My Review of THE DARK KNIGHT *Spoilers added*

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Hostile;2164377 said:
I went to see this last night. I agree that Heath Ledger is very good and the story and graphics are very well done. I like that the city of Gotham looks likes a real city, not just a place in the shadows as a couple of the previous films did.

I can't say I was blown away or that I was entertained. It's a very dark movie and there is no humor to it anywhere. I realize that is not the goal, but I like a movie to make me smile. While this one is amazing for the characterizations, I didn't find it much of a story beyond that.

I really liked Christian Bale as the little lost boy in Empire of the Sun. I felt his portrayal in that movie was incredible. A couple of times in this one he was that same character. The vacant stare, the bewilderment, the lost boy, no humor.

Heath Ledger stole the film, much like Nicholson in the original. No doubt about that. Nicholson's character was more comic book, but he was also a little more entertaining because he had some really funny lines.

I would recommend the film to anyone who is wondering if they should see it. I probably won't buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Just my 2 cents.

I disagree about the humor analysis, but it's probably not the kind of humor you were looking for.

If you are a Batman fan, THIS is Batman. Batman isn't popcorn nor is the story a happy one. Regardless of it being a "Batman" film, I found it the be a fantastic film in general. It's a deep multilayered film and i suggest at LEAST a second viewing. I covered this film for 2 years and have now seen it many times, and there are still things I'm picking up that I didn't get is earlier viewings.

Oh well, to each his own. But it's certainly doing well at the box office and amongst the critics.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2164393 said:
I disagree about the humor analysis, but it's probably not the kind of humor you were looking for.

If you are a Batman fan, THIS is Batman. Batman isn't popcorn nor is the story a happy one. Regardless of it being a "Batman" film, I found it the be a fantastic film in general. It's a deep multilayered film and i suggest at LEAST a second viewing. I covered this film for 2 years and have now seen it many times, and there are still things I'm picking up that I didn't get is earlier viewings.

Oh well, to each his own. But it's certainly doing well at the box office and amongst the critics.
It should do well. It is a fantastic film. I am not saying it isn't. I just didn't feel entertained because it is so dark. There was no depth to the characters beyond tagedy.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I saw it last night. I thought it was great. As a film in general I thought it was pretty good. As a comic book movie, I thought it was one of the best.

It was dark and there is no depth to the character other than tragedy, but that is what makes it work. In the darker versions of Batman, he has nothing else going for him except for tragedy and is surrounded by it. So I don't see the lack of character depth as a bad thing. Just one of the darker interpretations of the Batman.

I liked the minimum use of CGI. You can't avoid CGI in today's movies and I think it is a wonderful tool. I just don't like to see it over used and this movie did not do that. Flipping a semi in downtown Chicago was a great stunt and looked great on the big screen.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hostile;2164377 said:
Heath Ledger stole the film, much like Nicholson in the original. No doubt about that. Nicholson's character was more comic book, but he was also a little more entertaining because he had some really funny lines.

Its funny... the first thing out of everyone's mouth was that Heath blew Nicholson away.... well... they each portrayed the Joker differently... so I dont think you can compare. Besides if Nicholson was directed to play the Joker as Heath did.. I have zero doubt that Nicholson could have matched or exceeded Heath.

"Wait til they get a load of me"
"This town needs an enema"

and my favorite

"What kind of a world do we live in where a man dressed as a bat gets all my press"

It's a deep multilayered film and i suggest at LEAST a second viewing. I covered this film for 2 years and have now seen it many times, and there are still things I'm picking up that I didn't get is earlier viewings.

You are too close to this. :p:

And what is your cut for getting moviegoers to see it a 2nd and 3rd time??? lol

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick;2164563 said:
Its funny... the first thing out of everyone's mouth was that Heath blew Nicholson away.... well... they each portrayed the Joker differently... so I dont think you can compare. Besides if Nicholson was directed to play the Joker as Heath did.. I have zero doubt that Nicholson could have matched or exceeded Heath.

and my favorite

"What kind of a world do we live in where a man dressed as a bat gets all my press."
No one ever blows Nicholson away as an actor, but I do think Heath Ledger's portrayal is better. Specifically because this wasn't a comic book version as Nicholson's was. Nicholson was more like Cesar Romero's Joker in the old TV series. Ledger is just a fantastic villian. Truly inspired in fact. The interrogation scene where he is enjoying making Batman use violence to get answers was incredible.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
YoMick;2164563 said:

and my favorite

"What kind of a world do we live in where a man dressed as a bat gets all my press"

You are too close to this. :p:

And what is your cut for getting moviegoers to see it a 2nd and 3rd time??? lol

you didn't like "wanna see a magic trick...?" my eyes went like this -->:omg:

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Hostile;2164608 said:
No one ever blows Nicholson away as an actor, but I do think Heath Ledger's portrayal is better. Specifically because this wasn't a comic book version as Nicholson's was. Nicholson was more like Cesar Romero's Joker in the old TV series. Ledger is just a fantastic villian. Truly inspired in fact. The interrogation scene where he is enjoying making Batman use violence to get answers was incredible.

I've got to agree with Hostile on this. Although I disagree with his character depth take, no offense.

As big of a Batman fan as I am, I never got past Nicholson with his Joker. It was like "Jack Nicholson as The Joker" instead of "The Joker." If we had never known that Heath Ledger played The Joker, IDK if we'd have known it was him, you know what I mean? Just never was a big fan of B89 personally.

YoMick, if TDK had been crap, I'd have called 'em on it. I hammered WB for years after BATMAN AND ROBIN. It's not as if what I'm saying and what I said before any of y'all saw it isn't true. ;) :starspin

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2164797 said:
I've got to agree with Hostile on this. Although I disagree with his character depth take, no offense.

As big of a Batman fan as I am, I never got past Nicholson with his Joker. It was like "Jack Nicholson as The Joker" instead of "The Joker." If we had never known that Heath Ledger played The Joker, IDK if we'd have known it was him, you know what I mean? Just never was a big fan of B89 personally.

YoMick, if TDK had been crap, I'd have called 'em on it. I hammered WB for years after BATMAN AND ROBIN. It's not as if what I'm saying and what I said before any of y'all saw it isn't true. ;) :starspin
If it had been a secret, no I couldn't have figured it out. I don't think the Oscar talk for him is misplaced at all. His character did have depth, but all of them were dark. Nothing wrong with that.

I want to make sure you realize, I did not dislike the movie. I'm not saying that at all. I just don't think it is a movie that I could watch over and over like the Lord of Rings, Star Wars, Jaws, or some of the other big blockbuster films. I wasn't captivated. It was good, but it wasn't addicting.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Hostile;2164821 said:
If it had been a secret, no I couldn't have figured it out. I don't think the Oscar talk for him is misplaced at all. His character did have depth, but all of them were dark. Nothing wrong with that.

I want to make sure you realize, I did not dislike the movie. I'm not saying that at all. I just don't think it is a movie that I could watch over and over like the Lord of Rings, Star Wars, Jaws, or some of the other big blockbuster films. I wasn't captivated. It was good, but it wasn't addicting.

No, I understand totally...you're a BATMAN HATER! :banghead:

Just kidding. Hey, we all got our own tastes! :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2164834 said:
No, I understand totally...you're a BATMAN HATER! :banghead:

Just kidding. Hey, we all got our own tastes! :)
It wasn't a Western. Therefore it's out of my realm of orgasm. I am pretty sure there are Westerns that I would talk about in reverent tones that you would find to be okay, but not great.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile;2164907 said:
It wasn't a Western. Therefore it's out of my realm of orgasm. I am pretty sure there are Westerns that I would talk about in reverent tones that you would find to be okay, but not great.

I did not need to know about your realm of orgasm. Thanks.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Ok. I just got back from seeing TDK.

Hostile;2164608 said:

I think that is where Nicholson was at a disadvantage. Very limited.

Heath was very good. I was not blown away by his performance though.(I know, I know I am in the minority here).

the kid 05;2164675 said:
you didn't like "wanna see a magic trick...?" my eyes went like this -->:omg:

Yeah... that was FAST and VERY COOL.

Hostile;2164821 said:

I dont think Heath's performance was Oscar worthy.

Agreed.

I guess its just me... I am a BIG superhero fan.
Ironman, The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight were disappointing to me.

Ironman was good - didnt like the ending.
TIH - just didnt like it.
TDK - was good to very good. I was not that captured.

The last superhero movie to really capture me via serious personal conflict AND superhero "stuff" was Spider-Man 2.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
joseephuss;2164957 said:
I did not need to know about your realm of orgasm. Thanks.
Oh admit it, you filed that info away to abuse me later.

Hoov

Reaction score
YoMick;2164997 said:
Ok. I just got back from seeing TDK.

I think that is where Nicholson was at a disadvantage. Very limited.

Heath was very good. I was not blown away by his performance though.(I know, I know I am in the minority here).

Yeah... that was FAST and VERY COOL.

I dont think Heath's performance was Oscar worthy.

Agreed.

I guess its just me... I am a BIG superhero fan.
Ironman, The Incredible Hulk and The Dark Knight were disappointing to me.

Ironman was good - didnt like the ending.
TIH - just didnt like it.
TDK - was good to very good. I was not that captured.

The last superhero movie to really capture me via serious personal conflict AND superhero "stuff" was Spider-Man 2.
Im a Big fan of the supervillian, the evil genius type. Thats why i thought this film was great !!!!
Batman is boring and dorky, no character - never did like him.

I did route for spiderman because the villians in that movie were kind of lame.
But i was pulling for the Joker all the way in this film.

In the X-men film, i like wolverine becuase he doesnt answer to anyone - even though he sides with the good guys. Magneto was awesome, and i could also see his point of view as to why he did the things he did.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I've seen it 3 times already. TDK is my second favorite movie (Behind only, obviously, Braveheart) and it blows away, IMO, every other super hero movie ever done.

Jack was good as Joker for the role they wanted him to play as but Heath played the Joker 110% better. It wasn't just the dialogue or scenes it was the little things like the facial expressions, the body language, the mannerisms.

I do wonder, however, just what Jack might have been able to do, back then, with this version of the Joker rather than the one he was given. I imagine it would have been very hard to top.

That said Ledger was amazing. I think he's Oscar worthy, without a doubt.

Lost in all that is the job that Eckart did as Dent/Two-Face. He was so good in his role and he sort of gets left out, or forgotten, because of how great Ledger was but he was simply amazing as well.

Absolutely an amazing movie.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2165079 said:
Jack was good as Joker for the role they wanted him to play as but Heath played the Joker 110% better. It wasn't just the dialogue or scenes it was the little things like the facial expressions, the body language, the mannerisms.

I do wonder, however, just what Jack might have been able to do, back then, with this version of the Joker rather than the one he was given. I imagine it would have been very hard to top.

That said Ledger was amazing. I think he's Oscar worthy, without a doubt.

Lost in all that is the job that Eckart did as Dent/Two-Face. He was so good in his role and he sort of gets left out, or forgotten, because of how great Ledger was but he was simply amazing as well.

Absolutely an amazing movie.

Agreed. It would have been great.

I think Eckhart really shined in this movie. He was more Oscar worthy to me.

I do have some questions though. Many have stated you need to see it more than once(HTown ;)..... because there are subplots/stories and its multilayered.

I feel like I got the whole movie first time around.. but not sure.

What would I look for in a 2nd and 3rd viewing. Curious...

Kevinicus

Reaction score
As far as Heath's performance being Oscar worthy...I can't think of a performance I've seen EVER that was better. Doesn't mean there weren't any, just means I can't think of any. And I know for a fact I could go down a VERY LONG list of Oscar winners that Heath blew away with his performance.

And I though there was quite a bit of humor from Heath's Joker, and a few other lighter moments with Fox and Alfred.

This is the first movie in a very long time that I'm excited to see more than once, and willing to put out the money to do so. Very rarely do I think about so many moments of a film for so long after seeing it. And, I enjoyed it more the 2nd time I saw it. There's depth there that might not be easy to catch on a single viewing. Time for the IMAX this weekend.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you are a Batman fan, THIS is Batman. Batman isn't popcorn nor is the story a happy one.
It really is

just

that

simple.

Personally, I hope that the current style of comic book/superhero genre/film-making continues to grow. It began with Blade in '98, continued even more strongly in '02 with Spider-Man and has reached an even higher tier altogether with TDK a decade later. Filmmakers are taking characters, which they're bringing to the big screen, as seriously as the writers and artists who bring them to life in their books every day. Christopher Nolan has set an excellent standard. Hopefully, others will follow his example and do not backpedal into weakly interpreted representations of the past.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
I feel like I got the whole movie first time around.. but not sure.

What would I look for in a 2nd and 3rd viewing. Curious...

Lots of little things....

Harvey in the hospital after being burned and seeing the coin. For a second, he thinks Rachel is alive -- until he sees the burned part.

Alfred burning the letter at the same time Batman is telling Gordon that the truth isn't what Gotham needs right now.

The Joker's "origin" changing everytime he tells it (a nod to "THE KILLING JOKE" BTW)

Man, there LOTS of things. I don't know what you've seen and got and what you didn't, so it's hard to say. I'd certainly recommend AT LEAST two viewings.

I'd listen to this interview with screenwriter Jonah Nolan: http://media.libsyn.com/media/creativescreenwritingmag/TheDarkKnightQandA.mp3. He really get in depth and maybe it will shed some light on it for y'all.

Hey, it's a great film in general and the best of its genre, no doubt.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Great movie, best Ive seen in a long time. Finally a movie that lived up to the hype.