My view on what's happening with Dak

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I have zero doubt that the Cowboys want to keep Dak. Fisher keeps saying, well if you love him as you say, then sign him. Well, it aint that simple.

If signing Dak today means giving Dak 60 million per season, say 4 years 240 million, Dallas doesn't think he's worth that. I agree with that assessment. So why would they sign the guy for that kind of money when they think that is too much. So they let him play this coming season and Dak goes 11-6, or maybe even 12-5 again, and then he lays an egg and we lose the 1st playoff game again. You think anyone would give him 60 million a year if that happens? I dont.

So at that point, lets say he gets 53 million per... then it was a win for thr FO for not giving in to his ridiculous current demand of 60 million.

But, lets say Dak has another MVP worthy season and takes us to the NFC title game. If that were to happen, Dallas would gladly pony up 60 million per season. If all things are equal, Dak is not bolting Dallas to go play for city XXX. His agent isnt stupid. Dak gets massive endorsement deals playing for Dallas that he would never get playing for city XXX. So IMO, he would take the deal with Dallas over team X... if the dollars are close.

It is a win, win for our FO. If Dak stumbles and this team is mediocre and finishes at 9-8 or 8-9, the decision is now made for them. The doubts some have within the organization have turned out correct and thye simply will have had enough and they let him walk.

I dont want to hear how we didnt put enough around Dak if we go 8-9. So a top 5 WR, an outstanding young TE, a supposed O line that should be very good, again. Cooks is a solid number 2. The run game should be fine.... every year we see teams number 1 go down and some nobody steps in and does really good.

So again, I just think this is part of doing business. And while many say Dak has all the leverage, Ill agree...if we win 11 or more games and have some success in the playoffs. Less than that, and our FO wont want him anyways, and they then have all the leverage as the deal with be completed and they just let him walk. Criticizing our FO for not getting a deal done is nuts IMO. Because Dak isnt signing a deal for less than 60 million today, and Im pretty sure everyone in here agrees he aint worth 60 million per season.

One last thing.... Dak has tried to hold this team hostage at every opportunity. Mahomes could back up the truck and simply tell the chiefs I want this amount of money. There would be no negotiations... it would simply be done. Is Mahomes doing that to the Chiefs?

Praxit

Reaction score
..let the guy prove himself in 24'.

Its going to be a tough year, that I can see.

Just to win 10 games will be the par. Schedule is brutal.

Redline360

Reaction score
Dak shouldn't get a penny more then what Cousins got. People like to throw face value stats around but hey those two are damn near identical in the vast majority of categories. Plus you know Cousins has put up similar stats with far less talent around him overall...but hey dak tards dont want to hear that and turn an eye

But in reality he needs to be gone. Different argument can be had if he's played good to average in the post season but not when he's been one of the main factors year in and year out. He's been atrocious in the post season in all the losses

birdwells1

Reaction score
I have zero doubt that the Cowboys want to keep Dak. Fisher keeps saying, well if you love him as you say, then sign him. Well, it aint that simple.

If signing Dak today means giving Dak 60 million per season, say 4 years 240 million, Dallas doesn't think he's worth that. I agree with that assessment. So why would they sign the guy for that kind of money when they think that is too much. So they let him play this coming season and Dak goes 11-6, or maybe even 12-5 again, and then he lays an egg and we lose the 1st playoff game again. You think anyone would give him 60 million a year if that happens? I dont.

So at that point, lets say he gets 53 million per... then it was a win for thr FO for not giving in to his ridiculous current demand of 60 million.

But, lets say Dak has another MVP worthy season and takes us to the NFC title game. If that were to happen, Dallas would gladly pony up 60 million per season. If all things are equal, Dak is not bolting Dallas to go play for city XXX. His agent isnt stupid. Dak gets massive endorsement deals playing for Dallas that he would never get playing for city XXX. So IMO, he would take the deal with Dallas over team X... if the dollars are close.

It is a win, win for our FO. If Dak stumbles and this team is mediocre and finishes at 9-8 or 8-9, the decision is now made for them. The doubts some have within the organization have turned out correct and thye simply will have had enough and they let him walk.

I dont want to hear how we didnt put enough around Dak if we go 8-9. So a top 5 WR, an outstanding young TE, a supposed O line that should be very good, again. Cooks is a solid number 2. The run game should be fine.... every year we see teams number 1 go down and some nobody steps in and does really good.

So again, I just think this is part of doing business. And while many say Dak has all the leverage, Ill agree...if we win 11 or more games and have some success in the playoffs. Less than that, and our FO wont want him anyways, and they then have all the leverage as the deal with be completed and they just let him walk. Criticizing our FO for not getting a deal done is nuts IMO. Because Dak isnt signing a deal for less than 60 million today, and Im pretty sure everyone in here agrees he aint worth 60 million per season.

One last thing.... Dak has tried to hold this team hostage at every opportunity. Mahomes could back up the truck and simply tell the chiefs I want this amount of money. There would be no negotiations... it would simply be done. Is Mahomes doing that to the Chiefs?
29 years vs 8 years? I'm holding the one's that been behind the 29 years of failure responsible.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Better chance of seeing a Leprechaun riding a unicorn.
You literally have astronomically better odds of finding a legit top 5 talent in the draft at the QB position than Dak ever winning a Super Bowl in Dallas.

That cannot be debated because it’s been done before while Dak would be the first to ever do it with his baggage.

fivetwos

Reaction score

For the most part I agree about the status of the situation.

I don’t at all think they wish to move ahead without him, but they want him at a discount. They have little leverage.

It’s going to take a top of the market deal to get him signed, so why not just wait it out and see how this season plays? Makes little sense to do that now unless the numbers work, and Im sure they have spoken and that’s not the case.

There are several great reasons why Dak would or should take a slight discount….already settled here with new family, endorsements are likely connected to Cowboys, etc….and I’m sure there’s a middle ground to where Jerry can think he won this round.

I fully expect thats what will happen.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
There is a lot I agree with in the post, but what fun is it to highlight those parts? The part where I think the OP has it wrong is that another 10 win season for Dak is going to net him $60M easily and to be honest once the cap goes up another 10% next offseason I think that number could easily become $65M. For Dak to sign for Kirk Cousins type money means the wheels fell off this year IMO. I also thing as Cowboy fans we overestimate the advantage we have in terms of endorsement deals. I think Dak could easily go to a major market like New York, or even a smaller but high profile market like Vegas and rake in endorsement deals no problem. If the Cowboys are trying to call Dak's bluff I think they are making a foolish mistake.

The guy has been here for almost a decade with two different head coaches and even more offensive coordinators. If they don't know if he's worth locking up for another 5 years or not that's a player evaluation problem, not a Dak problem.

I think Jerry/Stephen deserve all the criticism we can give to them on the subject because ultimately they wasted opportunities to lower the cap for 2024 and address positions like RB and DT which don't require a ton of long term guaranteed money to bring in solid veteran help. Them playing hardball with both Dak and Lamb could ultimately be the reason this team is once again one and done in the post season as this team is pretty solid but has clear holes within the roster.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
He’s had 8 years to prove himself.

If he hasn’t been able to do it yet, it’s simply not going to happen at this point.
Matt Stafford says hello, as does Jim Plunkett.

Im not saying Dak will ever do anything more than he has, but to come up with some arbitrary number is foolish.

Im curious, what exactly is that amount of time they should be given to prove themselves. Ill inform the Bills and Ravens they are running out of time.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak shouldn't get a penny more then what Cousins got. People like to throw face value stats around but hey those two are damn near identical in the vast majority of categories. Plus you know Cousins has put up similar stats with far less talent around him overall...but hey dak tards dont want to hear that and turn an eye

But in reality he needs to be gone. Different argument can be had if he's played good to average in the post season but not when he's been one of the main factors year in and year out. He's been atrocious in the post season in all the losses
see that's your opinion he's better than cousins it might be a small gap but first of all cousins was coming off a major injury he's got a worse record in the playoffs and he definitely wasn't coming off one of his best seasons, Prescott IS, Prescott just proved he was second team all pro ,second MVP voting ,lead the league in touchdowns , I mean you're trying to compare the two you're wrong!!

again, he deserves more because he's done more in his career and even though the stats are close Prescott still above him, I believe Prescott's like 4 and one all time against cousins head-to-head as well...

So let's be clear your opinion is just that some people out there think he should be in the 50 to $53,000,000 range and they'd be correct , even though all players are overpaid and all quarterbacks for sure are way overpaid but when you set a market you have to put a guy where he belongs and last year is all we have to go by but this is a player who's never been part of a losing season when he's healthy show me cousins records on teams he's been with show me all the ones that were above 500 and all the ones below 500 I mean you got some of the greats like Drew Brees had three five and eleven seasons in a row Prescott not been part of one losing season he's top 10 and touchdown interception ratio... His resume is better, and I believe he's younger 30 and 35 , that 5 years ,I mean doesn't that also factor in when you're not coming up a major injury and you're much younger on what your new deal is...​

So common sense says all things considered Prescott deserves plenty of pennies more than Kirk cousins.. You may not like my opinion but I guarantee that most of the professionals out there would agree with me that everything I listed above makes him better..

Reactions: CWR

leeblair

Reaction score

They don't need him back even if he plays for free.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
For the most part I agree about the status of the situation.

I don’t at all think they wish to move ahead without him, but they want him at a discount. They have little leverage.

It’s going to take a top of the market deal to get him signed, so why not just wait it out and see how this season plays? Makes little sense to do that now unless the numbers work, and Im sure they have spoken and that’s not the case.

There are several great reasons why Dak would or should take a slight discount….already settled here with new family, endorsements are likely connected to Cowboys, etc….and I’m sure there’s a middle ground to where Jerry can think he won this round.

I fully expect thats what will happen.
What is a "Discount?" So you think 60 million is the going rate for Dak? I do not. I think hes asking for way too much... and since we havent a clue what numbers have been thrown out there, how can you say Dallas is holding out for a "Discount?"