My view on what's happening with Dak

khiladi

Reaction score
I’m not arguing on Prescotts behalf. I’m just reporting what our owner has said and what his intentions appear to be from those statements.

It’s not about what we think but what our owner thinks.
He also gave more credit to McCarthy and that he still thinks there is growth with Dak (meaning one more year to prove it in my view) and he also recently said Dak has been surrounded by enough talent to win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He also gave more credit to McCarthy and that he still thinks there is growth with Dak (meaning one more year to prove it in my view) and he also recently said Dak has been surrounded by enough talent to win.
If I believed Jethro was waiting on more success this season to resign him then I’d say we aren’t .

No, I think at least based on what Jethro has said, he just doesn’t want to look the fool for setting Market Price this year with a QB with his success or lack of it.

Swagger

Reaction score
If Prescott was worth what he wants then he would have already been paid. It's as simple as that. The front office wouldn't mess around with contracts with quarterbacks like Mahomes, Allen etc. They know Prescott isn't worth what he wants but they want to get some tangible reward for their money which means he plays this season and they receive a 3rd round comp pick after he joins another team at the end of the season. 3rd round for a 4th rounder can be sold as a win.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Prescott was worth what he wants then he would have already been paid. It's as simple as that. The front office wouldn't mess around with contracts with quarterbacks like Mahomes, Allen etc. They know Prescott isn't worth what he wants but they want to get some tangible reward for their money which means he plays this season and they receive a 3rd round comp pick after he joins another team at the end of the season. 3rd round for a 4th rounder can be sold as a win.
Then explain why the rest of these teams haven’t resigned their QB’s with contract expiring in 2024. They’re all waiting to see where the Market Price is going.

I seriously doubt the Jags, Packers, Lions and Dolphins are all waiting to see how this season plays out.

Someone will jump first. Jethro just doesn’t want to be first.

Swagger

Reaction score
Then explain why the rest of these teams haven’t resigned their QB’s with contract expiring in 2024. They’re all waiting to see where the Market Price is going.

I seriously doubt the Jags, Packers, Lions and Dolphins are all waiting to see how this season plays out.

Someone will jump first. Jethro just doesn’t want to be first.
Because none of those teams have elite quarterbacks either.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Because none of those teams have elite quarterbacks either.
Yea, but they usually still pay them like they are. That’s just the nature of the business in NFL. Franchise QB doesn’t necessarily mean Elite.

Swagger

Reaction score
Yea, but they usually still pay them like they are. That’s just the nature of the business in NFL. Franchise QB doesn’t necessarily mean Elite.
But I think we are seeing a change in approach where teams are far more reluctant to overpay for quarterbacks who aren't elite and therefore kneecap their chances of success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But I think we are seeing a change in approach where teams are far more reluctant to overpay for quarterbacks who aren't elite and therefore kneecap their chances of success.
Not many examples of this . Franchise QB’s are still being overpaid for the most part regardless if not Elite.

There’s basically two types of teams in NFL. One with a Franchise QB and ones without. Then you build around best you can. The greater the QB obviously easier to build around.

Teams are still taking risk in drafts over reaching and or giving up picks and players to move up regardless the percentage of bust.

The NFL is QB driven league. There is simply not enough Elite QB’s to go around. The next best thing will have to due.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I still see them extending him in TC. And then coming out and saying what we've been joking about them saying: "This is why we couldn't go all-in".

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
IMO, Dak needs to be gone. Second, he should not make a penny over what Kurt cousins is getting paid. $60 million is Super Bowl winning quarterback money. Whoever else signs Dak should have a ceiling of 35 to 40,000,000 and that is grossly overpaid too.

Sandyf

Reaction score
So other than Mahomes, which QB is worth the money. Dak will get 60 or more although it might be a little less depending on what Love and Lawrence get this off season. Lawrence agent is already saying at least 58 a year and he will probably get it.

The idea of not extending Dak is just bad business both football and team financial wise. There will always be several teams each year that will pony up. But anyone thinks Dallas is going into the 2024 off season without a good QB on the roster then you don't understand football. Any team would rather be in the playoffs or a shot at playoffs and winning a division than be searching for QB. That would be business suicide to throw away a good QB.

If Dak continues to gave 12-5 or 11-6 then he will get far more than 60 a year as a free agent. No true fan wants to be 5-12 and hoping for a QB in the draft. Dak will get extended and fans are going to hate number but it will happen.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So they let him play this coming season and Dak goes 11-6, or maybe even 12-5 again, and then he lays an egg and we lose the 1st playoff game again. You think anyone would give him 60 million a year if that happens?
When Kirk Cousins was a free agent from Washington, Minnesota made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football. No one thought at that time he was a top 10 qb.

When Deshaun Watson was available in trade, Cleveland made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football, despite the accusations and knowing he’d have to be suspended.

When SF traded for Jimmy Garoppolo, he only played 6 games there before they were forced to re-sign him. SF made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football rather than let him test free agency. No one believed Jimmy was a top 10 QB.

Dak Prescott’s next contract is going to be in the 60’s, whether it comes from Dallas or someone else. He doesn’t need to win MVP or get Dallas to the NFCCG or even win 10 regular season games. That’s the way this works; there are teams that are QB desperate and a little cap sacrifice is a small price to pay to get out of the dog house.

Swagger

Reaction score
Not many examples of this . Franchise QB’s are still being overpaid for the most part regardless if not Elite.

There’s basically two types of teams in NFL. One with a Franchise QB and ones without. Then you build around best you can. The greater the QB obviously easier to build around.

Teams are still taking risk in drafts over reaching and or giving up picks and players to move up regardless the percentage of bust.

The NFL is QB driven league. There is simply not enough Elite QB’s to go around. The next best thing will have to due.
I would include the likes of Jackson and Herbert as elite. People always bring out the lack of success by the Chargers as a stick to hit Herbert with but the reality is there's only so much anyone could do with genuinely terrible coaching, an awful defense and a horrific o line.

Hurts got paid but he played to an elite level in a Superbowl so it's understandable.

We have seen teams have buyers remorse like the Cardinals with Murray, Cleveland with Watson, Broncos with Wilson etc.

I don't think the Dolphins pay Tua unless they have a very strong season. I think Lawrence will get paid as he is one of their best players. Goff will get paid to a Cousins type contract.

The Packers are probably happy for Love to have another strong season as that would put him towards the elite level and they pay him.

Anyone paying Prescott $55-$60 million will really regret the decision. I just hope it isn't the Cowboys.

Swagger

Reaction score
When Kirk Cousins was a free agent from Washington, Minnesota made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football. No one thought at that time he was a top 10 qb.

When Deshaun Watson was available in trade, Cleveland made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football, despite the accusations and knowing he’d have to be suspended.

When SF traded for Jimmy Garoppolo, he only played 6 games there before they were forced to re-sign him. SF made him the highest paid player in the history of organized football rather than let him test free agency. No one believed Jimmy was a top 10 QB.

Dak Prescott’s next contract is going to be in the 60’s, whether it comes from Dallas or someone else. He doesn’t need to win MVP or get Dallas to the NFCCG or even win 10 regular season games. That’s the way this works; there are teams that are QB desperate and a little cap sacrifice is a small price to pay to get out of the dog house.
Aside from the Cowboys (if dumb enough) the only teams willing to pay Prescott silly numbers would be bad teams with no realistic chances of success. A serious team will not pay him.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Best option is to trade Dak if possible, but if what the Cowboy's would get in return is close to nothing, well then you move onto option two which is to let him play the season and let him walk afterwards. If the Cowboy's win the SB and Dak plays lights out in the playoffs and SB, then you offer him everything afterwards, but not before.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Aside from the Cowboys (if dumb enough) the only teams willing to pay Prescott silly numbers would be bad teams with no realistic chances of success. A serious team will not pay him.
What serious team is devoid of a QB? They’re all bad teams with no realistic chance of success. LV didn’t draft a QB and needs one, Seattle will probably need one after this year, the Jets are in a situation where if Rodgers retires anytime soon they’ll be stuck all-in and no QB, Miami hasn’t decided yet whether they stick with Tua or move on, NYG needs a QB, Pittsburgh may need a QB this time next year, Matt Stafford won’t play forever, heck if Levis can’t handle the receiver talent Tennessee has… why not get Dak?

All it takes is one.

Redline360

Reaction score
see that's your opinion he's better than cousins it might be a small gap but first of all cousins was coming off a major injury he's got a worse record in the playoffs and he definitely wasn't coming off one of his best seasons, Prescott IS, Prescott just proved he was second team all pro ,second MVP voting ,lead the league in touchdowns , I mean you're trying to compare the two you're wrong!!

again, he deserves more because he's done more in his career and even though the stats are close Prescott still above him, I believe Prescott's like 4 and one all time against cousins head-to-head as well...

So let's be clear your opinion is just that some people out there think he should be in the 50 to $53,000,000 range and they'd be correct , even though all players are overpaid and all quarterbacks for sure are way overpaid but when you set a market you have to put a guy where he belongs and last year is all we have to go by but this is a player who's never been part of a losing season when he's healthy show me cousins records on teams he's been with show me all the ones that were above 500 and all the ones below 500 I mean you got some of the greats like Drew Brees had three five and eleven seasons in a row Prescott not been part of one losing season he's top 10 and touchdown interception ratio... His resume is better, and I believe he's younger 30 and 35 , that 5 years ,I mean doesn't that also factor in when you're not coming up a major injury and you're much younger on what your new deal is...​

So common sense says all things considered Prescott deserves plenty of pennies more than Kirk cousins.. You may not like my opinion but I guarantee that most of the professionals out there would agree with me that everything I listed above makes him better..
See the problem is you look at the big picture without looking deeper. W/L is a team stat not a quarterbacks. Only people who believe this is those who watch the click bait mouth breathing analysts.

Dak got zero mvp votes so it doesn't matter no one gives a sh** about that. Wouldnt matter who the Qb is. Did he have a great regular season? Yes, he's my fantasy quarterback for a reason but no one cares about regular season stats besides fantasy people but hey if you want to play fantasy football stats before Cousins injury he had 18tds 5int. 1st in Tds, 2nd in ypg, and 5th for comp pct. Was playing great can't help the rest of the team was trash. Cousins has had trash OLs until the last two years in Minnesota and some of bottom tier defenses compared to Dak.

How does Dak deserve more when Cousins has done just as good if not better with far less talented teams? That makes no logical sense.

If you want to look at playoff records / team record kirk has played better in his losses then Prescott in his 4 starts. Prescott has had his team down at half and going into the 4th sometimes by 2-3 scores while cousins was either up or the team was much closer in points going into the 4th. 2015 Commanders only won the division as they got hot at the end of the season and the rest of the division was terrible. Truly not a playoff team and neither was the 2022 Vikings. Cousins willed that team into the playoffs even with one of the worst defenses in football.

The only reason Dak deserves more is because he's younger and Cousins is coming off a major injury. Now in the end it doesn't matter they both don't have what it takes so mute point

Last edited: