak factor in us not winning a SB and we would be closer if we didn't have him? 8 years of Dak puts us at 2016. 21 years before Dak we haven't won a SB. I'm trying to find your logic here. It's not Dak. Mahones signed a huge contract and they get the pieces around him to win...from coaches on down. The cap is just bs. Teams can get who they want. We see other top teams do it all the time (ie...Eagles). So, I'm not believing that about the cap. On top of that, the cap goes up every year.
What pieces do you believe Dak needs?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
your trying to fit what you feel about Dak into how they should negotiate it..what im saying is THEY were sold on Dak as the Franchise QB, regardless of whether he is/was or isnt/wasn't...they played chicken with the QB they wanted to be thier franchise QB..gave them selves no option B's and found out the hard way that is not how to negotiate with the QB you want as your Franchise QB..again this has nothing to do with wether we view Dak as good or bad and what he "Should" take...the Jones WERE ALWAYS going to pay him, if they would've paid him in 2019 then yeah his contract terms would've been WAY better at near 40..true or false? again this has nothign to do with how anyone but the Jones feel about Dak in 2019...and yes the same reports from "Insiders" that talk about 2020 also talked about 2019 AND Stephen was on record saying both "We want Dak Prescott signed long term AND it will be no where near 40 mill" both are bad negotiating startegies if your sold on signing this QB..
My feelings about Dak have nothing to do with the information I'm relating here.

I'm still stuck on how offering a best in the league contract is not trying to sign him in good faith, and how is it "playing chicken"?

I never said the Jones were good at this. My input was in answer to a comparison of Dak and Hurts, which is a bad comparison.

The bottom line is Dak was offered a league leading deal and he turned it down because he wanted four years instead of five, and now here we are, because the Jone's caved. Meanwhile, Hurts took a longer deal with a much smaller signing bonus and there they are.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I'd just give him half a billion and call it a day, because he's dak good, just not at football. *thumps chest, licks fingers and point over yonder*

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
My feelings about Dak have nothing to do with the information I'm relating here.

I'm still stuck on how offering a best in the league contract is not trying to sign him in good faith, and how is it "playing chicken"?

I never said the Jones were good at this. My input was in answer to a comparison of Dak and Hurts, which is a bad comparison.

The bottom line is Dak was offered a league leading deal and he turned it down because he wanted four years instead of five, and now here we are, because the Jone's caved. Meanwhile, Hurts took a longer deal with a much smaller signing bonus and there they are.
Hurts got the deal he wanted without having to go through tags and such ..thats my point Dak would've have done that in 2019 had the Jones not gone to the media and played chicken with the QB THEY wanted..."How is that playing chicken?" because Dak's agent knew the deals comming down the pipline for QB's just like Hurts agent...The Eagles wanted Hurts so they didnt go to the media and start negotiating through them..they wanted the QB so they extended him as soon as they could for the least he would take..thats what you do if your sold on your franchise QB...

If the "League leading" offer was your top line then you get a plan B at QB and trade him because you dont feel he is worth it...you dont battle it out in the media then give in 2 years later because you were always going to sign him.

LittleD

Reaction score
Okay, so he is guaranteed money and they can't trade him. So at worse, they let him play out the year and tell him to hit the road and go see if someone is dumb enough to make him the highest paid player in the league.
What's worse about it is if he does leave, we still have over 30million dead money to account for on the cap. Along with the other dead money deals we won't be shopping for any top flight talent next season either.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I highly suggest Mavs not extend Luka if he hasnt won by next contract.

Max contract...for a loser?

He l l to the nah

khiladi

Reaction score
Listen....this is not college where you choose who you play. Go back and look at the numbers Dak has put up since being in the league. And he's played every team in the NFL. And did Dalton win a SB? No....no o-line. So...maybe it wasn't Any Dalton's fault. It takes a complete team. You can have the best QB in the world but if you can't stop the run, you can't protect your QB and you have no running game.....you won't win....period
So Dallas didn't have the top ranked scoring defense, as well as lead leader in TOs 2 of the last 4 years? Dallas didn't have the best 1-2 RB punch in the league in Pollard and Zeke during that time, both backs averaging for large parts of the season, over 5 YPC? Did Dak walk into an expansion team?

Again, how many points did Dalton put up against bad teams during 2020 when he was here? WAs he getting paid 40 million and was commanding elite money? Cooper Rushis 5-1 with the same roster Dak was working with..

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
LOL Why?
Couldn't win when he had an awesome team with his rookie deal.?????????????????????
Offer NOTHING!!!!!
The sooner he leaves the faster we are headed to the SUPERBOWL!!!!
What did this team do to help the qb? Your seriously gonna blame the Qb for the front office ineptitude?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
He needs an o-line. He needs a RB. He needs an interior defense. He needs coaches that can make adjustments at the half.
I don’t think he’s ever gonna have an O-Line like he’s had the last 8 years. Theres constantly 2 first team all-pros on it and in 2016 had 3 first team all pros.

Zeke won 2 rushing titles while he was here.

I just don’t see it getting better than what he’s already had in those areas.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What's worse about it is if he does leave, we still have over 30million dead money to account for on the cap. Along with the other dead money deals we won't be shopping for any top flight talent next season either.
this... its criminal how they worked this over the years....they basically now have to extend him or let him walk and get nothing in return but a big cap hit..inept doesn't touch how this FO has worked this roster...

Jkyle

Reaction score
Dak my have leverage against the Cowboys salary cap wise but he has no leverage with the Fanbase.
4 year $180 million. Same as Cousins but I would Guarantee $100 while Cousins gets $90 Guaranteed.
That's a $5 Million per year raise from his previous Contract, 4 years $160 Million.
But I would add incentives to reach $50 Million:
$1 Million for Division Playoff Win
$2 Million for NFC Championship Win
$2 Million for Super Bowl Win

He has 2 Wild Card Playoff wins during his last contract.
A $5 Million per year raise for fairly mediocre results is more than reasonable.
If he looks a that as an insult, then I would let him play out the last year of his deal and deal with the consequences.
Dak my have leverage against the Cowboys salary cap wise but he has no leverage with the Fanbase.
If he were to turn down such an offer, he may have a legit complaint about it being too low for the current salary cap environment and compared to other top 10 QB's, but this fanbase will be furious if he were to get a +$50 million per year contract.
If he were to take a $100 Million Guaranteed, that would mean he made over $250 Million, a quarter Billion Dollars! from the Cowboys.
If he looks that as an insult or disrespect, then he can go elsewhere at the end of the season.
The way this team is looking so far, we will be lucky to win the Division or make the playoffs. If that happens, then he will get a way lesser deal from other teams. No NFL fanbase would be happy paying Dak top money.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Better playoff game planning is what is lacking.

QB Market is frustrating but its hard to not do what all these GM's are doing when you want to win, need a serviceable QB and the cap constantly going up.

This QB conversation is so dated. Its the same thing...every day on this board with this subject. Cherry picking stats that contradict other things. Moving goal posts. Unreasonable expectations. Using team stats to define a single player.

I dont get it.

Redline360

Reaction score
Biggest mistake the cowboys made was giving Prescott the nod in 2016. Was argurably the best chance we had to win a superbowl. Granted that is if Romo stayed healthy and the team was likely Daks anyways in 2017.

Dak has had premier OLs, premier running game, multiple 1k recievers, above average TEs, vastly improved defenses bar shutting down the run, top ranked scoring defenses. Sometimes a combination of multiple of these things each year

Most quarterbacks would kill to have been surronded by that much talent.

LittleD

Reaction score
this... its criminal how they worked this over the years....they basically now have to extend him or let him walk and get nothing in return but a big cap hit..inept doesn't touch how this FO has worked this roster...
We will get something back if Dak leaves... We will most likely get a 3rd comp pick in 2026.