CFZ My Observations From the Game

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Cooper Rush is NOT a #2 backup. He was struggling big time. And the yellow laundry all over the field needs to be addressed immediately. The coaches have their hands full to say the least.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
players:
Tyler Smith: Plus. He will have mental processing issues and he will get holding calls but he also moves people. Those were NFL players he was pancaking.
J Tolbert: Minus. Looked really raw and not ready for the bright lights. Has to catch the ball and has to compete harder for errant throws. Dak won't throw him the ball as is.
Sam Williams: Very one move but his bull rush does impact the pressure. Spot guy year 1 that will need to learn some counters.
Dante Fowler: Still has juice off edge. New Randy Gregory as pure pass rusher. Has to be smarter.
THill: This guy is going to get paid Lighter, quicker, stronger. Constant pressure on run game and will get a few sacks to boot.
Neville: Stonewalled entire run game a few times. Just really strong inside.
Malik Jefferson. Local kid is a legit LB. Its what he has played his entire life and you see the feel for the game. Naturally slips blocks and gets to ball. Good depth player.
Nashawn Wright: They won't let him play certain schemes. He can't play 10 yards off ball with no help up top but he is a good jam at line type and he can play deeper off ball. Pure cover1/3 guy. Poor mans Richard Sherman. Maybe almost broke.
Daron Bland: Looks like an NFL CB. He might be CB4 this year.

There were so many guys held out that it can be hard to evaluate honestly.
But I am 100% convinced that is the correct way to go about your business.

Losing a guy for 17 weeks due to a pre-season game is as bad as it gets.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I really liked shampklin, then Davis also looks good.
Like you said, like our back TEs, both Ferguson and Henderson looking good.

Also impressed with how Basham, Bohannon, and gallomore looked.

Really not impressed with the lack of discipline, effort, and terrible backup qbs

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont mind talking with you buddy. But you seem to lack the ability to handle criticism of players and you get offended as a poster really really easy. I like to have full on discussions. Arguments are fine as well. Two different styles.

I can handle it perfectly well. I do not get offended. Maybe you think that because that is your intent.
What I do not like to see is the insults or however so slight thrown in with them. They are not necessary.
Then it makes others, you, myself, go at each other when it can be avoided.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given who the Cowboys have on their roster at QB, I think DiNucci has the most upside. He was clearly better last night than he was last year and improvement is what you look for in a guy like him. He has the best arm of the 3 backups, more mobility, and he is the youngest. Remember, Romo sat on the bench and looked pretty awful his first 2 years too. DiNucci will never be as good as Romo but he could develop into a quality backup.
I would like to have seen him start the game. By the time he played they had 4th string OL in the game.

He has to be able to throw the ball away on occasion...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I can handle it perfectly well. I do not get offended. Maybe you think that because that is your intent.
What I do not like to see is the insults or however so slight thrown in with them. They are not necessary.
Then it makes others, you, myself, go at each other when it can be avoided.

You got the homers that cant handle criticism and you have the haters that talk negative about everything. THAT is what creates all the animosity on here. If people could talk realistically then there would be less problems.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Felt like they were in San Fran's pocket in the playoffs and then again hated us last night.

In a preseason game, dude? Come on. Y'all are on autopilot. I know none of y'all want to remember but the SF game had a former Dallas Cowboy reffing the game. By your logic we actually had more than 14 penalties against SF because he hid a few for us. Lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
First and foremost, it's a waste of time to play DiNucci or Rush at this point in time, even in the preseason. I know Grier is a better player than both of these guys, but we'd be better served if he played in the next preseason game to see what we have out there.

Second, I really like our rookie tight ends. Both Hendershot and Ferguson.

Gallimore and Bohanna look like they have both put on weight. And I saw improvements in both, but especially Gallimore. He looks like a different player.

Stand out player. Doran Bland. Goodness. Get this guy on the field. He makes plays. He has great instincts, plays the ball great, covers better than I expected, and tackles well. Loves this pick so far. He looks like a natural out there. I feel more confident in him that I would Joseph right now, who I would say played better than Nashan Wright, so at least he's competing out there.

I thought Waletzko looked pretty good at LT, when I noticed him in there. He got some push on a run play, while Tyler whiffed his assignment and couldn't find anyone to block.

Basham played with really good instincts tonight. He made a case for himself, I think.

Fowler flashed why DQ likely brought him on.

Aaron Shampklin, to me, looks better than the rest of the backs. I think he brings more to the team as a 3rd back, because he can block, catch passes, run, etc. Smart player. I've liked him since I learned he was an UDFA. Great screen back. I liked Davis too. Dowdle was OK.. I think Shampklin likely gives you more on ST, because he can return punts and kicks.

I didn't notice Sam Williams do too much. In the Football Team preseason game, Barno looked legit coming off the edge. I wish I would have seen our guy flash like that. In any case, I have a hunch I was onto something with Barno. Obviously, I'm not giving up on Williams. He did have a nice bullrush move out there.

Safety play was atrocious tonight.

Brown looked solid at CB.

Storey Jackson showed some aggression and had a tackle for a loss.

Fehoko scored the only TD, on a really smart route, in coverage. Wasn't pretty. But he got it done.

Tolbert looked so so, but it's really hard to get too low on him because the QBs were putrid tonight, so it really ruined the enjoyment of the game.

The game, overall, was ugly. But I'm also well aware it was a preseason game.

Way too many penalties.

If we don't fix that, McCarthy should quit right now.

He needs to be a disciplinarian. Or this won't get done.
Grier was out w/ a groin injury.

At least Nooch has an arm.

kskboys

Reaction score
You got the homers that cant handle criticism and you have the haters that talk negative about everything. THAT is what creates all the animosity on here. If people could talk realistically then there would be less problems.
It'd be so much better if they'd crack down on the personal attacks and stupid little childish insults.

erod

Reaction score
I’d keep Bland over Wright and/or Joseph.

Ball sucks (have fun with that one). Not good when the international development guy who is switching positions is light years better than you.

Rush is a dead man walking
Bland already made the team. They played him all game for a reason. They wanted to see in a game what they had seen in practice, and he didn't disappoint.

Great nickel corner draft pick.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It would be boring if everybody agreed with each other...

Sure, but there's a difference between the "I don't agree with you" comments and the "You're wrong" comments.

Seriously doubt there are any ex-NFL coaches who post on this site, just about all opinions we post could be correct as far as what they say...

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No...your M.O. of insulting everyone you don't agree with is the animosity and poison.

pitt33

Reaction score
Can’t get enough of the “we’re going to clean it up” and the “we have to be better!” Followed by “this is on me”

McCarthy is nothing but words. From when we signed him talking about the analytics and having an analytics team on staff. To the following year and his piss poor time management. Penalties will be the story of the year again
Don’t sweat it.

This will be his last season as HC.