Mythbuster: Does Cowboys QB Dak Prescott have an Accuracy Problem?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only haters say he isn't accurate.
I’m not a hater at all, but I see that he has work to do on hitting receivers on crossing patterns. That’s really more of a timing thing though, and something he should be able to straighten out.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Zeke ran the wrong route, don't you know it is never Dak's fault.
Even if zeke caught it, it wasn't going anywhere. Offense called a man beater and the bills played in a shallow zone. Poor throw yes. But you can go back in time and find poor throws from the best qbs ever. So I just don't understand posting this. If you look at his entire body of work in 4 years this is the exception not the norm.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

Maybe we can bring Carr out of retirement?...or maybe trade for his brother...:popcorn:

Not only does Dak have an accuracy problem but accuracy IS his problem.

He checks all the other boxes. He makes smart throws, he is durable, a good leader, mobile enough, etc.

People will bring up the stats on his completion percentage but that's a factor of a lot of things. How much time he has to throw, how open his receiver is, making the right read, etc. The read thing is really underrated. He rarely makes "why the hell did you throw that?!?!?" throws. He finds an open guy and throws it to them, unlike many QB's who will just stare down one receiver and try to force it to him regardless of coverage. A QB who is accurate but makes dumb throws is going to have worse stats than an inaccurate guy who makes smart throws.

Regardless, when Dak does make those correct throws he is frequently a yard in front of them, above them, behind them or at their knees. Someone posted all the drops from this year and while there were some bad receiver mistakes, a lot of the receiver drops were caused by throw location. Dak leading the lead in dropped passes is just as much on him as it is the receivers. These guys are reaching up or back in traffic and barely getting their hands on it and if they don't bring it in, some jackass logs it as a drop.

Even when a guy is wide open, Dak misses throws and causes the guy to slow down to get the ball. This takes away YAC.

I haven't seen any legitimate stat that covers this. Every stat is a product of lots of different factors, many of which override pure throwing accuracy.

Last note: Dak also had a lot of accurate throws. It would be easy to put together a mix tape of him hitting people in stride. Anecdotal data doesn't prove much.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Even if zeke caught it, it wasn't going anywhere. Offense called a man beater and the bills played in a shallow zone. Poor throw yes. But you can go back in time and find poor throws from the best qbs ever. So I just don't understand posting this. If you look at his entire body of work in 4 years this is the exception not the norm.

But they will have a excuse for this. You can find videos of Aaron Rodgers and Russel Wilson doing the same.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not only does Dak have an accuracy problem but accuracy IS his problem.

He checks all the other boxes. He makes smart throws, he is durable, a good leader, mobile enough, etc.

People will bring up the stats on his completion percentage but that's a factor of a lot of things. How much time he has to throw, how open his receiver is, making the right read, etc. The read thing is really underrated. He rarely makes "why the hell did you throw that?!?!?" throws. He finds an open guy and throws it to them, unlike many QB's who will just stare down one receiver and try to force it to him regardless of coverage. A QB who is accurate but makes dumb throws is going to have worse stats than an inaccurate guy who makes smart throws.

Regardless, when Dak does make those correct throws he is frequently a yard in front of them, above them, behind them or at their knees. Someone posted all the drops from this year and while there were some bad receiver mistakes, a lot of the receiver drops were caused by throw location. Dak leading the lead in dropped passes is just as much on him as it is the receivers. These guys are reaching up or back in traffic and barely getting their hands on it and if they don't bring it in, some jackass logs it as a drop.

Even when a guy is wide open, Dak misses throws and causes the guy to slow down to get the ball. This takes away YAC.

I haven't seen any legitimate stat that covers this. Every stat is a product of lots of different factors, many of which override pure throwing accuracy.

Last note: Dak also had a lot of accurate throws. It would be easy to put together a mix tape of him hitting people in stride. Anecdotal data doesn't prove much.
The issue I have with commentary like this is you guys pretend like this issue is isolated to Dak. You can say the above about every quarterback.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The issue I have with commentary like this is you guys pretend like this issue is isolated to Dak. You can say the above about every quarterback.

No, I'm comparing him to other QB's. There just aren't stats out there to really back it up because completion percentage data is a factor of a lot of things. Personally, I think if you were to put all of the NFL QB's in a pure throwing accuracy competition, Dak would come out near the bottom. He just makes up for it with a lot of other things.

Dak couldn't do this IMO:

egn22

Reaction score
Dak has a real accuracy problem when he is pressured or when the team is not playing well.
If the Cowboys are beating up on a weaker team he plays well, too.
But when the pressure is on, he chokes and gets really inaccurate.
This isn't a stat. We've all seen it happen way too many times.
Led the league in comeback drives and wins. What else ya got?