My draft rumblings...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anyone is willing to take one piece of advice from me, someone who has recordings of every draft since the early 90's, let me say this. Do not get tunnel vision on that small handful of players you've talked about constantly the last few months. Chances are the Cowboys will not draft your guy. Instead, take an independent look (not team propaganda from the team website or fans) and see if the Cowboys got value with their picks. See if these additions make sense where they selected them. The older crowd already know this. The young bucks can get sucked into thinking it's a draft class of a half dozen players or so.

The overreaction to draft picks is so overwhelming because of tunnel vision every year it's ridiculous.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The overreaction to draft picks is so overwhelming because of tunnel vision every year it's ridiculous.

yea, most seasons, when we pick a bit higher, there is about a 50% chance that they pick "your guy" in the first. After that, they may select 1 of "your guys" with the remaining picks, but I'd say that is a 50% chance at best.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
With Duke, just because he didnt visit doesnt mean he is not on the board. If we bypass a HB in the first two rounds and Johnson is there in the third, Im pretty confident he will be the pick

It could be a possibility but even Duke may be gone by 91 if the run on RB's does start early.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smelter's one of my favorites. Would love to get him late, assuming we haven't gone WR by then.

I've always liked the idea of adding talent to the same unit early, or talent that plays next to each other (RDE and WLB for instance). The top picks seem like kind of a small group though. I could see adding one undersized guy but three out of the top three picks isn't a good trend to me.

Valid criticism.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, as an avid proponent of BPA, you would take Maxx Williams in the first over Harold if they were the two highest ranked players ;)

Not over Harold, no. That's a cluster you're looking at. Same grade.

But let's say the Cowboys move down some and Williams is still there? Yeah, I'd be open to it. Witten is at the end of the road and I'm not a big believer in Escobar as a full time starter.

I know that pick would be universally panned around here but not by me.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Awesome stuff, RS.

Great commentary. Love your picks.

Most people get stuck on Waller, prolly because of his measurables. But Smelter was the stud receiver in the GT offense until he got hurt, no two ways. He is an explosive, down the field pass catcher who really attacks the ball. GREAT athlete who just loves playing the game. He has huge hands. HUGE. The only question is the ACL, which is a big question, but I think he could possibly be the steal of the draft.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Risen what's your thoughts on TJ Clemmings? If he is available at 27 would you take him?

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Not over Harold, no. That's a cluster you're looking at. Same grade.

But let's say the Cowboys move down some and Williams is still there? Yeah, I'd be open to it. Witten is at the end of the road and I'm not a big believer in Escobar as a full time starter.

I know that pick would be universally panned around here but not by me.

Good players are good players. Can never have enough. A TE wouldn't make the team better short term though. We are in a small window before we have to rebuild the offensive skill positions.

Tejano15

Reaction score
Yeah, they're both scheme specific players. Jarrett isn't nearly the pass rusher that Donald has proven to be. That's why he'll be a 2nd round pick rather than top 15.

Many reports say Jarrett is a poor mans Aaron Donald clone. I can see the comparison just think Donald was more ahead coming out of college. With the right coach, Jarrett can be just as good and have a great NFL career.

MrPhil

Reaction score
1(27) Eli Harold OLB Virginia - Played in a 3-4 but was most productive as a down DE. We selected Travis Frederick as the "last of the Mohicans" of blue chip offensive linemen prospects in 2013. I envision Harold to be that this year for edge rushers. There are probably other options for this pick to get more production year one but none, IMO, have the potential pay off down the road. The longevity of Hardy is an unknown. We need pass rushers in the pipeline.

I do know that the Cowboys are interested as they have been in contact with his high school coaches, one of whom I am very good friends with.

tm1119

Reaction score
Many reports say Jarrett is a poor mans Aaron Donald clone. I can see the comparison just think Donald was more ahead coming out of college. With the right coach, Jarrett can be just as good and have a great NFL career.

Jarrett isn't on the same level as Donald as an athlete, but then again no one is. I think Jarrett will be a good player, but I don't think he will be near the dominant pass rusher Donald is. Regardless of coaching, can't coach the freakish athleticism that Donald has.

Funny going back and looking at Donald's NFL combine page though. They gave him a 5.3 rating and a 4th/5th round grade. They gave Jarrett a 5.8 and 2nd round grade. Think they learned their lesson?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If anyone is willing to take one piece of advice from me, someone who has recordings of every draft since the early 90's, let me say this. Do not get tunnel vision on that small handful of players you've talked about constantly the last few months. Chances are the Cowboys will not draft your guy. Instead, take an independent look (not team propaganda from the team website or fans) and see if the Cowboys got value with their picks. See if these additions make sense where they selected them. The older crowd already know this. The young bucks can get sucked into thinking it's a draft class of a half dozen players or so.

My advice would be don't assume that the draft media are all that accurate in their rankings. Every year they drastically over rate some players and drastically under rate other players.

Nobody seems to notice when they rate a guy like Jackson Jeffcoat as a 2nd/3rd and he ends up as a free agent; however, when a team drafts a player earlier than the media rankings people throw a tantrum like a small child.

Last edited:

VACowboy

Reaction score
My advise would be don't assume that the draft media are all that accurate in their rankings. Every year they drastically over rate some players and drastically under rate other players.

Nobody seems to notice when they rate a guy like Jackson Jeffcoat as a 2nd/3rd and he ends up as a free agent; however, when a team drafts a player earlier than the media rankings people throw a tantrum like a small child.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. You (poster on this board) may not get paid to talk about it, but you know as much as the "experts" about potential draftees, and a lot more about the Cowboys. Trust your eyes.