Name Brand Or Not?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the information. If you ever end up trying the Pizzeria! style frozen pizza, let me know how it compares to your prior DiGiorno pizza experiences. Also, if you ever find a good frozen pizza. ;)

I don't have a preferred brand for toilet bowl cleaner...Do you have any recommendations? :D

Here's a couple more brands I prefer in a couple more categories...

Hot sauce (nationally available): Frank's Red Hot
dv6yWFX.png

Soy sauce: Kikkoman
XTZeq8U.jpg
Crystal Hot Sauce beats Frank's and Trappey's used to make one called Bull that beat them all.

I drink toilet bowl cleaner before "going" and kill two birds with one stone. I prefer Clorox with bleach because the others have an aftertaste. And the bleach works better than a colon cleanse.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Admittedly, I'm a pizza snob, having grown up in North Jersey, so I doubt I'll ever find a good frozen pizza, but if I see the one you're promoting, I'll try it.
The street pizza in the City is better than most of the others elsewhere..

And what's with these evil people and their pizzas with stupid toppings like bbq chicken? The real beauty of pizza is if it's made right, it is the simplest ingredients. Starts with a great crust and just a simple tomato sauce made from San Marzanos and salt and mozzarella or unsmoked provolone freshly grated. But not the grated stuff, all grated cheese is coated, some with cornstarch, to keep it from clumping and that does affect the flavor. The clumps are for noshing while the p[izza cooks.

I have made really good either flatbread or focaccia pizza but I get it from the bakery and not out of a package. Get a nice focaccia loaf and cut it in half horizontally and that sounds easier said than done to get it into equal halves. That makes a really good pizza and using a pizza stone or steel makes all the difference. The beauty of focaccia is that it has all of those little air pockets and you knw what goes in little air pockets? That's right, cheese. Lay a little cheese as the first layer to melt down into the pockets, then your sauce, more cheese and toppings of your choice. This is better than most pizzas I have had except at the really good pizza joints.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gluten? my gluteus.....
I don't know when this happened. All of the sudden there was this gluten thing happening. Were all these people allergic to gluten just sick all the time?

One of my friends has a grown daughter that is allergic to peanuts, lactose intolerant and recently discovered she couldn't handle gluten. The only upside is that she doesn't need a large pantry.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gluten free soy sauce?? Lol. I'd never heard about gluten 10 years ago, now gluten free is everywhere and everyone has gluten allergies
Tamari is gluten free soy sauce and since wheat is a major component of soy sauce, it sucks and is more expensive. "Hey, if we gotta take stuff out, we gotta charge you more".

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I don't know when this happened. All of the sudden there was this gluten thing happening. Were all these people allergic to gluten just sick all the time?

One of my friends has a grown daughter that is allergic to peanuts, lactose intolerant and recently discovered she couldn't handle gluten. The only upside is that she doesn't need a large pantry.

We used to have natural selection...... now we have food allergies.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The street pizza in the City is better than most of the others elsewhere..

And what's with these evil people and their pizzas with stupid toppings like bbq chicken? The real beauty of pizza is if it's made right, it is the simplest ingredients. Starts with a great crust and just a simple tomato sauce made from San Marzanos and salt and mozzarella or unsmoked provolone freshly grated. But not the grated stuff, all grated cheese is coated, some with cornstarch, to keep it from clumping and that does affect the flavor. The clumps are for noshing while the p[izza cooks.

I have made really good either flatbread or focaccia pizza but I get it from the bakery and not out of a package. Get a nice focaccia loaf and cut it in half horizontally and that sounds easier said than done to get it into equal halves. That makes a really good pizza and using a pizza stone or steel makes all the difference. The beauty of focaccia is that it has all of those little air pockets and you knw what goes in little air pockets? That's right, cheese. Lay a little cheese as the first layer to melt down into the pockets, then your sauce, more cheese and toppings of your choice. This is better than most pizzas I have had except at the really good pizza joints.
This "white pizza" crap has got to go. I don't even know what it is, but if it doesn't have a tomato based sauce, fuhgetaboutit, it ain't pizza! Call it something else, if you must, but don't call it pizza.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This "white pizza" crap has got to go. I don't even know what it is, but if it doesn't have a tomato based sauce, fuhgetaboutit, it ain't pizza! Call it something else, if you must, but don't call it pizza.
I do like a good white pie but I agree it's not pizza and does not satisfy the pizza tooth. You are right, gotta have the tomato sauce but just the right amount and who in the hell ever thought of adding sugar to the sauce?

I used to cook my sauce and added so much to it that it was more of a red sauce than a pizza sauce. When I started reading up on pizza from the guys that really know how to make it, anything I make to represent pizza got better. It couldn't be more simple. Drain a can of San Marzanos and either squish them up pretty small or put them in a food processor or blender, then add salt and stop, you're done. However, they did point out that if you are not going to go to the time and effort to make a real dough, then you better get flavors from other items so add to the sauce.

My older son did the Master Dough on a trial run and they scarfed up the pizza dough with nothing on it and he said it had that NYC dough taste and was great all by itself. My thoughts about making pizza were always that the dough was there just to carry the flavors of the sauce and toppings and it is just the opposite now.

That's why we see Pizza Hut getting all crazy about doing thigs to their dough like pretzel crust and stuffed pizza, they cannot mass produce the real Florence pizza dough.

You mentioned your brothers wife being Italian and a great cook and Italian was my wife's specialty but not pizza. Everything else was terrific but she gave up on pizza. It is interesting to note that the pizza in Italy is not all great. Every food guy like Bourdain and these great pizza chefs in the US all agree there is only one place that owns pizza, Florence. They are the true masters of the pie.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do like a good white pie but I agree it's not pizza and does not satisfy the pizza tooth. You are right, gotta have the tomato sauce but just the right amount and who in the hell ever thought of adding sugar to the sauce?

I used to cook my sauce and added so much to it that it was more of a red sauce than a pizza sauce. When I started reading up on pizza from the guys that really know how to make it, anything I make to represent pizza got better. It couldn't be more simple. Drain a can of San Marzanos and either squish them up pretty small or put them in a food processor or blender, then add salt and stop, you're done. However, they did point out that if you are not going to go to the time and effort to make a real dough, then you better get flavors from other items so add to the sauce.

My older son did the Master Dough on a trial run and they scarfed up the pizza dough with nothing on it and he said it had that NYC dough taste and was great all by itself. My thoughts about making pizza were always that the dough was there just to carry the flavors of the sauce and toppings and it is just the opposite now.

That's why we see Pizza Hut getting all crazy about doing thigs to their dough like pretzel crust and stuffed pizza, they cannot mass produce the real Florence pizza dough.

You mentioned your brothers wife being Italian and a great cook and Italian was my wife's specialty but not pizza. Everything else was terrific but she gave up on pizza. It is interesting to note that the pizza in Italy is not all great. Every food guy like Bourdain and these great pizza chefs in the US all agree there is only one place that owns pizza, Florence. They are the true masters of the pie.
I wasn't aware of the lack of good pizza in Italy, but it doesn't surprise me. At this moment (the one in which I'm typing, probably not the one in which you're reading this) I'm sitting across the street from the best place I've found in CT, and pizza chefs there are from some Baltic or Eastern European country....I forget which one.
Their jalapeno, sausage, and pepperoni pie ranks right up with the best I've ever had.

You're right about the crust, it all starts there. Bad crust=bad pizza. You should WANT to eat the nice, chewy crust, not just use it as a handle. Also, a slice should fold without breaking, and the end of the slice droops down when you pick up the slice. That's the best crust, IMO.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't aware of the lack of good pizza in Italy, but it doesn't surprise me. At this moment (the one in which I'm typing, probably not the one in which you're reading this) I'm sitting across the street from the best place I've found in CT, and pizza chefs there are from some Baltic or Eastern European country....I forget which one.
Their jalapeno, sausage, and pepperoni pie ranks right up with the best I've ever had.

You're right about the crust, it all starts there. Bad crust=bad pizza. You should WANT to eat the nice, chewy crust, not just use it as a handle. Also, a slice should fold without breaking, and the end of the slice droops down when you pick up the slice. That's the best crust, IMO.
Not the lack of good, from what I understand, but the Florence guys are considered the masters. They take it to great. My wife and I were planning a trip to Italy and the plans got derailed. I've never been and never will go, just wouldn't be the same. The closest I will ever get is authentic pizza.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not the lack of good, from what I understand, but the Florence guys are considered the masters. They take it to great. My wife and I were planning a trip to Italy and the plans got derailed. I've never been and never will go, just wouldn't be the same. The closest I will ever get is authentic pizza.
If it ain't great, it ain't good! That's a little pizza lesson you won't find in your books! :cool:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it ain't great, it ain't good! That's a little pizza lesson you won't find in your books! :cool:
Well, that's the difference in the craving. If I am craving pizza and I do not get a great one, not only does the craving continue, it increases sometimes.

Here's the kicker and I can apply this to everything. Had I not had great, good would be great. Let someone drive a Mercedes SL550 for a week and then go back to a Nissan, how even good is that Nissan now? Before, it was fine but now it's unacceptable.

When anyone plays that "what's the best _______ you ever had"? game with me my stock answer is "I hope I haven't had it yet".

I made the mistake of ordering these ridiculously expensive prime 22oz bone-in ribeye's and they're the best steaks I have ever eaten at home. But now, I have defined great and if I want great, I am going to have to pony up. I do justify that by telling myself 'I'd be paying that in a high end steakhouse and probably have a $12 martini and a $50 bottle of wine so I am actually saving money'. That's how I justify expensive hooch, I don't go out to bars.

Runny, I have reached that age where I play the "if this is the last ________ you are ever going to have, is it what you really want" game with myself. One day, my own mortality descended upon me and has made itself very comfortable in my head. It is a very weird feeling to go to bed and actually really think 'I might not see tomorrow'. The last thing I want to think is "why in the hell did I have the house brand'?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, that's the difference in the craving. If I am craving pizza and I do not get a great one, not only does the craving continue, it increases sometimes.

Here's the kicker and I can apply this to everything. Had I not had great, good would be great. Let someone drive a Mercedes SL550 for a week and then go back to a Nissan, how even good is that Nissan now? Before, it was fine but now it's unacceptable.

When anyone plays that "what's the best _______ you ever had"? game with me my stock answer is "I hope I haven't had it yet".

I made the mistake of ordering these ridiculously expensive prime 22oz bone-in ribeye's and they're the best steaks I have ever eaten at home. But now, I have defined great and if I want great, I am going to have to pony up. I do justify that by telling myself 'I'd be paying that in a high end steakhouse and probably have a $12 martini and a $50 bottle of wine so I am actually saving money'. That's how I justify expensive hooch, I don't go out to bars.

Runny, I have reached that age where I play the "if this is the last ________ you are ever going to have, is it what you really want" game with myself. One day, my own mortality descended upon me and has made itself very comfortable in my head. It is a very weird feeling to go to bed and actually really think 'I might not see tomorrow'. The last thing I want to think is "why in the hell did I have the house brand'?
Just in case you wake up.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Crystal Hot Sauce beats Frank's and Trappey's used to make one called Bull that beat them all. I drink toilet bowl cleaner before "going" and kill two birds with one stone. I prefer Clorox with bleach because the others have an aftertaste. And the bleach works better than a colon cleanse.
I can't recommend one because I've never had a good frozen pizza. I like the thin crust too and in a pinch I go for the Domino's Brooklyn which is better than their thin crust but still their crust. And I have been known to down a Pizza Hut pretzel crust before.
Gotcha! On ALL accounts. The llama was begging to come out on the bold comments.:muttley:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
daboyz, I actually did a frozen California Pizza Kitchen a couple of years back and it wasn't half bad. But you have to join the Democratic Party or it will self destruct in the oven. Not a problem for me because I have let it be known that I will sell out for pizza. I hate 'em all but love me some pie.
Never heard of it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never heard of it.
They're a chain and they kind of pioneered the thin kind of pizza and then decided to do frozen pizzas. They were very successful at distribution and got into all the major retailers when freezer space is at a premium. It was their restaurant success that paved the way, like Cheesecake Factory, PF Chang and Marie Callender's. While I don't care for frozen pizza, it is the best I have had of the major brands.

There are some stores starting to put together some fresh pies since prepared foods is the fastest growing category. Frozen ones are cheaper and more convenient but when I want pizza, I want a good one. I ain't into wasting the carbs.