CFZ My Theory on Jalen Tolbert

Mannix

Reaction score
I guess people forget how good Gallup was pre-injury. Tolbert better be VERY good if he is starting job over Gallup. Because Gallup will be completely healthy by summer. Don't get me wrong I hope Tolbert is ready to become a starter in this league. But I'm not sure he is up to the task this year. Definitely not last year.
I didn't forget. He has never been better than a solid #3....nice pass catcher on the sidelines, but largely MIA on the other 90% of the field...JAG.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of the bigger issues is the old offensive coaches failed to taylor plays that fit individual players. They don't care who is on the field and what they do best they called the same plays regardless and that was an issue. They should have had some plays in the bag that Tolbert is comfortable running then expand on that during the year.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tolbert did run some good routes and he sure was open, but QB1 doesn't see him it never existed...happened quite a bit to other WRs too. Anyway, Tolbert gets a fresh start and hopefully Drummond n Houston too. I think Tolbert will get hyped this offseason and we'll know in preseason if it's true.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
My theory is he wasn't physical enough. I tired to closely watch his very few reps and at times he sort of shied away from contact, or tried to block only very half-heartedly. And if you aren't physical, you don't have much use on special teams. Which means you're inactive every week.

Not sure how much that can be developed, either. He is pretty slight of build for an NFL player, so maybe a year in the weight room will help some.
Or is this the newest draft bust controversy?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
yes,agree. I have never understood all the unabashed MG luv here. The guy has flashed but never been consistent. Tolbert just needs to show anything SLIGHTLY BETTER than he, and the kid will get reps.
Gallup is a fine JAG. No more, no less. If he were traded we'd be lucky to get a 4th round pick.

CWR

Reaction score
I don't know how it is that people who watch the NFL on a regular basis don't get that just being fast accomplishes nothing in the NFL. Tyreke was pretty much just a punt returner until he learned to run routes, read coverages and function within the framework of the offense. Damn never every corner in the NFL is stupid fast so just being fast won't get you open against them.

The scheme is being changed. Being slow won't stretch the field either. This team would benefit by having a genuine deep threat. I'm speaking of speed in reference to yac, though. If we are running wco and rub routes etc, it would be nice to have a speedster catch the ball in space. AND, yes speed alone isn't enough. That should go without saying.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The scheme is being changed. Being slow won't stretch the field either. This team would benefit by having a genuine deep threat. I'm speaking of speed in reference to yac, though. If we are running wco and rub routes etc, it would be nice to have a speedster catch the ball in space. AND, yes speed alone isn't enough. That should go without saying.
Oh I think we are in total agreement.. Speed is a wonderful asset to have.. But truth be told the Cowboys already have a sub 4.3 guy named Turpin on the roster and they have had several sub 4.4 speedsters over the years but never really capitalized on that speed. It's just not enough. Some of that has been on Moore's "everybody run a curl" play sheets. Then there's a matter of having time and frankly over the last several years our offensive line has not really been all that great about allowing the QB enough time for deep routes to develop. Most of the Cowboys deep shots have come off Dak moving around and creating. It's great stuff but it can't be a staple of the offense.

But I always come back to this: Get football players. Get guys who play fast instead of worrying so much about what the stopwatch says in spandex shorts and a t-shirt. Take note of quickness in and out of breaks and explosive acceleration with the ball in his hands. Who cares if he "only" runs 4.5 (which I still laugh when people act as if that's slow) if he can go from zero to 60 in the blink of an eye. It's that ability to heat up quickly with the ball in your hands that is key in a WCO scheme.

Reactions: CWR

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, there is the selling of the player by many posters here because the Cowboys picked him and many think they are the drafting demon of the NFL.

Then, there is the truth. He is from a small school and Jerry Rice he isn’t. It was always going to take time for him to develop and get the trust of the QB.

CWR

Reaction score
Oh I think we are in total agreement.. Speed is a wonderful asset to have.. But truth be told the Cowboys already have a sub 4.3 guy named Turpin on the roster and they have had several sub 4.4 speedsters over the years but never really capitalized on that speed. It's just not enough. Some of that has been on Moore's "everybody run a curl" play sheets. Then there's a matter of having time and frankly over the last several years our offensive line has not really been all that great about allowing the QB enough time for deep routes to develop. Most of the Cowboys deep shots have come off Dak moving around and creating. It's great stuff but it can't be a staple of the offense.

But I always come back to this: Get football players. Get guys who play fast instead of worrying so much about what the stopwatch says in spandex shorts and a t-shirt. Take note of quickness in and out of breaks and explosive acceleration with the ball in his hands. Who cares if he "only" runs 4.5 (which I still laugh when people act as if that's slow) if he can go from zero to 60 in the blink of an eye. It's that ability to heat up quickly with the ball in your hands that is key in a WCO scheme.

True and the greatest wco receiver of all time ran a "slow 40."

Jerry freaking Rice 4.71!?! Lol

kskboys

Reaction score
Small school tall guy.

Reminds me of Reggie Robinson. Hope that's not who he is, but comparisons are there. I didn't like the pick, but as always I root for all our picks to contribute.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Small school tall guy.

Reminds me of Reggie Robinson. Hope that's not who he is, but comparisons are there. I didn't like the pick, but as always I root for all our picks to contribute.
Wasn't Robinson from Tulsa though? The same place we got our stud rookie left tackle? Or am I confusing him with another guy?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Here’s my theory: he sucks and was a total bust pick.
Interesting concept that rookies have to be good in year 1 or they suck.

Good thing we didn’t give up on all the studs that weren’t great in year 1 over all these years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wasn't Robinson from Tulsa though? The same place we got our stud rookie left tackle? Or am I confusing him with another guy?
Sounds right. Tulsa, South Alabama, North Tiddlywinks, whichever!!!

T-RO

Reaction score
I don't think anyone was saying that. Day 1 starter? Rookie 3rd round WR's just don't contribute that fast. Very unreasonable expectation.
Not knowing if this statement on 3rd round receivers rings true or not...had to do a few minutes of googling.

2022 3rd round receivers
Velus Jones, 7 catches 107 yards
Jalen Tolbert, 2 catches, 12 yards
David Bell, 24 catches, 214 yards
Danny Gray, 0 catches

2021 3rd round receivers rookie year production
Josh Palmer, 33 catches, 353 yards
Dyami Brown, 12 catches, 165 yards
Amari Rogers, 4 catches, 45 yards
Nico Collins, 33 catches, 446 yards
Anthony Schwartz, 10 catches, 135 yards

In summary, 4 of the 9 had 10 or fewer catches.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Rd 3 to redshirt on a team with 0 depth at the position screams this kid aint it. I never liked the pick.