Name Brand Or Not?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm willing to accept that most pizza is better than no pizza. But there are exceptions. DiGiorno, Tony's, Little Caesars, most gas station brands. I'd rather eat a Slim Jim.
Ever leave a Slim Jim in the car in the summer? That orange goo coming out of it cured me and I used to love those nasty things.

One time, we were on a trip with another couple and he's a doc. We stopped for gas and I got a Slim Jim and as we're driving off, I open it and take a bite and from the back seat a hand comes up with a pocket knife in it and he said "here, just open an artery and shove that heart plug into it and save the time". He turned to my wife and asked "does he have a lot of life insurance"? I lmao but did get the point. It was a week later that I discovered the backup I had bought sitting in the middle console with this orange ooze surrounding it. Haven't had one since or the desire.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Ever leave a Slim Jim in the car in the summer? That orange goo coming out of it cured me and I used to love those nasty things.

One time, we were on a trip with another couple and he's a doc. We stopped for gas and I got a Slim Jim and as we're driving off, I open it and take a bite and from the back seat a hand comes up with a pocket knife in it and he said "here, just open an artery and shove that heart plug into it and save the time". He turned to my wife and asked "does he have a lot of life insurance"? I lmao but did get the point. It was a week later that I discovered the backup I had bought sitting in the middle console with this orange ooze surrounding it. Haven't had one since or the desire.
I don't really like Slim Jims. It was a tool to emphasize my point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't really like Slim Jims. It was a tool to emphasize my point.
I got that but thought I would reinforce your excellent decision not to ingest those nasty (but delicious) things.

And speaking of frozen pizza, and you were, the guy that owns the Angelo & Vito's pizzeria in the area I used to live in Dallas is from Florence, Italy, and when I bought some dough from him I asked him about freezing it and he scowled at me. As best he could, he explained why frozen pizza isn't good and it's all about the dough and what effect freezing it does to it. It removes whatever flavor was there and the packaging doesn't help at all.

He's an interesting guy and told me I'd been eating pizza wrong if I was eating it hot, besides risking cheese attaching itself to the roof of my mouth like the Alien. He said just have a slice when I get it home, if I am really hungry, but wait and let the pizza come fully to room temp before eating another slice. I did this and discovered why they follow this procedure, the flavors are enhanced, especially the dough, and I could taste all of the ingredients. I have not had a hot slice since then.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I got that but thought I would reinforce your excellent decision not to ingest those nasty (but delicious) things.

And speaking of frozen pizza, and you were, the guy that owns the Angelo & Vito's pizzeria in the area I used to live in Dallas is from Florence, Italy, and when I bought some dough from him I asked him about freezing it and he scowled at me. As best he could, he explained why frozen pizza isn't good and it's all about the dough and what effect freezing it does to it. It removes whatever flavor was there and the packaging doesn't help at all.

He's an interesting guy and told me I'd been eating pizza wrong if I was eating it hot, besides risking cheese attaching itself to the roof of my mouth like the Alien. He said just have a slice when I get it home, if I am really hungry, but wait and let the pizza come fully to room temp before eating another slice. I did this and discovered why they follow this procedure, the flavors are enhanced, especially the dough, and I could taste all of the ingredients. I have not had a hot slice since then.
So there is science behind the deliciousness that is cold pizza

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So there is science behind the deliciousness that is cold pizza
Evidently there is but I prefer it at room temp but can do cold.

I can't find even decent pizza where I live now so I am going to start making it myself. I bought all the ingredients including the set up to turn my gas grill into a pizza oven. In Search of the Perfect Pie is my newest cause. Hungry kids and lost pets can wait.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Evidently there is but I prefer it at room temp but can do cold.

I can't find even decent pizza where I live now so I am going to start making it myself. I bought all the ingredients including the set up to turn my gas grill into a pizza oven. In Search of the Perfect Pie is my newest cause. Hungry kids and lost pets can wait.
Good luck, CC. My brother's girlfriend is the best cook I've ever known...and Italian...and her pizza is average at best.
There's an art to pizza, and only a true pizza artiste can do it right.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good luck, CC. My brother's girlfriend is the best cook I've ever known...and Italian...and her pizza is average at best.
There's an art to pizza, and only a true pizza artiste can do it right.
While I do agree about the artistic part, I've got The Pizza Bible and it's all about science of the right products and how and when to treat them. It helps if one has the right oven but I am going after this because two people I know did his Master's Dough and said it was the best they'd ever made and better than only a couple of great pizza joints they've eaten in and interesting enough, one of those restaurants was Tony Gemignani's, the 11 time World Pizza Champ and author of the book.

The key is to follow the steps exactly and do not vary from his instruction. The guy that owns Angelo & Vito's in Dallas, the closest I've found to NY pizza, did let me in one little secret that these pizza artistes have been hiding for years, letting the dough develop in 48-72 hours in the frig creates magic.

Both of these people told me they really didn't need much on the pizza, the crust was that good. And that's the mark of a real pizza. I used to pile crap on to hide the flavorless crust. I also cooked my sauce, a no no.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
While I do agree about the artistic part, I've got The Pizza Bible and it's all about science of the right products and how and when to treat them. It helps if one has the right oven but I am going after this because two people I know did his Master's Dough and said it was the best they'd ever made and better than only a couple of great pizza joints they've eaten in and interesting enough, one of those restaurants was Tony Gemignani's, the 11 time World Pizza Champ and author of the book.

The key is to follow the steps exactly and do not vary from his instruction. The guy that owns Angelo & Vito's in Dallas, the closest I've found to NY pizza, did let me in one little secret that these pizza artistes have been hiding for years, letting the dough develop in 48-72 hours in the frig creates magic.

Both of these people told me they really didn't need much on the pizza, the crust was that good. And that's the mark of a real pizza. I used to pile crap on to hide the flavorless crust. I also cooked my sauce, a no no.
Keep me updated!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep me updated!
I will and I will be honest about it. I am not prideful about my cooking, I screw up, I admit it and toss it. Prideful cooks have to eat the crap they screw up. If I am cooking something new, I always have a fall back position at the ready.

Problem is if I screw the pizza up, I've got no fall back and if anyone is in the mood for pizza, and I mean REALLY in the mood, nothing else will suffice. If I score, I am going to load in provisions for years because I will eat so much I won't be able to get out the door to shop. The neighborhood kids will refer to me as The Pizza Goblin. I will have to have a speaker installed outside to yell at them to get off my lawn.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

What store bought frozen pizza do you suggest CC? I purchase Ellios for a snack, but never purchased a regular pizza. Keep in mind I like thin crust.

Little Caesar's has $5 large pizza which is cheaper then store frozen but who wants that when you're grocery shopping.:huh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What store bought frozen pizza do you suggest CC? I purchase Ellios for a snack, but never purchased a regular pizza. Keep in mind I like thin crust.

Little Caesar's has $5 large pizza which is cheaper then store frozen but who wants that when you're grocery shopping.:huh:
I can't recommend one because I've never had a good frozen pizza. I like the thin crust too and in a pinch I go for the Domino's Brooklyn which is better than their thin crust but still their crust. And I have been known to down a Pizza Hut pretzel crust before.

FineFan

Reaction score
Harley Davidson, need I say more?
LebWSwz.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

daboyz, I actually did a frozen California Pizza Kitchen a couple of years back and it wasn't half bad. But you have to join the Democratic Party or it will self destruct in the oven. Not a problem for me because I have let it be known that I will sell out for pizza. I hate 'em all but love me some pie.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Frozen pizza: DiGiorno (Pizzeria!) Disgusting.
DiGiorno is DiSgusting
I will always prefer a freshly baked pizza over a frozen pizza, but unfortunately sometimes a freshly baked pizza isn't an option for me. Pizzeria! is currently the frozen pizza brand I rely on for those times.

Have either of you specifically tried the Pizzeria! variety of DiGiorno?
GHOlCzC.png

Since frozen pizzas are cooked in two stages, at the factory and finished at home. I prefer the Pizzeria! brand because I can tell right out of the box that it is cooked more thoroughly at the factory, producing a much better crust when it is finished at home. Here's a comparison picture of a frozen California Pizza Kitchen crust on the left compared to frozen Pizzeria! crust on the right:
8xP56RK.jpg

What frozen pizza brand do either you of recommend in a pinch? I've tried to find the best frozen pizza and thought I found the best available with Pizzeria! but if you know of a better brand, let me know.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I will always prefer a freshly baked pizza over a frozen pizza, but unfortunately sometimes a freshly baked pizza isn't an option for me. And for those times I have to rely on the frozen pizza brand Pizzeria!

Have either of you specifically tried the Pizzeria! variety of DiGiorno?
GHOlCzC.png

Since frozen pizzas are cooked in two stages, at the factory and finished at home. I prefer the Pizzeria! brand because I can tell right out of the box that it is cooked more thoroughly at the factory, producing a much better crust at home when it is finished at home. Here's a comparison picture of a frozen California Pizza Kitchen crust on the left compared to frozen Pizzeria! crust on the right:
8xP56RK.jpg

What frozen pizza brand do either you of recommend in a pinch? I've tried to find the best frozen pizza and thought I found the best available with Pizzeria! but if you know of a better brand, let me know.
There is no good frozen pizza, but if I want something that reminds me.of pizza, I'll get French bread pizza.
To answer your question, no, I haven't tried that particular DiGiorno pizza style, but the DiGiirno pizzas I have had are nearly inedible.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
There is no good frozen pizza, but if I want something that reminds me.of pizza, I'll get French bread pizza.
To answer your question, no, I haven't tried that particular DiGiorno pizza style, but the DiGiirno pizzas I have had are nearly inedible.
Thanks for the information. If you ever end up trying the Pizzeria! style frozen pizza, let me know how it compares to your prior DiGiorno pizza experiences. Also, if you ever find a good frozen pizza. ;)

OH YEAH? What about your toilet bowl cleaner?
I don't have a preferred brand for toilet bowl cleaner...Do you have any recommendations? :D

Here's a couple more brands I prefer in a couple more categories...

Hot sauce (nationally available): Frank's Red Hot
dv6yWFX.png

Soy sauce: Kikkoman
XTZeq8U.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks for the information. If you ever end up trying the Pizzeria! style frozen pizza, let me know how it compares to your prior DiGiorno pizza experiences. Also, if you ever find a good frozen pizza. ;)

I don't have a preferred brand for toilet bowl cleaner...Do you have any recommendations? :D

Here's a couple more brands I prefer in a couple more categories...

Hot sauce (nationally available): Frank's Red Hot
dv6yWFX.png

Soy sauce: Kikkoman
XTZeq8U.jpg
Admittedly, I'm a pizza snob, having grown up in North Jersey, so I doubt I'll ever find a good frozen pizza, but if I see the one you're promoting, I'll try it.