My Review of THE DARK KNIGHT *Spoilers added*

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
zrinkill;2157517 said:
Someone else I thought played a great joker was Josh Koenig in the fan made film Batman: Dead End.

any Batman fans here who have not seen it ...... look it up on youtube.

The ending was silly but the overall thing was made well.

That was pretty cool!

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2157544 said:
No, I can tell you right here: No Riddler card, no alternate endings, no huge amounts of "extra footage." I promise. :starspin

i was refurin to my theory about dent/2face. I believed you on the riddler card/end stuff

L-O-Jete

Reaction score
DallasEast;2157120 said:
I guess the word falsely depends on how The Joker has been portrayed. For a time, Batman's creators reluctantly changed their characters, including The Joker, to comply with the Comics Code Authority. The CCA's imposed censorship forced them to showcase mockeries of their characters for 'society's sake'. With the passage of time, they returned to representing their fictional personalities as they were originally intended.

If not for alterations mandated by the CCA, the Batman, Joker, etc., seen in comics and television during the 50's and 60's, in addition to their appearances in cartoon and animated serieses during the 70's, 80's, 90's and this decade, may never have been. The original versions of the characters from the 40's who were re-adopted in the mid-70's forward in comics would have been the only representations for the public to love, hate or be indifferent to.

Heath Ledgers rendition of The Joker remains true to the version created BY its creator. All other versions, no matter how popular, are parodies, lampoons and spoofs of the Bob Kane's masterwork. 'False' may be a strong word, but it is accurate in this case.

Had they not censored the early Batman then millions of kids wouldn't have seen it and it would not be the industry it is today, to get the big bucks you have to go mainstream.
Luckily now it's so big we can go back to the original.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I just saw the movie and thought it was great.

A wonderful moment was the Joker in the white dress (with red trim) walking/staggering outside the hospital - shown against a white building with red letters spelling EMERGENCY. Beautiful composition, yet a disturbing image.

The semi-truck flipping over was pretty cool too. :)

Ledger played the demented psychopath extraordinarily well. IMO, his Joker was significantly more convincing than Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter. I wouldn't have thought that level of realism would be possible for The Joker character, but the interpersonal exchanges were played at a very human level. It was believable. His behavior made sense in the context of the character.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Well, since we're on the subject of a benign Batman...

I was wondering if HTown has seen anything from the new Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

I'm excited for this....It has Batman in an old school costume...blue and gray. It seems like the type I can watch with my kid.

Just wanted to know what the experts thought.

I would also like to see a live-action TV series....yeah, I'd be all for an edgier Batman if it came to this.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Bizwah;2159422 said:

I was wondering if HTown has seen anything from the new Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

I'm excited for this....It has Batman in an old school costume...blue and gray. It seems like the type I can watch with my kid.

Just wanted to know what the experts thought.

I would also like to see a live-action TV series....yeah, I'd be all for an edgier Batman if it came to this.

Don't know much about that new animated series to be honest as they haven't released much info. I know that that dude from THE DREW CARY SHOW is voicing Batman -- Dieter (I can't remember his last name).

From what I've seen, this might not be my cup of tea. I don't like Batman when he's paired with superheros and placed in fantastical situations. Actualy, Batman is my only "geek" passion and I'm not much of a fan of other comic book superheros. It's going to be on THE CARTOON NETWORK.

thekavorka

Reaction score
They should just re-release TAS. that was the only good cartoon.

I saw parts of Gotham Knight (the anime thing) on youtube. that was just terrible.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
thekavorka;2160089 said:

I saw parts of Gotham Knight (the anime thing) on youtube. that was just terrible.

The entire series is coming to DVD soon...in a few weeks.

GOTHAM KNIGHT was damn good. I highly recommend it! :)

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Bizwah;2159422 said:

New trailer: http://www.batman-on-film.com/thebraveandthebold_trailer-debuts_7-26-08.html

New image: http://www.batman-on-film.com/thebraveandthebold_aquaman_7-26-08.html

Too "Silver Age" and "kiddie" for my Batman tastes. But, the younger fans deserve their version of Batman as well. I'm certainly going to cover it and review the episodes on BOF. :starspin

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
thekavorka;2160089 said:

Dude, BTAS: THE COMPLETE SERIES will be released Nov 4th, FYI. :starspin

DemonBlood

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2161099 said:
The entire series is coming to DVD soon...in a few weeks.

GOTHAM KNIGHT was damn good. I highly recommend it! :)

GK was awesome. I downloaded it on Xbox Live last night.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I did not care much for Gotham Knight. I especially did not care for the animation style used for most of the bits. The stories weren't too interesting either for the most part.

MrMom

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2161508 said:
I did not care much for Gotham Knight. I especially did not care for the animation style used for most of the bits. The stories weren't too interesting either for the most part.

+1

The last two stories were pretty cool, but overall it was a big letdown. And I dislike anime style art as is, so that already had me turned off. I really wish they would've used the movie's same cast for voice acting. It really took you out of it, especially considering they kept propping it up as a connecting story from Batman Begins to The Dark Knight.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
My wife talked me in to going to see it last night. Overall a very good movie.

My positives:
Heath was very good not too over the top.
Gary Oldman as always is great.
Eckhart damn near stole the movie IMO.

My negatives:
Christian Bale as Batman is terrible...as Bruce Wayne he's ok.
I still hate the main batman vehicle and really hated the motorcycle or whatever it was supposed to be.

Best scene:
Hands down Heath walking out of the hospital.

Overall it was miles ahead of Begins. Top 3 of all the Batman movies.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2161626 said:
My wife talked me in to going to see it last night. Overall a very good movie.

My positives:
Heath was very good not too over the top.
Gary Oldman as always is great.
Eckhart damn near stole the movie IMO.

My negatives:
Christian Bale as Batman is terrible...as Bruce Wayne he's ok.
I still hate the main batman vehicle and really hated the motorcycle or whatever it was supposed to be.

Best scene:
Hands down Heath walking out of the hospital.

Overall it was miles ahead of Begins. Top 3 of all the Batman movies.

I havent even seen it yet... but I keep hearing about Bale not good as Batman and kind of thought the same thing in Begins... maybe its by design that he doesnt come across well as Batman... during and at the end of Begins... the debate in his mind... is he Bruce playing Batman or is he really Batman playing Bruce... maybe we should see him as awkward or uncomfortable as Batman... he is still kind of new at the "bat" stuff and persona....

which leads me to the Batmobile... I agree... dont like it... but he is in his infancy as the BATMAN... similar to what I said above.

Eckhart is good, reall good... like his movies

DemonBlood

Reaction score
I've seen every film Bale has been in and never noticed he had a lisp until you guys pointed it out. Now when ever I hear him talk all I hear is the lisp...Damn you CowboyZone, DAMN YOU!!!!

:(

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
MrMom;2163987 said:
lol @ bale bashing.

he's been superb in both films.

No kidding. I'm not sure he can really do a whole lot when he has the mask on since it completely obstructs everything but his mouth, but he makes an excellent Bruce Wayne.

Been a huge fan of his since he was just a kid in Empire of the Sun.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I went to see this last night. I agree that Heath Ledger is very good and the story and graphics are very well done. I like that the city of Gotham looks likes a real city, not just a place in the shadows as a couple of the previous films did.

I can't say I was blown away or that I was entertained. It's a very dark movie and there is no humor to it anywhere. I realize that is not the goal, but I like a movie to make me smile. While this one is amazing for the characterizations, I didn't find it much of a story beyond that.

I really liked Christian Bale as the little lost boy in Empire of the Sun. I felt his portrayal in that movie was incredible. A couple of times in this one he was that same character. The vacant stare, the bewilderment, the lost boy, no humor.

Heath Ledger stole the film, much like Nicholson in the original. No doubt about that. Nicholson's character was more comic book, but he was also a little more entertaining because he had some really funny lines.

I would recommend the film to anyone who is wondering if they should see it. I probably won't buy it when it comes out on DVD.

Just my 2 cents.