My Romo Solution

Romotil45

Reaction score
It isn't a forgone conclusion that he would. However with his ties to this franchise I'd say he is more likely to work in the organization. Romo isn't a well liked guy with the fans of this team and other teams why would he be a good analyst and why would a network hire him with the they have painted him over the years?

It isn't about the money with Romo see above his comment about money that I posted

I think you greatly underestimate the respect Romo has throughout the league. Romos not going to stay unless Stephen wants to allow Romo to be GM one day, very unlikely. Romos NOT going to be with the Cowboys as a coach or any other capacity no matter how much you or I might like to see it. Just not going to happen.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is all premature and debate fodder. Until Romo is pronounced ready, we don't know what they will do. Assumptions are being made that once Romo is game ready, the coaching staff wants to stay with Prescott.

And no one knows what is in Romo's mind about being a backup or a starter somewhere else. We released Aikman and he would have played elsewhere, health permitting.

The one thing we do know is that if Dak remains the starter, we have the most affordable QB1 in the league and that affords us some leeway that few teams have.

If they have plans to have Romo in the organization in the future, releasing him to go to another team would not affect that. Our present HC went to the Giants in FA.

The only thing I know for certain is that no one saw this coming and it's great to discuss not only the implications but how this kid is "Mr. Right Place at the Right Time". What are the odds that QB1 and 2 both go down and we're starting a 4th round QB and are 5-1? And he got his starting gig in HS and college the same way and never relinquished the starting role in either of those situations.

The only player I know loading up the U-Haul for sure at the end of the season is Kellen Moore.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There won't be any signing Romo to a new deal after this season that's for sure. He's not going to want to backup Dak or anyone else, he'll be 37 and want to start. He didn't lose his job because of poor play so he won't accept a backup role. The only thing driving him right now is to win a championship so unless Dak crashes and burns at some point this season, Romo will be released or traded during the offseason. He's not going to want to be a backup so the only solution will be to allow him to finish out his career on a team where he can start.

Proof

Reaction score
Name a franchise QB who is a known competitor that took a backseat and was ok with just becoming a backup. I can't think of any player of Romo's caliber that has done that.

I really can't but I think it's a relatively unique position

plasticman

Reaction score
Romo's salary cap hit of 24.7m next year in untenable.....it has to be reduced and who is the starter is of utmost importance.....but these are just the scenarios for Romo.......staying the course is not one of them

If you say that Romo's salary is "untenable" then you are declaring that his salary "is impossible to be maintained". This implies that Romo's contract next year would be an issue regardless of who the starter was.

If Romo refused to renegotiate then this would be an issue seperate to competing for the starting position.

You may well say that Jerry. would feel a little cheated if he had 25 million sitting on the bench, even despite his loyalty towards Tony.
I am saying the plan going forward should be to keep them both because it would provide an injury proof insurance that the Cowboys would not be seriously handicapped by what appears to be an epidemic of season ending injuries to the game's highest profile position. I'm not predicting it will happen. Almost certainly, future circumstances will change everything.

What if a team determines they are a veyeran quarterback away from taking it all, a team similar to Denver last year?

That team would have a great defense, a productive running game, and eager, capable receivers....

That is a future possibility. But for now, keep them both. At the least, it would stregthen the Cowboys bargaining position.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
How does this work? Does Romo pay back 5 million in this scenario? Its hard for me to believe jeri would try to force Romo to give back any money
That was just one scenario where things get contentious......If Romo flat out retries without re-doing his deal he hurts the team...this would be the way to get something back

If you believe Tony makes 14m and DAL pays the full 24.7m cap hit this thread is not for you...if you think he will not give a penny back there is nothing to talk about

I came up with a solution that gives DAL cap relief and it gives Romo options depending on his desires ......that is why I didn't do a straight restructure and used a Sept 1st option bonus...it helps delay the decision but still gives instant cap relief....it doesn't help DAL to restructure his deal and then trade him......it was the same argument with DWare

If Romo loves the team and wants to stay he will also want to help the cap.......he knows the Big Boys need to eat and he has made 127m.....15m over 2 years is more than fair considering he was only due 14m that wasn't guaranteed.......he could get cut and get nothing

But if Romo really wants to start he has options too.....if traded he will protect himself and get 3/41m with 23m guaranteed......all the greats have finished their careers somewhere else....Unitas, Montana, Favre, Emmitt, DWare

DAL is 7m over the cap right now....they will carry over at least 5-7m but that is not enough.....they will have around 20 FAs including Mo, Church and Carr.....all the top contracts will be restructured and a couple guys will be cut or take pay cuts- Free, Witten, Romo, Hanna, Wilber....all in they can create 40m+ in cap space so it is not a problem

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cap Hit Scenarios...............2017.......................2018.................2019
Stays and plays....................24.7m....................25.2m.................23.7m
Restructures.........................16.7m....................29.2m.................27.7m
Trade in Spring.....................19.6m....................0m
Cut in Spring.........................19.6m....................0m
June 1st trade/cut.................10.7m*....................8.9m...............*(cap hit stay 24.7m until 6/1)

My Plan
Stays as Back-up..................15.7m...................11.7m..................7.2m
Traded after June 1st............10.7m*...................8.9m.................*(13m in cap relief in March)
Traded/cut in 2018.................15.7m..................16.9m

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cap Hit Scenarios...............2017.......................2018.................2019
Stays and plays....................24.7m....................25.2m.................23.7m
Restructures.........................16.7m....................29.2m.................27.7m
Trade/cut in Spring...............19.6m.....................0m
Retires*.................................19.6m....................0m...................*(could recover 5m from SB)
June 1st trade/cut.................10.7m*....................8.9m...............*(cap hit stay 24.7m until 6/1)

My Plan
Stays as Back-up..................15.7m...................11.7m..................7.2m
Traded after June 1st............10.7m*...................8.9m.................*(13m in cap relief in March)
Traded/cut in 2018.................15.7m..................16.9m