Name a former Dallas Cowboy player you believe is the most underrated

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Underrated by fans, or by media?

If by non-Cowboy fans, then 2 guys standout, Harvey Martin & Chuck Howley.

Howley is arguably the most decorated player in NFL history to not be in the HOF (other than perhaps Jim Tyrer, who murdered his wife before killing himself).

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yep. The owner has criminally underrated Jimmy’s impact for 28 years.
Oh now you’re moving the goal posts and say it’s only the owner who underrated JJ. The same owner who put him in the ring of honor. :laugh: :facepalm: Wher are you moving the goal post next?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
So true. Tough call, pre- injury Kevin Smith or pre- crash Erik Williams. I go with Williams - he was just nasty. He gets it for all those games against Reggie White. Those were something to see.
Oh yeah. Erik was a beast.

But Erik gets some mentions amongst fans. Rarely hear Kevin.

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Donovan, Scott, Rafferty. Fitzgerald.....along with HOFER Wright and Ralph Neely they made those mid to late 70s teams hummm.....very underrated OL.

RoboQB

Reaction score
"The Goat" Jeff Heath
Daryl "Moose" Johnston
Darren (no nickname) Woodson

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Underrated by fans, or by media?

If by non-Cowboy fans, then 2 guys standout, Harvey Martin & Chuck Howley.

Howley is arguably the most decorated player in NFL history to not be in the HOF (other than perhaps Jim Tyrer, who murdered his wife before killing himself).
Chuck got inducted recently.
Way to late.
But better late than never.

Big D

Reaction score
Too many underrated players to name. From my early years I would say Preston Pearson, Robert Newhouse,

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
he WAS the one of the scariest DBs in the league.
True but he was never a student of he game, lacked fundamentals ........ always looking for the big hit. Never seen a player lose passion for the game as quickly as he did. But remember back then there was no rookie wage scale so he was paid a lot upfront money on his rookie deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's a toss-up between Everson Walls and Harvey Martin but I am going with Harvey. Oddly, his name is barely mentioned among some of the all-time greats. I read his profile about 12 years ago and had no idea how he was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Martin

If you lived thru that era neither were underrated. Beautiful Harvey Martin as he was coined was one of our most visible and popular players. And Walls was our best CB while he was here. Was he as great as Renfro , no.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Clay Shriver. JUST KIDDING. In 2024, I think if we are talking in present terms, I give you Charvarius Ward. DB now with the Chiefs. He showed he belonged here as an undrafted free agent, then I think we traded him to KC and hes been an underrated stud. In past terms, I give you Kevin Smith. Nobody talks about him at all. But until he had a career ending injury, he was all pro. He was replaced with Deion Sanders, and nobody ever talked about him again. But the guy was a shutdown cb. He had elite cover skills.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
True but he was never a student of he game, lacked fundamentals ........ always looking for the big hit. Never seen a player lose passion for the game as quickly as he did. But remember back then there was no rookie wage scale so he was paid a lot upfront money on his rookie deal.
In his prime, he was an elite S.

The broken arms didn’t help.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If you lived thru that era neither were underrated. Beautiful Harvey Martin as he was coined was one of our most visible and popular players. And Walls was our best CB while he was here. Was he as great as Renfro , no.
Op question who IS the most underrated.......not was. I take that as a former fans/media don't appreciate today. Shoot if we are talking during their playing days, Darren Woodson ( who OP chose ) was very much appreciated......ask John Madden (lol).
BTW....I did live through that era. Like you said Harvey was a well-respected player, especially playing on the same DLine with Randy White. If I remember correctly, he even had his own radio show. But today his name is hardly mentioned among former Cowboy legends.