My draft rumblings...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a dirty little secret: I'm fascinated by the sniping that goes on between Risen and xwalker. Both among the most influential (and best) posters on these boards, in my opinion, but somehow always at each other's throats. A bit like watching two of the big dogs on the block fight for neighbourhood supremacy.

I feel a bit guilty taking such interest in your sparring, gents. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to see it end. (Sorry.)

There's a place for both points of view... the new analytical and the more traditional. I enjoy both takes.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarrett isn't on the same level as Donald as an athlete, but then again no one is. I think Jarrett will be a good player, but I don't think he will be near the dominant pass rusher Donald is. Regardless of coaching, can't coach the freakish athleticism that Donald has.

Funny going back and looking at Donald's NFL combine page though. They gave him a 5.3 rating and a 4th/5th round grade. They gave Jarrett a 5.8 and 2nd round grade. Think they learned their lesson?

They were idiots for putting him as 4/5th rounder on a combine page for Donald. Many viewed him as a first rounder for a LOOOONG time. Most of us were sure he would be there at our pick...after his senior bowl and combine we started to see that he would probably not fall to us.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I have a dirty little secret: I'm fascinated by the sniping that goes on between Risen and xwalker. Both among the most influential (and best) posters on these boards, in my opinion, but somehow always at each other's throats. A bit like watching two of the big dogs on the block fight for neighbourhood supremacy.

I feel a bit guilty taking such interest in your sparring, gents. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to see it end. (Sorry.)

I enjoy xwalker and Fuzzy Lumpkins sniping more, but I get the sentiment lol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm here for your entertainment. :grin:

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
You get good corner play through your front seven and safeties.

They aren't impact players. They make nobody better.

I didn't realize you regarded safeties so well. I thought you lumped all DBs in the same.

Pretty much true though - defend the middle of the field/seam and let the offense take it's chances going sideline to sideline. A sideline pass is a less direct route to the endzone than a seam pass. It takes more yards to get there.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I enjoy xwalker and Fuzzy Lumpkins sniping more, but I get the sentiment lol.

Yes, I prefer arguing with Fuzzy because he actually makes some good points and seems to actually watch the game footage.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Do we argue ? I thought we were usually on the same page. I generally like his posts.

C'mon, man. Stop kissing up to the mods. Now's not the time to stop being confrontational. In fact, I think you should challenge Fuzzy and Idgit to a handicapped match. I'll take your side if you wish since I'm obviously handicapped.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
You're wrong. It's not fun doing anything as easy as schooling this group of mods.

You remember when you were a kid and you would talk crap about a teacher who came in behind you and you got caught? That's how this feels.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You remember when you were a kid and you would talk crap about a teacher who came in behind you and you got caught? That's how this feels.

I'm a cog in the wheel who just does what he's told. It's the admins you have to look out for, because they're merciless.

By the way, @Risen, I really dig the draft stuff you do every year. And really like your mock here. Doing everything I can to not make a Smelter joke.

You going to do the contest to see how many people slot the draft picks correctly this season? Or did that end up being too much work?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
You get good corner play through your front seven and safeties.

They aren't impact players. They make nobody better.

You don't think Richard Sherman, Darelle Revis, Joe Hayden and Patrick Peterson make defense's better? The Seahawks defense would stink without those four in the back. The Patriots sure seem to draft/sign a lot of corners and no one has ever accused Bellichek of being an idiot.

tm1119

Reaction score
You don't think Richard Sherman, Darelle Revis, Joe Hayden and Patrick Peterson make defense's better? The Seahawks defense would stink without those four in the back. The Patriots sure seem to draft/sign a lot of corners and no one has ever accused Bellichek of being an idiot.
wow did the Seahawks pull off even more trades? That's an impressive secondary they have going now....

Only Earl Thomas was a high draft pick of Seattle's DB's, they did a good job of finding their type of guys late otherwise. And The Patriots have used 2 1st round picks on DB's in the past decade +.

No CB is capable of covering a WR for anything more than 5-7 seconds while a lot of CB's are capable of covering for 3 seconds. Simply put, you get to the QB quickly and your DB's look great. It also helps to have reliable safeties over the top to bail out your CB's. Another thing we've lacked for a while.