Nate just said go after the pass rusher, not the guard.

burmafrd

Reaction score
BAT;4435071 said:
Thank God for Nate. At least his expertise cannot be drowned out by the DeCastro at all costs crowd.

Even a former guard understands where the real need lies. Especially with the first pick.

yeah and Deion was so smart about CBs.

Fail.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4434611 said:
I can honestly say I never go into a draft with only 1 option. DeCastro is just one of them. Frankly I don't get how anyone can go into a draft thinking 1 player or bust mind set.

Only issue I have had with some are those saying you shouldn’t take DeCastro.

As a founding member of the DeCastroista Revolution, I can tell you that this issue of DeCastro or Death comes up at the meetings all the time and has even led to fistfights in the hallways. It's such a shame because, if you stop and think about it, it's just a game and we're all fans of the same club.

Having said that, .... VIVA DECASTRO!

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
BAT;4435071 said:
Thank God for Nate. At least his expertise cannot be drowned out by the DeCastro at all costs crowd.

Even a former guard understands where the real need lies. Especially with the first pick.

Yup...I'm starting to wonder how many pro-DeCastro people just want him because they have Romo in their fantasy league. We should be wanting someone who will blow Eli and Vick up once in awhile rather than watching them pick us apart every year because the main difference between these teams is the pass rush. Eagles average oline, Giants average oline....Eagles ferocious pass rush, Giants even better, Cowboys average thanks to mostly one guy, otherwise it would be embarrasing.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4434589 said:
Bang the drum Nate but unfortunately, it probably won't matter. The Cowboy Fan Base wants DeCastro. That may not be what the team is thinking but I doubt we will change the collective minds of the Fan Base. I think most are set on DeCastro or Bust mode.

I'm one who definately wants him. I've said that all along.

But I've also said all along that if they improve the center spot and get someone like Grubbs or something that I'd be fine with not getting DeCastro and instead using the draft for mostly defense.

Grubbs, Wells/Myers, and Carr in FA would be huge, IMO, and would allow the Cowboys to focus on D-Line and LB pressure for the D while still adding some depth at the O-line and secondary positions.

I'd be fine with something like that if it were at all possible. I'm not a cap genius so I'm not sure what kind of creative things they can do to get it all done but if theres a way to get it done like that i'd be fine with that.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I don't want to speak for other DeCastroistas, but my support for the guy is not in fact unconditional. There are several players I really like and circumstances under which I'd be okay if we passed on the guy. If, for example, we grabbed Nicks in FA and had plans to draft an OC in the draft, I'd support taking somebody else. If they grabbed an OC in FA and then just straight up chose somebody else on my list -- Poe especially -- over DeCastro, I wouldn't be that upset. And if they really think Arkin and Nagy and the rest of the motley crew can handle it and they truly believe that one of these pass rushers is a blue chipper then l might grumble and pout for a few days but I would most certainly get over it.

It seems to me, though, right now at this time that the counter-revolutionaries are 100% drafting for need rather than BPA. My interest in DeCastro is founded first and foremost on the belief that he will likely be the BPA and at a position of need.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4435188 said:
As a founding member of the DeCastroista Revolution, I can tell you that this issue of DeCastro or Death comes up at the meetings all the time and has even led to fistfights in the hallways. It's such a shame because, if you stop and think about it, it's just a game and we're all fans of the same club.

Having said that, .... VIVA DECASTRO!

That is what happens when people have closed minds. I like DeCastro and would be more than happy to get a player of his caliber out of the draft. However there are some other good players out there and other options.

What I don't want is to reach or gamble on a 1st rd pick, if you are unsure about a guy don't take him this pick is way to important and hopefully the player coming out of the 1st rd is a player who we can continue to build for the long haul.

What bothers me is people treating the draft like FA, we need a pass rusher so lets gamble and take one. If the pass rushers in this draft are not grading out as high as in other season then don't do it.

Aven8

Reaction score
What some people in the Decastro camp are forgetting is the BPA approach. If Ingram, Poe, Hightower, and Kuelchy are there at 14 I'm not sure Decastro is the BPA out of that bunch.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Aven8;4435257 said:
What some people in the Decastro camp are forgetting is the BPA approach. If Ingram, Poe, Hightower, and Kuelchy are there at 14 I'm not sure Decastro is the BPA out of that bunch.

It depends on how they grade out, Mayock for instance has DeCastro grading out higher at 92.5 while Ingram grade is a 90.5, Kuechly 91, Hightower 85.0 and Poe 89

Granted this is Mayock grades and I'm sure other teams will have different grades but when you say BPA DeCastro grades out with the best of them

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Aven8;4435257 said:

depends on who's draft board your looking at.

Mine Ingram is the only one in front of DeCastro.
Wes Bunting big board DeCastro is #1 out of those 5.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4435265 said:
depends on who's draft board your looking at.

Mine Ingram is the only one in front of DeCastro.
Wes Bunting big board DeCastro is #1 out of those 5.

Funny in most years there would not be a G grading out this high and thus we would not be talking G at 14. DeCastro is a bit of an exception to the so called rule.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Doomsday101;4435274 said:
Funny in most years there would not be a G grading out this high and thus we would not be talking G at 14. DeCastro is a bit of an exception to the so called rule.

right on, He is far and away better than Pouncey who went 15 last year. SO how is 14 a bad place to pick a better player at aposition of major need.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4435278 said:
right on, He is far and away better than Pouncey who went 15 last year. SO how is 14 a bad place to pick a better player at aposition of major need.

I agree. If there were DE/OLB grading out higher I would be singing their praises as our pick. There are some as you mentioned Ingram and I would not be unhappy with that pick. We may differ on Kirkpatrick but I would be happy with that pick. I would not be happy about dallas reaching for late 1st to 2rd picks with the 14 and that is what some of these so called pass rusher are

Gaede

Reaction score

I agree he's a better player. BUT, Pouncey also plays center and guard. And he has a pro-bowler brother. That kind of versatility and family history really changes how a prospect is rated

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Gaede;4435294 said:
I agree he's a better player. BUT, Pouncey also plays center and guard. And he has a pro-bowler brother. That kind of versatility and family history really changes how a prospect is rated

DeCastro has been said to be able to play center too.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4435282 said:
I agree. If there were DE/OLB grading out higher I would be singing their praises as our pick. There are some as you mentioned Ingram and I would not be unhappy with that pick. We may differ on Kirkpatrick but I would be happy with that pick. I would not be happy about dallas reaching for late 1st to 2rd picks with the 14 and that is what some of these so called pass rusher are

That about sums it up for me as well. Now, if this were last year's draft, I think Nate's point would be a little more compelling.

cowboysooner

Reaction score

Drafting Pouncey at 15, based on last year, was a mistake. Drafting Pouncey #1 at 18 was better because he was the better player and a proven elite center or guard.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sasquatch;4435439 said:
That about sums it up for me as well. Now, if this were last year's draft, I think Nate's point would be a little more compelling.

Hey Sas,

How have you been? Haven't spoken with you in awhile. Hope all things are good in your world.

You actually bring up a good point here. Last year, most fans believed that Smith was the highest rated, best player on the board for the Cowboys and he probably was at the time we picked but most also thought that Smith was rated higher then Aldon Smith as well. This is where it is interesting to me. It has been reported that had Aldon Smith been on the board, the Cowboys would have taken him. This suggests to me that the way the Cowboys are rating players may not necessarily be in line with what the majority of our Fans or even other scouting services use as criteria for ranking players.

I just get the feeling that Interior OL is not where the team is looking in the 1st round.

JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I would not be so quick to come to this conclusion. I think that part of why Pouncey went as high as he did is because he had a twin in the league who was already a Pro Bowl player. I think that contributed to how and why Mike Pouncey went as high as he did. He didn't test better then Maurkice Pouncey did and he was not as strong a player as Maurkice was, coming out of Florida. I think you have to take that into consideration as well.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4435520 said:
Hey Sas,

How have you been? Haven't spoken with you in awhile. Hope all things are good in your world.

You actually bring up a good point here. Last year, most fans believed that Smith was the highest rated, best player on the board for the Cowboys and he probably was at the time we picked but most also thought that Smith was rated higher then Aldon Smith as well. This is where it is interesting to me. It has been reported that had Aldon Smith been on the board, the Cowboys would have taken him. This suggests to me that the way the Cowboys are rating players may not necessarily be in line with what the majority of our Fans or even other scouting services use as criteria for ranking players.

I just get the feeling that Interior OL is not where the team is looking in the 1st round.

JMO

Good, good, the little fella keeps me very busy.

I'm in the DeCastro crowd at 14, although I wouldn't be surprised by a trade down even if DeCastro is there.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4435520 said:
Hey Sas,

JMO

True, while I see the reason why we would take DeCastro, I will be surprised if Jerry actually makes the pick. For Jerry to draft a franchise LT in Tyron is alot different than taking a guard that high.

As a former guard himself, seems like Jerry would think about it, but it also would seem he would know a lil about the position. Jerry gets made fun of alot, but he did win a National Championship and was a co-captain of the Hogs playing guard, so he might know a lil about it.

No matter what is said here, we do have to go by history, and that's definitely not in favor of us being the first team that takes a guard higher than any other team has in the 21st century.