My Strategy if I were GM of the Cowboys

jujoboys

Reaction score
I would make it a priority to get Dak and Cooper signed prior to the deadline to use the franchise tag and here is the main reason why:

So I could use the franchise tag on Byron Jones. Then I would tell Byron Jones that he has 3 options. 1) Play on the franchise tag this year, 2) negotiate a team friendly deal with Dallas, or 3) seek a trade to another team. I am betting that he and his agent would opt for option number 3. We probably would not get a 1st round pick for him but I bet we could squeeze out a 2nd or 3rd rounder from some team this year which would be better than a late 3rd round comp pick in 2021. Also, we could choose to not trade him to the Giants or Eagles. We could kind of dictate where he goes. The only risk we take in this scenario is if Jones signs the franchise tag and is happy to play for $16 million a year in 2020. However, I don't think that would be the case because rumors are circulating that his starting price in free agency will average at least $16 million a year and he would be missing out on a lot of guaranteed money by playing on the franchise tag.

I expect the Dak and Cooper haters to immediately trash this thread because the whole scenario is based on paying those guys.

Sydla

Reaction score
I was once behind that plan but now I am wondering if it just makes sense to move on from him, draft a CB and bring a vet in like Chris Jones would will be cheaper.

817Gill

Reaction score
I would make it a priority to get Dak and Cooper signed prior to the deadline to use the franchise tag and here is the main reason why:

So I could use the franchise tag on Byron Jones. Then I would tell Byron Jones that he has 3 options. 1) Play on the franchise tag this year, 2) negotiate a team friendly deal with Dallas, or 3) seek a trade to another team. I am betting that he and his agent would opt for option number 3. We probably would not get a 1st round pick for him but I bet we could squeeze out a 2nd or 3rd rounder from some team this year which would be better than a late 3rd round comp pick in 2021. Also, we could choose to not trade him to the Giants or Eagles. We could kind of dictate where he goes. The only risk we take in this scenario is if Jones signs the franchise tag and is happy to play for $16 million a year in 2020. However, I don't think that would be the case because rumors are circulating that his starting price in free agency will average at least $16 million a year and he would be missing out on a lot of guaranteed money by playing on the franchise tag.

I expect the Dak and Cooper haters to immediately trash this thread because the whole scenario is based on paying those guys.
My exact plan as well. Good post lol

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak must be signed. Cooper should be tagged. Jones can’t afford him thanks to the stupid contracts handed out by the previous GM. I would bring back Brown instead and draft CB in the first 3 rounds.

jujoboys

Reaction score
I was once behind that plan but now I am wondering if it just makes sense to move on from him, draft a CB and bring a vet in like Chris Jones would will be cheaper.

My option gives you an opportunity to move on from Byron Jones. Instead of letting him leave via free agency and only receiving a comp pick at the end of the 3rd round in the 2021 draft then you have an opportunity to Franchise him and trade him this year. You could still sign another CB in free agency. The key is getting Dak and Cooper signed prior to the deadline for using the franchise tag.

We have $77 million of cap space and will probably get another $5 million if the players pass the CBA. Dak and Cooper's cap hits could be structured to where we are only hit for about $35 million of CAP space this year which leaves us with around $45 million of CAP space without restructuring anyone or cutting Tyrone Crawford or Cameron Fleming. Franchise Jones will drop us to about $30 million in cap space so we would have plenty of cap space to go after another CB while we tried to trade Jones.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Dak must be signed. Cooper should be tagged. Jones can’t afford him thanks to the stupid contracts handed out by the previous GM. I would bring back Brown instead and draft CB in the first 3 rounds.

The point of my post was not to find a way to keep Byron Jones but find a way to trade him and get better compensation than a comp pick next year. The only way to trade him is to franchise him and then allow his agent to find a trade partner. Preferably a trade partner not located in the NFC East.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The point of my post was not to find a way to keep Byron Jones but find a way to trade him and get better compensation than a comp pick next year. The only way to trade him is to franchise him and then allow his agent to find a trade partner. Preferably a trade partner not located in the NFC East.

There is zero chance that would happen. Zero.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

AJ Abouye just went to Denver yesterday for a 4th rounder b/c he's tied to a big salary. What do you think we could get for Byron?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They can EASILY afford to sign:

Dak, Cooper, Jones, Collins and Quinn.

EASILY. The idea that they can't afford him and that there are "stupid contracts" is totally a myth.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If I were JJ then I would hire a good GM and sit in my fancy sky box and drink. But during the draft I would want a pick of my own. Not a gamble on a second round every year. But one pick would be all mine.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
They can EASILY afford to sign:

Dak, Cooper, Jones, Collins and Quinn.

EASILY. The idea that they can't afford him and that there are "stupid contracts" is totally a myth.

I love you guys that look at the upcoming season’s cap money and think that is the situation in perpetuity. It isn’t. Further Jones will probably be in the 14-16 per range. It’s a question of value. He is not worth the money someone else is going to pay. How does that Josh Norman contract look? Lastly they drafted Chido and Lewis. Time to see what those guys can do.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Wouldnt we get a 3rd round comp for jones regardless ?

The 3rd round comp pick would be in 2021 and it is a comp pick at the end of the 3rd which is more like a 4th round pick. So say it is a 3rd/4th round pick in 2021. That is equivalent to a 4th/5th pick in 2020. Getting a 4th round pick or higher this year opposed to waiting until 2021 for a comp pick would be worth it. Plus you get to dictate to some extent which team he goes to.

jujoboys

Reaction score
There is zero chance that would happen. Zero.

You are most likely right. Right now I am just worried about getting either Dak or Cooper signed so the other one can be given the franchise tag. Getting them both signed before the franchise tag deadline hits almost looks impossible with the sense of urgency our front office seems to have.