My take on what is really going on with Dak's Contract

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It dawned on me yesterday during the idiot show what is actually going on here. Nothing has made sense all offseason when it comes to Dak's contract and why it wasn't done earlier unless you simply look at the numbers.

Dak is owed 106 million dollars on his contract. That isn't just fluff...through their idiotic management of his contract they have managed to put themselves on the hook for 106 million with technically only this year left. So they have made the decision to play this season on the 55 million dollar cap hit to try and get that number down to a manageable number. If they try and extend him now...that 106 million will have to be built into the deal and you will have a bad deal all the way through the life of the contract.

They probably feel the 40 million left is something they can build into his next deal and make it a manageable deal. All of this speculation about them possibly trading him or letting him play out the deal to let him go is completely wrong.

They want Dak and value him but their ineptitude has caused this absolute S show.
I am not sure this is all correct.
However I do like the dedication and the I am tired of this sorry Front office Attitude.
If you have a newsletter I would like to subscribe.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They are paying him 55 (66,915 if they cut or trade him) million dollars this year. Whether they let him play out this season or trade him.....they still owe him 40 million next year regardless bc it is an option year that has caught all of their bonus conversions etc.

They can't get out of this money.
They owe Dak Prescott $29 million if he’s on the team this season. The cap ramifications have nothing to with Dak. He’s been paid what he’s owed. And he has lived up to his contractual obligations. Stop making up idiotic numbers. The mindless nonsense Cowboys fans come up with is ridiculous.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It dawned on me yesterday during the idiot show what is actually going on here. Nothing has made sense all offseason when it comes to Dak's contract and why it wasn't done earlier unless you simply look at the numbers.

Dak is owed 106 million dollars on his contract. That isn't just fluff...through their idiotic management of his contract they have managed to put themselves on the hook for 106 million with technically only this year left. So they have made the decision to play this season on the 55 million dollar cap hit to try and get that number down to a manageable number. If they try and extend him now...that 106 million will have to be built into the deal and you will have a bad deal all the way through the life of the contract.

They probably feel the 40 million left is something they can build into his next deal and make it a manageable deal. All of this speculation about them possibly trading him or letting him play out the deal to let him go is completely wrong.

They want Dak and value him but their ineptitude has caused this absolute S show.
01255696840ad6652d14ab1016aa6818.gif

Flamma

Reaction score
I have no problem with pushing dead money down the road when you’re within a window to win, and they were.

My problem is they didn’t do enough of it. They were cheap in FA because they didn’t want cap problems later on. Left us short on the field in several seasons. Yet, we now supposedly have cap problems.
They don't want to push the money forward. The OP was spot on with his main point. Forget what they owe Dak, that wasn't the point. They owe the cap around 95 million. They didn't want to extend him including that 95M. That can be seen as crazy. So they're eating the 55M this year, lets see what they do next year.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If they wanted Dak he would have been extended.
Jeez, this is not brain surgery Ken.
There is no viable argument to keep this need to be carried bum QB around any longer.
The End.

Flamma

Reaction score
If they wanted Dak he would have been extended.
Jeez, this is not brain surgery Ken.
There is no viable argument to keep this need to be carried bum QB around any longer.
The End.
I hope you're right. I don't like the alternative. But Ken is right. Imagine extending Dak to not only a 55-60M a year contract, but you have to incorporate 95 million more into that? That's insane.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope you're right. I don't like the alternative. But Ken is right. Imagine extending Dak to not only a 55-60M a year contract, but you have to incorporate 95 million more into that? That's insane.
When they traded for Trey they were done with Dak.
Do you think they were surprised by his new choke job vs the Packers?
They knew re-signing Dak was a non-issue and would have to eat the next 2 seasons the cap obligation of moving his money forward.
Seems they are ready to do so.
Dak is old news now only a matter of him imploding this coming season (with lesser talent) to end this charade once and for all.

Staubacher

Reaction score
When they traded for Trey they were done with Dak.
Do you think they were surprised by his new choke job vs the Packers?
They knew re-signing Dak was a non-issue and would have to eat the next 2 seasons the cap obligation of moving his money forward.
Seems they are ready to do so.
Dak is old news now only a matter of him imploding this coming season (with lesser talent) to end this charade once and for all.
I hope you're right. It's past time to move on

visionary

Reaction score
It’s slightly more complicated than that. The number is 95m$, and it’s not all still owed to him. 29m$ is owed to him, which they can get out of as it’s not guaranteed, and the remaining 66m$ is actually money they’ve already given him but hasn’t hit the salary cap yet because they credit carded it in previous years.

Thats why if you traded him now it only costs 66m$, because you get out of the only 29m$ you still owe him. And then when a new deal is negotiated, Dak won’t care that Dallas takes the extra cap hits from the 66m$ because that’s not money still owed to him, so he’ll want a full deal on top of those cap hits.

It’ll be kind of like Dak is on the salary cap for 2 different contracts: prorated credit card bills you already paid long ago, and his full, new top of the market deal.
Shhhh….. please dont spoil what “just came to” @Ken