Name a former Dallas Cowboy player you believe is the most underrated

CWR

Reaction score
Underrated nationally? Darren Woodson, Harvey Martin

Underrated by Dallas fans?
Dat Nguyen. Undersized. Was a Thomas-lite LB.
Hotel Adams-got ragged on for his false starts but was partially deaf in his right ear. Was a very good LT.

Glover was a very good DT here. Never came close to that insane 2000 season with New Orleans, but was a great FA signing.
Glover was probably the last really big FA signing I can remember. Brandon Car was never as hyped as Glover. He was awesome in New Orleans, unfortunately we were hot trash when he signed here.

gtb1943

Reaction score
He is a two sided coin for me. Yes, he came in & was very good for a number of years.

I soured on him for two reasons. A) seemed he got cocky & started trying to be Deion which didn't go well B) I don't know what happened but he straight up wasn't trying in that 2009 playoff game against MN. Giving up uncontested routes, refusing to play hard nose run support. If memory serves it wasn't just this game but this was the one where it came to a boiling point for me.
Strange I watched that game and noticed nothing like that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yep.....he couldn't buy an interception to save his life (lol) BUT could shut his guy down and they rarely scored on him.
He played through injuries his last year in Dallas and gave up several big plays.

Dallas let him go.

Then he went on to have a whole other career after Dallas.

He was also like 25 or 26 when he came into the NFL and had a long career.

John813

Reaction score
Glover was probably the last really big FA signing I can remember. Brandon Car was never as hyped as Glover. He was awesome in New Orleans, unfortunately we were hot trash when he signed here.

I know we still ran the 4-3 for a bit with Parcells, but it sucks we got him and never could build "around" him.
By 2005 it was the draft that officially converted the team to a 3-4 and Glover was a bad fit.

Reactions: CWR

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Mine would be Lousaka Polite.

I always felt he was one breakaway touchdown away from superstardom. The rumor is D Coordinators around the league were clamoring that he be drafted so they wouldn’t have to game plan against him. I also read that stop watches were adjusted to capture sub 4 second 40 times in the event Polite came to the combines motivated.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Underrated Cowboys over the years:
  • TE/WR Frank Clarke
  • DE Larry Cole
  • DT Jethro Pugh
  • DE Ed “Too Tall” Jones
  • Safety Dennis Thurman
  • WR Tony Hill
  • TE Billy Joe Dupree
  • C Tom Rafferty
  • MLB Bob Brueneig
  • LB Thomas Henderson
  • CB Everson Walls
  • Safety Michael Downs
  • ST Bill Bates
  • LT Mark Tuinei
  • G Nate Newton
  • WR Alvin Harper
  • LB Robert Jones
  • RB Marion Barber III
  • C Andre Gurode
  • RB DeMarco Murray
  • G Ronald Leary
  • C Travis Frederick
  • LS L.P. Laudocuer
  • K Dan Bailey
  • WR Cedric Wilson
  • RB Tony Pollard
  • P Brian Anger
  • K Brandon Aubrey
  • DB Jourdan Lewis
  • TE Jake Ferguson

gtb1943

Reaction score
He played through injuries his last year in Dallas and gave up several big plays.

Dallas let him go.

Then he went on to have a whole other career after Dallas.

He was also like 25 or 26 when he came into the NFL and had a long career.
I remember one of the big complaints about picking him was his age and how he would not have that long of an NFL career
I think he was about the same age as Darrell Green was when he finally retired; and he had been a starter right till the end

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I will say Cornell Green
Green never missed a game in 13 seasons, he played 168 games, including 145 consecutive starts for the Cowboys (19621974). He made five Pro Bowls at two different positions — cornerback and strong safety. He is sixth in career interceptions (34) in Cowboys history. He retired as a player in September 1975, and went from part-time to full-time scout for the Cowboys.

In 1985, he was named to the Dallas Cowboys 25th Anniversary Team.[8]

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Oddly there wasn't really a hot market for him that offseason, considering his age(27) and talent. I think there were maybe only 3 teams. Just imagine a player of his age, position and production being a free agent this offseason. He breaks the bank like Chris Jones.

Reactions: CWR

gtb1943

Reaction score
I will say Cornell Green
Green never missed a game in 13 seasons, he played 168 games, including 145 consecutive starts for the Cowboys (19621974). He made five Pro Bowls at two different positions — cornerback and strong safety. He is sixth in career interceptions (34) in Cowboys history. He retired as a player in September 1975, and went from part-time to full-time scout for the Cowboys.

In 1985, he was named to the Dallas Cowboys 25th Anniversary Team.[8]
Fully agree he has never been given his due. Honestly I say he deserves to be in the HOF.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Oddly there wasn't really a hot market for him that offseason, considering his age(27) and talent. I think there were maybe only 3 teams. Just imagine a player of his age, position and production being a free agent this offseason. He breaks the bank like Chris Jones.
absolutely. I was shocked we got him relatively cheap.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Underrated Cowboys over the years:
  • TE/WR Frank Clarke
  • DE Larry Cole
  • DT Jethro Pugh
  • DE Ed “Too Tall” Jones
  • Safety Dennis Thurman
  • WR Tony Hill
  • TE Billy Joe Dupree
  • C Tom Rafferty
  • MLB Bob Brueneig