Name a former Dallas Cowboy player you believe is the most underrated

EGTuna

Reaction score
Tony Tolbert. Was overshadowed by other names, but dude was a beast. He was so good in the SB vs Pittsburgh.

A previous poster explained pre-injury Kevin Smith. Agreed. Dude was a master at preparation and getting under WR’s skin. He’d rub dirt onto Rice’s socks and pants because he knew Rice liked to keep his fit clean.

bandfan

Reaction score
You have to make headlines and be a media darling, otherwise it doesn't seem to matter how good you were back in the day...

jujoboys

Reaction score
Lee Roy Jordan who belongs in the Hall of Fame. And Erik Williams who is not mentioned enough outside of Dallas Cowboys fans.
Big E could have been one of the great ones if not for the car accident that messed up his knee. They were talking about him on an Eagles' forum that I am a member of. It was in a thread dedicated to Larry Allen. Some poster brought up Larry Allen dominating Reggie White when White was with the Eagles. Another poster corrected him and said it was Erik Williams. There were a few Eagles' fans giving high praise to Erik Williams so people know who he is. His short career just kept him from being remembered by a lot of people. I read somewhere that he once won NFC offensive player of the week for shutting down Reggie White. First Cowboys' offensive lineman to win that award.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Underrated Cowboys over the years:
  • TE/WR Frank Clarke
  • DE Larry Cole
  • DT Jethro Pugh
  • DE Ed “Too Tall” Jones
  • Safety Dennis Thurman
  • WR Tony Hill
  • TE Billy Joe Dupree
  • C Tom Rafferty
  • MLB Bob Brueneig
  • LB Thomas Henderson
  • CB Everson Walls
  • Safety Michael Downs
  • ST Bill Bates
  • LT Mark Tuinei
  • G Nate Newton
  • WR Alvin Harper
  • LB Robert Jones
  • RB Marion Barber III
  • C Andre Gurode
  • RB DeMarco Murray
  • G Ronald Leary
  • C Travis Frederick
  • LS L.P. Laudocuer
  • K Dan Bailey
  • WR Cedric Wilson
  • RB Tony Pollard
  • P Brian Anger
  • K Brandon Aubrey
  • DB Jourdan Lewis
  • TE Jake Ferguson
I would add Benny Barnes to that list.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I will say Cornell Green
Green never missed a game in 13 seasons, he played 168 games, including 145 consecutive starts for the Cowboys (19621974). He made five Pro Bowls at two different positions — cornerback and strong safety. He is sixth in career interceptions (34) in Cowboys history. He retired as a player in September 1975, and went from part-time to full-time scout for the Cowboys.

In 1985, he was named to the Dallas Cowboys 25th Anniversary Team.[8]
He's #1 on my list. Great player that has never gotten his due.

Motorola

Reaction score
Lee Roy Jordan who belongs in the Hall of Fame. And Erik Williams who is not mentioned enough outside of Dallas Cowboys fans.
The late, great, John Madden, when on the broadcast of Cowboys games, always alluded to Williams as one of the toughest and nastiest OL players in the league.

Motorola

Reaction score
Blaine Nye
Founder of the "Zero Club".
One of the many, many men who have played in that profession, but whose career away from football defied the stereotypical "dumb jock" label so many fans have spewed forth over time.

Motorola

Reaction score
Underrated nationally? Darren Woodson, Harvey Martin

Underrated by Dallas fans?
Dat Nguyen. Undersized. Was a Thomas-lite LB.
Hotel Adams-got ragged on for his false starts but was partially deaf in his right ear. Was a very good LT.

Glover was a very good DT here. Never came close to that insane 2000 season with New Orleans, but was a great FA signing.
Flozell "The Hotel" Adams...one of the most underrated sports nicknames of all time!

Motorola

Reaction score
I will say Cornell Green
Green never missed a game in 13 seasons, he played 168 games, including 145 consecutive starts for the Cowboys (19621974). He made five Pro Bowls at two different positions — cornerback and strong safety. He is sixth in career interceptions (34) in Cowboys history. He retired as a player in September 1975, and went from part-time to full-time scout for the Cowboys.

In 1985, he was named to the Dallas Cowboys 25th Anniversary Team.[8]
Fully agree he has never been given his due. Honestly I say he deserves to be in the HOF.
Cornell had an NFL career worthy of HOF induction - especially since he NEVER PLAYED A DOWN OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Calvin Hill. I fear most fans know him more as the guy helping players with problems and as Grant Hill’s dad. Many of today’s fans have never seen his highlight reels. He had one of the most exciting running styles, like a galloping horse, high knees, twisting, leaping, hurdling, getting the most out of every run.

• Offensive Rookie of the year, pro bowl, and all pro in his rookie season
  • Rushed for 942 his rookie season after being drafted out of Yale as a great athlete and spending his first few days of camp playing LB and TE, but getting the nod at RB.
  • First ever Cowboy to surpass 1,000 yards rushing
  • Rushed for 1,000 two consecutive years
  • 4 time pro bowler
  • Rushed for 150 vs Washington in 9th game of his rookie season, but broke his big toe. After missing 2 games with a broken big toe, he played the final two games of the season taking injections in the toe before every practice and game.
  • He also set a team record for receptions by a RB.
  • After losing his position to Duane Thomas following a back injury and a torn ligament in his knee that cost him most of two seasons, he became the starter again after the team traded Thomas, and that’s when he came back to be the first 1,000 yard rusher in team history and repeating it the next season.
  • His torn anterior cruciate ligament in 1971 only cost him 6 games. He returned to play in the NFC championship game, but hurt the knee again scoring a TD.
  • Came back in 72 and 73 with those 1,000 yard seasons.
  • In 6 seasons as a Cowboy, he helped win a SB, 2 NFC championships, 4 pro bowls and 2 all pro teams.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Terrence Newman.

Fans didn’t like him because he didn’t get picks but the guy was shutdown for years.
I can NEVER forgive Terrance Newman for dropping a perfectly thrown pick six from Eli on a quick out which would’ve ended the Giants season.

As it was they beat us and went on to make the playoffs and eventually won the Super Bowl.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It feels weird to say, but Sean Lee. Maybe it's because he spent half his career on the sideline, maybe it's because he was stuck on a decade of talent-starved defenses, but he's a Cowboys all-timer and doesn't get seen as one. I'd put a healthy Lee on the field with any Cowboys LB ever.