My Review of THE DARK KNIGHT *Spoilers added*

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2159863 said:
I don't like Batman when he's paired with superheros and placed in fantastical situations..

I hate how DC insists that all of their superheroes have to coexist in the same universe. It makes it damn near impossible to find a decent comic worth reading.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2170603 said:
I hate how DC insists that all of their superheroes have to coexist in the same universe. It makes it damn near impossible to find a decent comic worth reading.

Dude, not true... especially after TDK. Marvel is doing that with their movie universe. WB and DC is just going to make good films now and "DC Universe" be damned.

But in comics, DC has got the GD "Multiverse" back again. AHHHHHHHH! I thought that was done back in the 70s when I was a kid. ;)

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2171051 said:
Dude, not true... especially after TDK. Marvel is doing that with their movie universe. WB and DC is just going to make good films now and "DC Universe" be damned.

But in comics, DC has got the GD "Multiverse" back again. AHHHHHHHH! I thought that was done back in the 70s when I was a kid. ;)

I know what your saying but nothing pisses me off more than reading a batman comic and having Superflamer show up and ruin it.

What I am saying is that we need more Year One/Long Halloween, less of the Dark Knight Returns stuff.

DemonBlood

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2171126 said:
I know what your saying but nothing pisses me off more than reading a batman comic and having Superflamer show up and ruin it.

What I am saying is that we need more Year One/Long Halloween, less of the Dark Knight Returns stuff.

Whoa, you didn't like DKR? One of the greatest graphic novels of all time in my opinion.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
DemonBlood;2171410 said:
Whoa, you didn't like DKR? One of the greatest graphic novels of all time in my opinion.

Its alright, but like I said, I cant stand Superman.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
DemonBlood;2171445 said:
Ahh, but Superman gets the crap beat out of him in it!

True that, I dunno, it just diddnt feel right to me. I was riveted reading the first 2 books for the most part, but as soon as superqueer turns up, I lose interest.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;2171489 said:
True that, I dunno, it just diddnt feel right to me. I was riveted reading the first 2 books for the most part, but as soon as superqueer turns up, I lose interest.

I get what you are saying. I personally am not a fan of any other "superhero" character and I don't like the stories that involve Batman with the fantastical and mixing it up with other DC characters.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2171675 said:
I get what you are saying. I personally am not a fan of any other "superhero" character and I don't like the stories that involve Batman with the fantastical and mixing it up with other DC characters.

Only other "superhero" i like is spawn but hes more of a super mercenary as he fights good and evil

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
We went to see this because of all the hype and the promise that it was more of a crime story movie than anything.

I'm a lot like Hos, in that it didn't blow me away or anything. I thought it was just OK.

The over-the-top special effects just don't do it for me. The casting of Gillenhahl (sp) as Rachel was weak, IMO. There was nothing extraordinary about her and we're supposed to believe that Bruce Wayne and the all-everything DA were both wanting her?

I thought Ledger's performance was very good, but his Joker still pales in comparison to Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter as a diabolical, evil killer.

I realize I'm in the minority on this one. The reviews are off the charts and the money its bringing in is amazing.

It was a decent movie, but just not my cup of tea.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chief;2173132 said:
I thought Ledger's performance was very good, but his Joker still pales in comparison to Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter as a diabolical, evil killer.

I realize I'm in the minority on this one. The reviews are off the charts and the money its bringing in is amazing.

Interesting that you compared Lechter and Joker... I had to think about that after I read that...

I dont know if I could compare... not sure it would fair... but if I had to I would say Ledger maxed out the character... the character is just not as strong as Lechter.

Strength of cast and performance imo:
  1. Eckhart
  2. Heath
  3. Bale/Gordon (its a toss up)
  4. Lucius
Oh and I forgot to post this the other day. I absolutely hated the new Batman mask.... looks like he was storing food for the winter in those cheek pockets. I couldnt stop looking at that. Bad costume design imo.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
YoMick;2173164 said:
Interesting that you compared Lechter and Joker... I had to think about that after I read that...

I dont know if I could compare... not sure it would fair... but if I had to I would say Ledger maxed out the character... the character is just not as strong as Lechter.

Good points.

One thing that struck me about Ledger's Joker: he basically played the part of Satan. It was the epitome of evil. He worked like the Devil, in that he loved to create chaos and distrust and got great joy out of turning people against one another. The two boats with the regular people on one and the criminals on the other was classic. He wanted to see them kill each other. He wanted division and eventually death by their own hands. A Satan move.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chief;2173190 said:
One thing that struck me about Ledger's Joker: he basically played the part of Satan. It was the epitome of evil. He worked like the Devil, in that he loved to create chaos and distrust and got great joy out of turning people against one another. The two boats with the regular people on one and the criminals on the other was classic. He wanted to see them kill each other. He wanted division and eventually death by their own hands. A Satan move.
That's a good description. If you're not a Batman fan, it's definitely not the kind of performance you're expecting to see on the big screen. If you are a Batman fan, you're expecting a performance which emulates what a sociopathic, psychotic mass murderer like the real Joker could conceive, plan and execute.

I've seen the movie twice and I remember repeating over and over the exact same thing throughout the movie during the second go-round, "This is the Joker!" Ledger delivered. It was exactly what I was expecting. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

jem88

Reaction score
Heath Ledger was excellent. The fact that his performance is so different from anything else he's done just adds to the quality. He was equally excellent in Brokeback Mountain. As for the movie itself, it was good; definitely edge-of-the-seat entertainment. However, I do find it amusing to hear it called a 'masterpiece.' To me, the following are masterpieces:

- The Godfather, 1&2
- Pulp Fiction
- Downfall
- City of God
- Raging Bull
- Goodfellas
- Taxi Driver
- Memento

There are others, but those come to mind right away.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chief;2173190 said:
Good points.

That is interesting... Joker in Batman thats just as bad as OR IS the Devil. :laugh2:

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Chief;2173132 said:
We went to see this because of all the hype and the promise that it was more of a crime story movie than anything.

I'm a lot like Hos, in that it didn't blow me away or anything. I thought it was just OK.

The over-the-top special effects just don't do it for me. The casting of Gillenhahl (sp) as Rachel was weak, IMO. There was nothing extraordinary about her and we're supposed to believe that Bruce Wayne and the all-everything DA were both wanting her?

Interesting take, though I do disagree with your assessment. Art is subjective and if it isn't your cup of tea, it isn't your cup of tea. :)

I will say in regards to the F/X, there were very very few CGI shots in that film. Nolan hates it and will only use it when absolutely needed. The 18 wheeler deal -- all shot for real.

I think that some can't get past the fact that it's based on a comic book in terms of Leger's Joker not being as good as Lecter and the fact that it plays like a crime drama. There are some folks -- and critics too -- that expect a "comic book movie" to be, well, "comic booky, " if you will and to have a somewhat "happy ending."

As I said, this film blew me away and I had high, HIGH expaetations. Just because it's "Batman," doesn't mean I'm down with it. I RIPPED BATMAN RETURNS and BATMAN & ROBIN for being tripe and I haven't been very kind to BATMAN and BATMAN FOREVER either.

I still suggest at least 2 viewing if not a few more. Nolan and co. must have done something right as TDK will end up the #2 film of all time at the box office, is one of the best reviewed films of the year, and is considered by fans and critics alike the best of its genre. :)

:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Here's an example of a critic -- not a fan -- that didn't like TDK because it wasn't "Comic Booky":

"The centerpiece of the film is Heath Ledger’s extraordinary performance as The Joker. While I appreciated his work as an actor, the character he portrays is so thoroughly sick and twisted that I could derive no pleasure from watching him. (I’m sure the awareness of his untimely death hovered in my consciousness, as well.) When this famous character’s antics cease to be portrayed in comic-book terms and become tangibly, frighteningly real, the playing field has clearly changed."

Uh Leonard, have you read a Batman comic book in the last, oh I don't know, 38 years? Clearly in his mind, The Joker is Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson. The Joker in TDK IS The Joker of the comic books, totally.

It still shows me that despite some really good stuff, comic book films still have a ways to go in terms of being taken "serious."

www.leonardmaltin.com/

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HTownCowboysFan;2176367 said:
Here's an example of a critic -- not a fan -- that didn't like TDK because it wasn't "Comic Booky":

"The centerpiece of the film is Heath Ledger’s extraordinary performance as The Joker. While I appreciated his work as an actor, the character he portrays is so thoroughly sick and twisted that I could derive no pleasure from watching him. (I’m sure the awareness of his untimely death hovered in my consciousness, as well.) When this famous character’s antics cease to be portrayed in comic-book terms and become tangibly, frighteningly real, the playing field has clearly changed."

Uh Leonard, have you read a Batman comic book in the last, oh I don't know, 38 years? Clearly in his mind, The Joker is Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson. The Joker in TDK IS The Joker of the comic books, totally.

It still shows me that despite some really good stuff, comic book films still have a ways to go in terms of being taken "serious."

www.leonardmaltin.com/
:signmast: :hammer:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2176367 said:

www.leonardmaltin.com/
That review, in my opinion, is a ringing endorsement.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;2177234 said:
That review, in my opinion, is a ringing endorsement.

No doubt. Maltin, and most critics IMO are just lazy hacks.