35. Denzel Perryman ILB Miami

36. Dorial Green-Beckham WR Oklahoma
37. Preston Smith DE Mississippi St.
38. A.J. Cann G South Carolina
39. Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
40. Jalen Collins CB LSU

41. Ameer Abdullah RB Nebraska
42. Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA
43. Benardrick McKinney ILB Mississippi St.
44. Carl Davis DT Iowa
45. Tevin Coleman RB Indiana

46. Tre Jackson G Florida St.
47. D.J. Humphries T Florida
48. Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA
49. Shaq Thompson OLB Washington
50. Devin Smith WR Ohio St.

Just Missed - Hau'oli Kikaha OLB Washington, Michael Bennett DT Ohio St., Jake Fisher T Oregon, Trey Flowers DE Arkansas, Laken Tomlinson G Duke, Eric Rowe CB Utah.

-

Pet Cats
Amari Cooper WR Alabama
Todd Gurley RB Georgia
Danny Shelton DT Washington
Brandon Sherff T Iowa
La'el Collins T LSU
Eli Harold OLB Virginia
Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson
Phillip Dorsett WR Miami
Ronald Darby CB Florida St.
Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
Za'Darius Smith DE Kentucky
Kwon Alexander OLB LSU
Lorenzo Mauldin OLB Louisville
Duke Johnson RB Miami
Anthony Chickillo DE Miami
Jeremy Langford RB Michigan St.
Charles Gaines CB Georgia
Jaquiski Tartt S Samford
Rob Havenstein T Wisconsin
Senquez Golson CB Mississippi
Antoine Everett G McNeese St.
JaCorey Shepherd CB Kansas
Corey Robinson T South Carolina

-

Mock Draft
Once again I made several trades for various picks then traded those picks for my original selections.

1(27) Eli Harold OLB Virginia - Played in a 3-4 but was most productive as a down DE. We selected Travis Frederick as the "last of the Mohicans" of blue chip offensive linemen prospects in 2013. I envision Harold to be that this year for edge rushers. There are probably other options for this pick to get more production year one but none, IMO, have the potential pay off down the road. The longevity of Hardy is an unknown. We need pass rushers in the pipeline.

2(60) Grady Jarrett DT Clemson - He's about as plug and play at they come at this position. Team leader, penetrator and perfect scheme fit. Bowling ball and glue of the defense.

3(91) Duke Johnson RB Miami - Some say he can't be a feature back. Some say he can. Obviously I fall with the latter. The durability questions are legitimate but Duke is just too smooth, explosive, productive and too much of a fit for this offense to pass up at the bottom of round 3 should he be there.

4(127) Jaquiski Tartt S Samford - Possibly the 2nd best safety in this class. A bit under the radar as a Samford product. Played FS and nickel CB and did it last year with a shoulder injury he had surgery on after the season. Plus we could give him the nickname "Re", stick it between his first and last name and watch this board blow up again.

5(163) JaCorey Shepherd CB Kansas - Cowboys connection with Dave Campo. Former wideout who hasn't been able to post workout numbers because of a lingering hamstring issue. Work in progress but he's got the most important attribute for a cornerback - ball skills.

7(236) DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech - Between the QB situation there and tearing his ACL late in the year, he's carrying a barely draftable grade. Has great size and had a pretty productive senior year all things considered.

7(243) Sean Donnelly T Tulane - Developmental swing tackle. Will need a year in an NFL S&C program. The tools are there to possibly play both sides of the line.

-

No matter what I mocked, I was going to fail to address holes. I would have liked to have added a LB (I drafted Harold as a DE). Addressing WR before the 7th round would have been nice too. I also would have loved to have traded down at some point or two and accumulate more picks but I don't think you can realistically do that in a mock.

My first rough draft of this mock had Todd Gurley at 27. I was clinging to the man's pant leg but now it's just not realistic to think he'll last that long. This guy is a top 5 overall talent in this class. Man, I wanted to add him to an offense with Dez Bryant. Now he'll get drafted by another team and I will hate him for his entire career. What kind of last name is Gurley anyway? Pansy.

As an aside, with Gurley at 27, Duke Johnson would have turned into Lorenzo Mauldin. Love the player.

I've had the feeling for some time that this draft will mirror the approach of the 2004 Draft. Where we trade back to the top of the 2nd round with the intention of targeting a RB. I could be completely wrong but it's just the vibe I've had during the entire draft process this year.

Just stockpile talent, Cowboys. Don't fixate on need. You don't need a complete team to win anymore. Upgrade the talent base of the overall roster. If the opportunity's there to create a ridiculous 1-2 at WR, do it. If there's a dominant offensive lineman that can just take this line to another level, take that guy. Keep your mind open to any and all positions (except CB) and let the board dictate the outcome.

I believe the Eagles will end up with Marcus Mariota and I don't know how I feel about it. I think they trade Bradford to Cleveland as part of a package that nets them both of the Browns' 1st round picks and use those picks and others in future years, maybe even some players like Cox and/or Kendricks, to get up to 2 for Mariota. On one hand, he's the perfect QB for the head coach and his system. He even has a history with him. This could be big for them and no price is too much for a franchise QB. On the other hand, they will have to invest a ton to get into the position to draft him and all QBs come with some bust potential. A huge investment on a bust QB really sets a franchise back, both in compensation and time invested in that player. Also, if this doesn't work and Chip bolts town, the Eagles are stuck with a guy who may not have the skill set to transition to a more traditional pro offense. High risk, high reward. I'll be scared.

If anyone is willing to take one piece of advice from me, someone who has recordings of every draft since the early 90's, let me say this. Do not get tunnel vision on that small handful of players you've talked about constantly the last few months. Chances are the Cowboys will not draft your guy. Instead, take an independent look (not team propaganda from the team website or fans) and see if the Cowboys got value with their picks. See if these additions make sense where they selected them. The older crowd already know this. The young bucks can get sucked into thinking it's a draft class of a half dozen players or so.

No trade ups in the first round. No more than 1 CB in the class and I would love to acquire the last pick in the draft for that selection as the most true Mr. Irrelevant in draft history. But alas, it's a compensatory pick. Do the right thing, Arizona.

I'll be in and out on here during the three days. I can't follow the draft chatter thread much anymore as picks tend to get leaked before they're actually announced. I don't like that. I like that moment of suspense before throwing my remote in disgust and Mom telling me to keep it down down there.

Exactly 96 hours from right now. Can't wait.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can live with Harold. Lawerence isn't huge but he plays very strong and bigger then his size. I think he has the ability to be a Dungy LDE. If he maxes out at 265, he will play like a 285 pounder.

At 27, Harold will likely be the best pure rusher available. The top DE's likely to be available are likley to be pure RDE types like Owa, Smith and Hunter

RS12

Reaction score
I think Ogbuehi falls a ways. Read he had back issues through college as well.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like it.

I'd be very happy with that mock.

I also think Duke Johnson can do the job.

Aven8

Reaction score
I feel you on the players tunnel vision deal. The Cowboys are notorious, outside of the 1st round, of picking players that leaves everybody scratching there heads and yelling at the TV, such and such is still on the board! Why didn't we take him!! I've never even heard of Hitchens?!? Who the hell is he? Lol

That's why when I see everyones mocks with the big name players everybody knows, I kind of snicker a little because I know we like to find diamonds in the rough. If Latin America played football, we would have half the scouting department there most of the year!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I should be clear. When I said Gregory was off the board, I don't mean just my top 50. I mean completely undraftable off the board.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player in the NFL. I just wouldn't want to be the team to take a chance on him. It's more than the 230lbs. You are either a severe addict or a hall of fame level idiot to fail the combine drug test. I know there have been others who failed and went on to good careers but I'm playing the percentages here.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
With Duke, just because he didnt visit doesnt mean he is not on the board. If we bypass a HB in the first two rounds and Johnson is there in the third, Im pretty confident he will be the pick

MikeHoncho

Reaction score
Randy Gregory was taken off the board.

Top 50
1.. Leonard Williams DE USC
2.. Amari Cooper WR Alabama
3.. Todd Gurley RB Georgia
4.. Danny Shelton DT Washington
5.. Jameis Winston QB Florida St.

6.. Brandon Scherff T Iowa
7.. Dante Fowler DE Florida
8.. Kevin White WR West Virginia
9.. La'el Collins T LSU
10. DeVante Parker WR Louisville

11. Vic Beasley OLB Clemson
12. Malcom Brown DT Texas
13. Marcus Mariota QB Oregon
14. Ereck Flowers T Miami
15. Landon Collins S Alabama

16. Cameron Erving C Florida St.
17. Eddie Goldman DT Florida St.
18. Shane Ray OLB Missouri
19. T.J. Clemmings T Pittsburgh
20. Jaelen Strong WR Arizona St.

21. Trae Waynes CB Michigan St.
22. Andrus Peat T Stanford
23. Maxx Williams TE Minnesota
24. Melvin Gordon RB Wisconsin
25. Eli Harold OLB Virginia

26. Marcus Peters CB Washington
27. Byron Jones CB Connecticut
28. Cedric Ogbuehi T Texas A&M
29. Kevin Johnson CB Wake Forest
30. Breshad Perriman WR UCF

31. Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson
32. Phillip Dorsett WR Miami
33. Ronald Darby CB Florida St.
34. Bud Dupree OLB Kentucky
35. Denzel Perryman ILB Miami

36. Dorial Green-Beckham WR Oklahoma
37. Preston Smith DE Mississippi St.
38. A.J. Cann G South Carolina
39. Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
40. Jalen Collins CB LSU

41. Ameer Abdullah RB Nebraska
42. Eric Kendricks ILB UCLA
43. Benardrick McKinney ILB Mississippi St.
44. Carl Davis DT Iowa
45. Tevin Coleman RB Indiana

46. Tre Jackson G Florida St.
47. D.J. Humphries T Florida
48. Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA
49. Shaq Thompson OLB Washington
50. Devin Smith WR Ohio St.

Just Missed - Hau'oli Kikaha OLB Washington, Michael Bennett DT Ohio St., Jake Fisher T Oregon, Trey Flowers DE Arkansas, Laken Tomlinson G Duke, Eric Rowe CB Utah.

-

Pet Cats
Amari Cooper WR Alabama
Todd Gurley RB Georgia
Danny Shelton DT Washington
Brandon Sherff T Iowa
La'el Collins T LSU
Eli Harold OLB Virginia
Stephone Anthony ILB Clemson
Phillip Dorsett WR Miami
Ronald Darby CB Florida St.
Grady Jarrett DT Clemson
Za'Darius Smith DE Kentucky
Kwon Alexander OLB LSU
Lorenzo Mauldin OLB Louisville
Duke Johnson RB Miami
Anthony Chickillo DE Miami
Jeremy Langford RB Michigan St.
Charles Gaines CB Georgia
Jaquiski Tartt S Samford
Rob Havenstein T Wisconsin
Senquez Golson CB Mississippi
Antoine Everett G McNeese St.
JaCorey Shepherd CB Kansas
Corey Robinson T South Carolina

-

Mock Draft
Once again I made several trades for various picks then traded those picks for my original selections.

1(27) Eli Harold OLB Virginia - Played in a 3-4 but was most productive as a down DE. We selected Travis Frederick as the "last of the Mohicans" of blue chip offensive linemen prospects in 2013. I envision Harold to be that this year for edge rushers. There are probably other options for this pick to get more production year one but none, IMO, have the potential pay off down the road. The longevity of Hardy is an unknown. We need pass rushers in the pipeline.

2(60) Grady Jarrett DT Clemson - He's about as plug and play at they come at this position. Team leader, penetrator and perfect scheme fit. Bowling ball and glue of the defense.

3(91) Duke Johnson RB Miami - Some say he can't be a feature back. Some say he can. Obviously I fall with the latter. The durability questions are legitimate but Duke is just too smooth, explosive, productive and too much of a fit for this offense to pass up at the bottom of round 3 should he be there.

4(127) Jaquiski Tartt S Samford - Possibly the 2nd best safety in this class. A bit under the radar as a Samford product. Played FS and nickel CB and did it last year with a shoulder injury he had surgery on after the season. Plus we could give him the nickname "Re", stick it between his first and last name and watch this board blow up again.

5(163) JaCorey Shepherd CB Kansas - Cowboys connection with Dave Campo. Former wideout who hasn't been able to post workout numbers because of a lingering hamstring issue. Work in progress but he's got the most important attribute for a cornerback - ball skills.

7(236) DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech - Between the QB situation there and tearing his ACL late in the year, he's carrying a barely draftable grade. Has great size and had a pretty productive senior year all things considered.

7(243) Sean Donnelly T Tulane - Developmental swing tackle. Will need a year in an NFL S&C program. The tools are there to possibly play both sides of the line.

-

No matter what I mocked, I was going to fail to address holes. I would have liked to have added a LB (I drafted Harold as a DE). Addressing WR before the 7th round would have been nice too. I also would have loved to have traded down at some point or two and accumulate more picks but I don't think you can realistically do that in a mock.

My first rough draft of this mock had Todd Gurley at 27. I was clinging to the man's pant leg but now it's just not realistic to think he'll last that long. This guy is a top 5 overall talent in this class. Man, I wanted to add him to an offense with Dez Bryant. Now he'll get drafted by another team and I will hate him for his entire career. What kind of last name is Gurley anyway? Pansy.

As an aside, with Gurley at 27, Duke Johnson would have turned into Lorenzo Mauldin. Love the player.

I've had the feeling for some time that this draft will mirror the approach of the 2004 Draft. Where we trade back to the top of the 2nd round with the intention of targeting a RB. I could be completely wrong but it's just the vibe I've had during the entire draft process this year.

Just stockpile talent, Cowboys. Don't fixate on need. You don't need a complete team to win anymore. Upgrade the talent base of the overall roster. If the opportunity's there to create a ridiculous 1-2 at WR, do it. If there's a dominant offensive lineman that can just take this line to another level, take that guy. Keep your mind open to any and all positions (except CB) and let the board dictate the outcome.

I believe the Eagles will end up with Marcus Mariota and I don't know how I feel about it. I think they trade Bradford to Cleveland as part of a package that nets them both of the Browns' 1st round picks and use those picks and others in future years, maybe even some players like Cox and/or Kendricks, to get up to 2 for Mariota. On one hand, he's the perfect QB for the head coach and his system. He even has a history with him. This could be big for them and no price is too much for a franchise QB. On the other hand, they will have to invest a ton to get into the position to draft him and all QBs come with some bust potential. A huge investment on a bust QB really sets a franchise back, both in compensation and time invested in that player. Also, if this doesn't work and Chip bolts town, the Eagles are stuck with a guy who may not have the skill set to transition to a more traditional pro offense. High risk, high reward. I'll be scared.

If anyone is willing to take one piece of advice from me, someone who has recordings of every draft since the early 90's, let me say this. Do not get tunnel vision on that small handful of players you've talked about constantly the last few months. Chances are the Cowboys will not draft your guy. Instead, take an independent look (not team propaganda from the team website or fans) and see if the Cowboys got value with their picks. See if these additions make sense where they selected them. The older crowd already know this. The young bucks can get sucked into thinking it's a draft class of a half dozen players or so.

No trade ups in the first round. No more than 1 CB in the class and I would love to acquire the last pick in the draft for that selection as the most true Mr. Irrelevant in draft history. But alas, it's a compensatory pick. Do the right thing, Arizona.

I'll be in and out on here during the three days. I can't follow the draft chatter thread much anymore as picks tend to get leaked before they're actually announced. I don't like that. I like that moment of suspense before throwing my remote in disgust and Mom telling me to keep it down down there.

Exactly 96 hours from right now. Can't wait.

What you say about Jarret is spot on.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
D+ Duke Johson = BUST and a near wasted 3rd round choice. Wouldn't take him in the 5th round of the Draft. Small, frail, slow and over rated. Less potential than Abdulla. Did you forget about clones Randle and Williams? Maybe I expected too much from you ... C Minus.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
That would work for me.
I agree on a trade down (from 27 and also in the 5th) but also that doing it a mock adds that extra layer of dream fog.
So
  • Harold works..though, like I said, I'd prefer not at 27
  • Jarret works
  • Johnson too..in the 3rd
  • Tartt in the 4th kind of surprised me. But hey, it's better value than Matt Johnson
  • I like Shephard...though, again, I may have tried to trade down in the real world
  • Both 7 rounders work too,though I a bit ignorant on Smelter...kind of saw him as a UDFA , but this locks him in.
Thanks for all the work.
The Top 50 list is interesting too.

Gaede

Reaction score
Great job Risen. Johnson is growing on me. I love that you added to the DL in the first 2 picks and still got a RB. Even though I am not Harold's biggest fan, I desperately want the team to address the DL.

Agreed about Gregory.

Can't wait for this draft. For once, Dallas is going in with no gigantic holes. This can be a really good opp to acquire talent, regardless of position

Last edited:

dbonham

Reaction score
How do you compare Jarrett to Donald? He was my biggest pet cat since Earl Thomas but I remember some folks saying he was too scheme limited. Do you think 6' Jarrett has the same issue?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you compare Jarrett to Donald? He was my biggest pet cat since Earl Thomas but I remember some folks saying he was too scheme limited. Do you think 6' Jarrett has the same issue?

Yeah, they're both scheme specific players. Jarrett isn't nearly the pass rusher that Donald has proven to be. That's why he'll be a 2nd round pick rather than top 15.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So, as an avid proponent of BPA, you would take Maxx Williams in the first over Harold if they were the two highest ranked players ;)

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Smelter's one of my favorites. Would love to get him late, assuming we haven't gone WR by then.

I've always liked the idea of adding talent to the same unit early, or talent that plays next to each other (RDE and WLB for instance). The top picks seem like kind of a small group though. I could see adding one undersized guy but three out of the top three picks isn't a good trend to me.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I should be clear. When I said Gregory was off the board, I don't mean just my top 50. I mean completely undraftable off the board.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player in the NFL. I just wouldn't want to be the team to take a chance on him. It's more than the 230lbs. You are either a severe addict or a hall of fame level idiot to fail the combine drug test. I know there have been others who failed and went on to good careers but I'm playing the percentages here.

Solid and sound arguement against Gregory. What about Frank Clark in the 3rd? I know there has been some talk of getting him in the 5th and at that point why not but he seems to be rising in the 3/4th round area and picking so late we would have to go 3rd most likely. Pass rusher particularly if we dont get one earlier.