Myles Jack...

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
He is not worth the 4th pick simply due to the position he plays.

If these guys are all lumped together closely, then I 100% agree with this. But.....what if this is Luke Kuechly all over again? Kuechly was a football playing machine at BC, a complete man amongst boys. He was obviously going to be a Pro Bowl player in the NFL, but a lot of teams passed on him in 2012 because of his position. True story, his weakness on some scouting reports was that he was a sideline to sideline linebacker, not a pass rusher. Sure he made over 190 tackles the previous season, but it was sometimes 5-10 yards downfield. Mark Barron, Mo Claiborne, Justin Blackmon, those guys played more important positions.

If they have Jack graded as Derrick Brooks 2.0 and Goff/Wentz/Lynch as the next Andrew Luck then it is an easy choice to grab the QB, but if they have Jack graded as Derrick Brooks 2.0 and the next highest grade is Goff/Wetz/Lynch as Ryan Tannehill or Alex Smith 2.0 then they have to not overthink this. Make Myles Jack a Cowboy.

kevm3

Reaction score
I don't believe in that whole 'you don't take x player because of their position with this high of a pick' rhetoric. It's one of the reasons a lot of the better players have been dropping to the 8th - 12th picks..

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Lb is just not a premium position, like OG, SS, FB, KR, K, P, C, slot WR, TE, these are positions you just don't blow a top 5 pick on. Even if the player is a transcendental type player you still have to think twice hard because you know those positions and talented guys are going to be available much later.
As for Jack specifically, use the four pick on a LB coming off a major knee injury? Haven't we been through that? And we only had to use a mid second round pick to get Lee.
If we're not taking a QB at four, I'd rather see Elliott as the pick since he will help the defense more than Jack ever could. Or is Jack worth the four pick if you compare him to trading down and getting say Elliott plus one of Perry, Scooby Wright, or Striker in the late second or third round plus a monster DL or better # 2 WR? Is Jack better than having a comparable LB talent plus two extra picks high enough they could be starter material at other positions? Guess I'm just saying I would rack and stack my draft board where LB would be pretty low on my list for the four pick, ranked well below a good trade down offer. I'm not saying I think he's a poor player by any means.
Major knee injury? It's a torn meniscus. Torn it, recovered easily and I'm not an elite athlete like Jack.

Enlightened32

Reaction score
Thats the thing. Nobody knows for sure who is going to excel and who is going to bust. Back in the day, Tony Mandarich was supposed to be the end all be all. He busted. Hard. Your question is loaded. Of course you will take the "gem" over the JAG. The problem is that the draft is a gamble, from pick#1 to Mr. Irrelevant. There are lots of people getting paid lots of money to project gems vs JAGs.

You missed my point, was Sanchez ever considered a top 5 pick? My point was that I would rather take someone rated at our pick rather than to reach for "need".

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Personally, I want an offensive player at 4. That unit needs attention more

No unit needs more attention than the defense it's not even close. We have a lot more talent offensely than defensively. If Romo and Dez come back from injury and return to the players they've been and stay healthy we'll have plenty to complete offensively. The defense is loaded with holes we need an impact player on that side of the ball.