My Homeboy, who hates the cowboys, Said...

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
What has AP done that he gets so much man love for? Anyone remember a guy by the name of Julius Jones? His rookie year? Imagine what we would have been if he was healthy all year... Then what happened? I know Barber hasn't been in the league for much longer, but he's definately more proven than AP.

And this "put AP behind our line and he's a 2000yd back" stuff is nonsense... The Vikings line is one of, if not the best, RUN blocking lines in the NFL... Put Barber there and in that offense he's a 1750yd 20+ TD back "ALL DAY"!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Barber isn't an elite RB and he's not as good as AP, but I wouldn't trade The Barbarian for AP because of 2 very important reasons:

1. Durability (so far)

2. Attitude. AP might be more of a home run hitter (not that we need one since we have Felix), but NO ONE energizes an entire football team (or stadium if at home) more than MB3. Period.

Shady12

Reaction score
Yeah, he's top notch. Breakaway speed is really nice, but when you are looking at a running back's skillset it's near the bottom of what you need to be good. He pretty much has every little thing except breakaway speed. I'd rather him lack that than some of his other intangibles. And while he's not a 'home run hitter' and wouldn't have scored on the 60 yarder if it was him instead of Felix..he DOES get more long runs (like 30+ yards or so) than almost any back in the league I believe. Would you rather have a guy who might break one 60+ yarder a season and only go over 20 yards a couple more times all season..or a guy who has no 60+ yarders but breaks off 30-40 yarders regularly?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I really think in a lot of ways Marion Barber is to RB's as what Jason Witten is to TE's.

Both dont have just incredibly amazing athletic ability but you will not find one hole in either one of those guys games.

You can make a case that Barber is the most complete back in the league.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'd just like to say that MBIII is becoming one of the most likable Cowboys around the country. The guy is as tough as nails, I'm sure the country saw him playing the piano on "hard knocks" , it also helps that Garrett has this awesome play where Romo fakes a quick slant, and then a draw to Barber, that play almost always works.

Spectre

Reaction score
Barber is undeniably B.A.
Even to outsiders.

But he's no L.T., Westbrook, Peterson or possibly Gore and Jones Drew.
Sproles and Turner are making a case, too.

Barber runs behind probably the best O-Line in all of football. He is an elite RB but I think he might struggle a little on a poor team. He is, however, hands down the best RB of his style.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
Ad, Lt, Westbrook, S. Jackson, Addai, I Would Take Them All Over Barber...barber Is Good But He Doesnt Have The Speed To Make Him A Top 5 Back...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Spectre;2284347 said:
Barber is undeniably B.A.
Even to outsiders.

But he's no L.T., Westbrook, Peterson or possibly Gore and Jones Drew.
Sproles and Turner are making a case, too.

Barber runs behind probably the best O-Line in all of football. He is an elite RB but I think he might struggle a little on a poor team. He is, however, hands down the best RB of his style.

See I disagree.

After LT and Peterson and dont know how much further the list can go.

Hes right there.

And there is no way i'd take Gore or Jones drew over Barber.

STSINAZ;2284352 said:
Ad, Lt, Westbrook, S. Jackson, Addai, I Would Take Them All Over Barber...barber Is Good But He Doesnt Have The Speed To Make Him A Top 5 Back...

Way to much emphasis on speed, especially at that position.

Great RB's come in all shapes and sizes.

CooSTel

Reaction score
Gain a 1,000 yds. Then do it multiple times before you annoint him top 5. I am not a player hater cause I got respect for the dude. He is a tough SOB who gives it his all on every play. I would worry about his style though. Not condusive to a long career.

Nexx

Reaction score
khiladi;2283932 said:
Put Adrian Peterson behind our line, he'd run for 2000 yards a season....

if he didnt get injured, which he probably would looking back at history.

Spectre

Reaction score
CooSTel;2284356 said:
Gain a 1,000 yds. Then do it multiple times before you annoint him top 5. I am not a player hater cause I got respect for the dude. He is a tough SOB who gives it his all on every play. I would worry about his style though. Not condusive to a long career.
exactly.

And anyone who think Westbrook isn't one the top 3 is sadly mistaken.
He can singlehandedly carry a game like LT and has many, many times.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
AD is a great runner but he isnt gonna be in the league long IMO he is too injury prone.......

sago1

Reaction score
Another reason I like MBIII is the way he and Romo work so well together. On some plays when it appears Romo is in a little bit of trouble, all of a sudden MBIII is there to catch the ball & pick up some good yardage.

One particular play really comes to mind from last year. Now I don't remember who we were playing, but: 2 opposing players were in the backfield zeroing in on Romo when MBIII, who had his back to Romo & who was blocking 2 other opposing players on Romo's left side, abruptly broke off contact with them. He turned towards Romo & put himself in the perfect position to take an underhand pass from Romo for a really good gain. It was not a planned play. It was just instinct on MBIII's part what he should do & instinct on Romo's part that MBIII would be there.

Manster68

Reaction score
Cowboy Bill Watts;2283934 said:
he might be the best playing right now. whether or not he's on another level is debateable, IMHO. another level = emmitt, walter or barry.

I like MBIII - and he is clearly quite good - but i'm not sure he's in that class just yet...

Actually, Michael Turner just might be the best playing right now. However, Marion is a beast! I just love the way he punishes people.

Felix is needed to give him a spell every now and again.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
CooSTel;2284356 said:

I would venture to guess that you think Portis is a top 5 back hands down though?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You have a "homeboy" who hates Dallas?

You might need a new "homeboy", whatever that really means.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Guys top with the LT Love. Not only is He injured but He is regressing. He's just not the best anymore, end of story. Peterson is the best right now, LT is ten notches below Him.

And for the record at this point I would not trade MArion Barber for LT. Not going to happen. Call me a homer, but I wouldnt do it.